• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auction has just started and set a new record for Action #1.
7 7

255 posts in this topic

On 4/7/2024 at 5:44 PM, Hepcat said:

What's the currently highest graded Action Comics 1?

???

Two in 9.0

On 4/7/2024 at 2:42 PM, Dark Knight said:

Not sure how this was freshly graded.  The book was graded in 2017.  I'm guessing it was just simply re-holdered?

Action 1 CGC 8.5.jpg

Yep seemingly reholdered, but with better page quality. I’m bummed, was really excited at the prospect of an undiscovered high grade copy 😭

Edited by LDarkseid1

Absolutely a gorgeous 8.5 copy.  Between the two 8.5 copies, this I think is the better looking one.  Love the colors and white colored covers with no tanning.  So if this book was just re-holdered, why did the PQ change from offwhite-white to white?  I thought if a book is re-holdered, nothing is changed from the old label.  

Funny how the PQ got better overtime too lol.  This absolutely proves once again (to all the naysayers) that PQ can change for better or worse if that same book is re-graded or in this instance, re-holdered.  It's all based on opinion I guess.

On 4/7/2024 at 6:53 PM, Dark Knight said:

Funny how the PQ got better overtime too lol.  This absolutely proves once again (to all the naysayers) that PQ can change for better or worse if that same book is re-graded or in this instance, re-holdered.  It's all based on opinion I guess.

They were generally tougher on PQ for old label grades.

On 4/7/2024 at 4:12 PM, adamstrange said:
On 4/7/2024 at 3:53 PM, Dark Knight said:

They were generally tougher on PQ for old label grades.

That's true as well for the 1st gen labels, but I have resubmitted books in newer labels just a few months apart to get pressed, and the PQ changed from white to offwhite-white and another from cream-offwhite to offwhite.

On 4/7/2024 at 7:55 PM, Dark Knight said:

That's true as well for the 1st gen labels, but I have resubmitted books in newer labels just a few months apart to get pressed, and the PQ changed from white to offwhite-white and another from cream-offwhite to offwhite.

Among the things that CGC guarantees, you will not find one for consistency.

On 4/5/2024 at 12:44 PM, zzutak said:

The Haunted Thrills #6 in CGC 9.2 ow-wh hammers at $50.4 k!  :whatthe:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:
I'm pretty sure the market value of my good friend's gorgeous snow-white-paged Spokane copy just took a big jump.  :headbang:

HT6-Spok.thumb.jpg.18c6f0de9245dbab6d5dfe0b2d87c60a.jpg

On 4/5/2024 at 1:01 PM, adamstrange said:

Spokane! :cloud9:

It's certainly a sought after cover but, were it to come up for auction, it's hard to predict the price without knowing how high the third highest bidder was willing to go.

On 4/5/2024 at 1:23 PM, Professor K said:

Yep that was one of the big surprises. 25k, 30 maybe. But 50k,  gee whiz.

Yep, totally agree with everybody here that this is definitely a shocker of a price for this book here.  :whatthe:

Not a PCH collector myself, but considering that there's 40 graded copies out there already and this copy here is only tied for the highest graded copy with a total of 7 copies in CGC 8.0 and above, price of > $50K definitely seems to have a lot of exuberance built into it.  hm  (shrug)

I guess it's got the best of both worlds here in terms of the skeleton and the Devil hinself on the cover.  Almost makes this supposedly harder to find skeleton cover more of a steal of a deal at an asking price of $25K OBO, especially considering that this copy here is the SINGLE highestgraded copy with only a totall of 11 copies in the census and only 3 copies in CGC 8.0 and above.  Then again, since it's from back in 1942 it's not considered to be part of the more highly desired PCH genre, but just more a run of the mill book from the far less exciting and more mundane GA time period:  :p  (shrug)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/116130997786?hash=item1b09f2661a%3Ag%3Az-4AAOSw1LxmDf34&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338846873&customid=a22a8105-fe85-4cdf-b597-b1507c180dd9&toolid=10049&gck=a22a8105-fe85-4cdf-b597-b1507c180dd9

Doc Savage Comics #10 CGC 9.2 Skull Cvr Highest Graded Copy Street & Smith 1942 - Picture 1 of 3

Edited by lou_fine

I did an interesting interview on the 6M$ sale of the Action #1 on the new collectable website called "cllct.com"..when you come up on the page, go to news and my interview will be the 3/4 th down. If someone wants to link it...it would be great...I think I was spot on!

This was a very important milestone sale.

Edited by Mmehdy

• Administrator
On 4/8/2024 at 1:24 PM, Mmehdy said:

I did an interesting interview on the 6M$ sale of the Action #1 on the new collectable website called "cllct.com"..when you come up on the page, go to news and my interview will be the 3/4 th down. If someone wants to link it...it would be great...I think I was spot on!

https://www.cllct.com/cllct/posts/meet-the-man-who-always-believed-in-the-world-s-most-expensive-comic-book

On 4/8/2024 at 10:24 AM, Mmehdy said:

Here's a clearer pic of Mitch and his seemingly nice copy of Action 1 from a press photo that was once auctioned (hence the watermark).  If you want to know whether you own the original World Record Action 1, there appears to be a stamp on the comic to the right of the N in Action that has two lines.

.image.jpeg.80feb3701ff9ace4029c94c4a94c3fec.jpeg

I initially perceived that as "parking ticket lawyer" and was trying to figure out how you could keep from starving to death, much less buy any awesome comic books.

Hope you still have your " seemingly nice" copy but don't blame you for declining to reveal.

On 4/8/2024 at 11:14 AM, MattTheDuck said:

I initially perceived that as "parking ticket lawyer" and was trying to figure out how you could keep from starving to death, much less buy any awesome comic books.

Hope you still have your " seemingly nice" copy but don't blame you for declining to reveal.

Well, Mitch says it was a 5.0 but I'm thinking nicer based on the pic. 

On 4/7/2024 at 7:01 PM, woowoo said:

Who knew rust makes paper better page quality.hm

It also worked for the KC copy, originally Off-white as an 8.0, now Off-white to White as an 8.5

Lesson as always - the longer you keep rust with your books, the better it is for them.

Edited by Crowzilla

On 4/8/2024 at 2:49 PM, Crowzilla said:

It also worked for the KC copy, originally Off-white as an 8.0, not Off-white to White as an 8.5

Lesson as always - the longer you keep rust with your books, the better it is for them.

Of course. The rust gets worse thus the contrast to the paper makes the pages seem more white. We should all strive to collect rusty staple books and just hold onto them until it’s time to regrade for an upgrade in page quality.