• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The JSA acquisition is going to be a game changer for Signed non witnessed books
5 5

114 posts in this topic

On 5/10/2024 at 3:29 PM, Ron C. said:

I would hope that CGC/JSA would authenticate the signature as that of George Perez. Since the sharpie on the front has made markings on what would otherwise be a 9.8 book, hopefully the other marker additions would not decrease the grade. I am looking forward to seeing how CGC interprets this.

George Perez Hulk 2012 Kurt Michael 2017.gif

I think you've hit on an important point there.  This particular book would be a good candidate for submission BECAUSE of the type of pen used (soft tipped marker).  A ball-point pen signature may hold up better over time, but the impression of that pen signature will likely cause a down-grade for the condition.

Thinking of sending your unwitnessed signed/sketched books in for the CGC x JSA label? You might want to read this - just received this message from CGC:

"At this time, the CGC grading department has determined that if a sketch affects the grade, then it will prompt a Green Label in order to avoid a large downgrade. With how large these J. Scott Campbell sketches are on your books that you showed us; this would be the case. That being said, the signature will still be JSA authenticated and if deemed authentic, will reflect that signature text on the label (although the label will not be the black color CGC JSA label, it will still be the green qualified label. We cannot guarantee the grade will remain 9.8 either if you submit them. I hope this information suffices."

Photo of book shared with CGC is this remarked Spider-Gwen I had considered submitting for the new label.

20240531_202557.jpg

It says in the submission process that they will only verify 2 sign. I have a copy of asm#500 signed by Stan Lee, John Romita, and John Romita Jr. It allowed me to include all three sigs. It charged me the $25 verification fee 3 times and I completed the submission successfully. Does anyone know if It will run into any road blocks upon arrival at CGC?

On 6/7/2024 at 7:20 AM, NathanF said:

It says in the submission process that they will only verify 2 sign. I have a copy of asm#500 signed by Stan Lee, John Romita, and John Romita Jr. It allowed me to include all three sigs. It charged me the $25 verification fee 3 times and I completed the submission successfully. Does anyone know if It will run into any road blocks upon arrival at CGC?

@MattM CS might know, or worth a call to cgc if you've already mailed them off :) Welcome to the Boards! ^^ 

On 6/7/2024 at 8:20 AM, NathanF said:

I think you are getting 2 of the services confused.  There is autograph authentication which is $25 each and that is unlimited # of autographs.  Then there is the autograph grading which has a 2 sig limit and costs $25 each.  

On 6/7/2024 at 8:20 AM, waynemel said:
On 6/7/2024 at 7:20 AM, NathanF said:

I think you are getting 2 of the services confused.  There is autograph authentication which is $25 each and that is unlimited # of autographs.  Then there is the autograph grading which has a 2 sig limit and costs $25 each.  

That was my take as well, double checking lol 

On 6/7/2024 at 8:20 PM, NathanF said:

I thought they can verify as many autos you are willing to pay for at $25 a pop, but only up to 2 autos if grading the autos.

On 6/7/2024 at 5:20 AM, NathanF said:

This process is extremely new.  If I were considering submission for multiple verifications and/or verifications mixed with new signatures, I would 1000% contact CGC customer service with my specific situation and get it IN WRITING how my specific situation would be addressed, especially if there were inconsistencies with policy and the online forms. 

And if I wasn't satisfied with the answer, I would hold off on submitting until CGC straightens out their process.  We'd all like to believe a company would seamlessly roll out a new product line, but that is pretty rare, and the early going is more likely to have bumps.  Some people prefer not to risk being one of the bumps.  If you do, fantastic.  But there's still actions you can take to A) mitigate the chances of bumps, and B) expedite the resolution of issues should bumps occur.

One of those actions MIGHT be asking random internet strangers about their guesses about what a brand new policy they've never interacted with.  Or one could directly ask the paid employees of the company they are entrusting their valued collectibles and money to.  Your actual physical money is literally paying for CGC customer service to answer these questions, I can't understand why someone wouldn't want the official answers.

• Administrator
On 6/7/2024 at 8:20 AM, NathanF said:

For autograph authentication, it costs $25 per autograph.  To my knowledge, there is no limit in the amount of signatures that can be authenticated on a book.

For autograph grading, there is a limit of 2 autographs per book.  Here is some more details regarding this.

Can I get my autograph(s) graded?

Yes. If you would like your autograph(s) to be graded by JSA, select the “JSA Autograph Grading” option when filling out the CGC online submission form. The fee is $25 per comic book, with discounts available for paid members. Only comics with two or fewer autographs are eligible to receive an autograph grade. (For comics with two autographs, the autograph grade will reflect the combined grade of both autographs.) The autograph grade will be printed on the back of the CGC x JSA label.

There is also a prescreen option for autograph grades. If the autograph meets or exceeds your minimum grade, your autograph grade will be printed on the CGC x JSA label; if it does not, the autograph grading fee will be refunded less a $9 reject fee. Please note that the full JSA autograph authentication fees will still apply. For a complete list of CGC Comics services and fees, go here.

Note: Autograph grading is NOT available for submissions of comics with witnessed signatures.

Why is there a two-autograph maximum for autograph grading?

When autograph grading is selected, the comic receives a single autograph grade. Attempting to blend the autograph grade across three or more autographs could add ambiguity to the grade.

Thinking of sending my Batman 244 signed by Neal Adams and Denny O'Neil in.  I believe the final cost will be $115.  Weighing the pros and cons.  Probably between a 6 and 7.

batman2443.thumb.jpg.6dd39f71ed1abb146f9d4f6ffd07554c.jpg

On 6/8/2024 at 2:17 PM, Ron C. said:

The new labels do look really nice though.

FF1 Alex Ross A 98 Verified combined.jpg

Marvel 2 in 1 Ross 98 combined.jpg

Avengers 674 Ross 98 combined verified.jpg

FF 1 Ross combined.jpg

What was your turnaround time on these? I've had 4 books in the Grading/Encapsulating stage for what will be about month here in a few days. I've had other books be received, graded & already back to me since then. Just curious what to expect. I figured they got a ton of books in all at once for the service.

On 6/8/2024 at 4:42 PM, Vince1313 said:

What was your turnaround time on these? I've had 4 books in the Grading/Encapsulating stage for what will be about month here in a few days. I've had other books be received, graded & already back to me since then. Just curious what to expect. I figured they got a ton of books in all at once for the service.

CGC was pretty quick with these.... 2+ weeks.

On 6/8/2024 at 4:51 PM, Ron C. said:

CGC was pretty quick with these.... 2+ weeks.

About the same for me with my JSA books.