• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Art Live May 2024
3 3

161 posts in this topic

On 5/13/2024 at 1:17 PM, malvin said:

3. The Saved keyword features indirectly made me buy less. Before I would type out search words I could think of and look at all galleries. With the emailed key word matches, I was only searching other additional keywords I could think of, and didn't look at all galleries

Malvin

Someone talked about giving awards as incentives and I think Malvin should be given a spirit award for consistently bringing fresh to market art priced to sell.

The wantlist keyword feature is awesome. The May CAL is never a good weekend for me and usually CAL is over for me before it even begins just according to the keyword feature. I can move on with my weekend. 

This time around I went through all the pieces on Saturday throughout the entire day. Never know what you can come across that you’ve never thought to search. For example, trading card art and Jack Kirby’s Super Powers art for me. Found some stuff though I couldn’t afford the prices. Also, in the recap video Bill talked about “What If” being a search term that doesn’t quite work. And lastly, some sellers just don’t know how to create useful titles. If a secondary character is featured in the art, they often leave that out as a tag. Only way to find them is by going through the art one by one. 

On 5/12/2024 at 10:12 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Why is Comiclink permitted to post $0 dollar items?

I dislike this practice as well.  All items listed in booths should be available for outright sale and not an auction listing.  It means I have to scroll through an additional 2-3 unnecessary pages.

Also, I have received emails concerning my CAF Live Saved Artworks for price reductions.  However, when I click on the listing in the email, it takes me to a CAF page for subscribing to CAF Live updates.  I guess I’d have to contact the seller directly on his regular gallery page but his prices are still too high for my budget (especially after I’ve already committed myself to a purchase).  Which is really too bad because one piece is really awesome and I’d love to add it to my villain collection!

On 5/13/2024 at 2:58 PM, Benedict Judas Hel said:

Also, I have received emails concerning my CAF Live Saved Artworks for price reductions.  However, when I click on the listing in the email, it takes me to a CAF page for subscribing to CAF Live updates.  I guess I’d have to contact the seller directly on his regular gallery page but his prices are still too high for my budget (especially after I’ve already committed myself to a purchase).  Which is really too bad because one piece is really awesome and I’d love to add it to my villain collection!

If you change your mind at any time, all you would have to do is hit reply to that email and now you’d be replying directly to the seller’s personal email. 

On 5/13/2024 at 3:51 PM, John E. said:

If you change your mind at any time, all you would have to do is hit reply to that email and now you’d be replying directly to the seller’s personal email. 

Thank you very much sir!  I always like to reply to all emails about possible negotiations even if just to say “no thank you”.

I liked it.  I listed a handful of stuff above where I felt the market was.  I only sold one artwork but was pleasantly surprised to have multiple buyers in line for that one.  There was no real need to sell anything but it was fun to put a few pieces up and meet some other collectors in the process.

On 5/12/2024 at 3:18 PM, Fischb1 said:

In my own defense (as you compare me to the Donellys), if you watched me on Bill's show any of the 3 times I did amateur dueling dealers, I commonly sell art at cost or under my cost. Last time I did Dueling dealers I sold like 16k worth and I was negative 1k from what I'd spent on the art. I don't usually care or try to make a profit on art I sell. But my collection has been narrowed down so much (I own about 45 pages), that almost anything I'm selling now, I don't really want to sell. I guess it's possible that the Donellys feel that way about all their pieces? I don't know, I can't talk for them. 

I look at it like this. Nobody owes me a FMV price on anything (particularly one of a kind items).

The only harm done is to the person who didn't get my money for wanting too much for it and given that these are collectors (for the most part) and these things are the very definition of non-necessity, actually selling it just isn't that important.

Anything else is just crying.

On 5/13/2024 at 7:49 PM, redrighthand said:

I look at it like this. Nobody owes me a FMV price on anything (particularly one of a kind items).

The only harm done is to the person who didn't get my money for wanting too much for it and given that these are collectors (for the most part) and these things are the very definition of non-necessity, actually selling it just isn't that important.

Anything else is just crying.

This is my favorite post I've read about original art collecting.  Well said and good perspective.

On 5/12/2024 at 7:19 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

image.png.8d9751e5532e5bbde556107d134b207c.pngimage.png.1358ad53630a6a457b02d5f442dc9764.pngimage.png.11f653f95214e582f297b3fc5d8527f3.pngimage.png.a26621c55a9a75f63e790b3030a3353f.png

(shrug) who cares?

image.png.5538366a4db56f0d765766f3c4abcddc.png

we are dangerously close to:

"1st appearance of Deadpool holding a chimichanga in his left hand!"

"True first appearance of Etrigan the Demon ending a sentence in a preposition just to make it rhyme!"

"First appearance "Story continued after next page" paste-up in a Marvel New Universe book!"

First time an X-men character written by Claremont says "body and soul" dialog (ok that might be slightly interesting)

Zabu's first hariball!

That Video Jack page that was listed as being the first appearance of Aliens in a Marvel comic is incorrect in that Keith Giffen had NOTHING to do with that art at all. That art was drawn entirely by Joe Barney and Dave Hunt. There isn't a single line of Keith Giffen on that page.

On 5/12/2024 at 9:53 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

check the flip thread- there's a Romita piece in comicart-live right now that sold in the Wednesday HA and is marked up double. it hasn't shipped, probably hasn't even been paid for. Are they high? 

When I went to CAF Live, that was the very first thing I noticed.

Fun event overall. I too was a first time exhibitor and I think the key thing is to go in with low expectations. I told myself if I sell one piece great and if I sell nothing great too, as I love and cherish my collection just as most of you do. With that said, I ended up selling 3 pieces all together and it was great to establish new connections. I should add all 3 pieces were what we'd call "fresh to market" never auctioned, never seen on CAF or anything, so there is definite truth to that thought. Overall, I think it was a great experience and had a few others reach out since then interested in other pieces, but I think I did just fine and may hold the line for now.

You honestly can't find another venue to have 330 exhibitors and 5000+ pieces offered with little to no fees other than the entry 35 or 75 for premium for year in today's world. I will add, I think it's important to keep the items fresh and not constantly recycled, or at least not most or all of your items or there is little to no excitement. Kudos to Bill and Kasra, as I'll surely be back for the next one!:)

On 5/14/2024 at 12:15 PM, 1classics said:

I think it's important to keep the items fresh and not constantly recycled, or at least not most or all of your items or there is little to no excitement.

Good point here.  I felt like I had seen a lot of what was offered.  It reminded me of thrift store shopping in my college days though.  Gotta sort through a lot of trash to find the treasure.

I like the event, and thought this edition of CAL had some fresh art on display, even though a lot was (IMHO) overpriced. I'm sure some people would say the same about some art I had listed for sale. I only sold 1 piece but it was a nice page that I got for a bargain on Heritage and was able to make a quick profit on it ... which of course is going towards MORE art.

I was hoping for more back & forth with potential buyers, but maybe that was my fault for not putting a better description.

Overall, I enjoy the event and think it serves a nice purpose, especially for collectors who can't get to any of the major art shows.

On 5/15/2024 at 8:45 AM, fsumavila said:

I like the event, and thought this edition of CAL had some fresh art on display, even though a lot was (IMHO) overpriced. I'm sure some people would say the same about some art I had listed for sale. I only sold 1 piece but it was a nice page that I got for a bargain on Heritage and was able to make a quick profit on it ... which of course is going towards MORE art.

I was hoping for more back & forth with potential buyers, but maybe that was my fault for not putting a better description.

Overall, I enjoy the event and think it serves a nice purpose, especially for collectors who can't get to any of the major art shows.

I enjoyed it as well. I thought this edition maybe suffered a bit from the weather warming up, pre-Como show and maybe a little buyer fatigue. Also, I haven't been one to complain as much as others about the pricing in past CAL events, but, I thought prices did look more overpriced this time around than in previous editions.

I also didn't think the selection was as good this time - I didn't see anything really up my alley in the Saturday drop, but, thankfully a couple of things dropped on Sunday that fit my interest and that I purchased. 

Never participated in ComicArtLive as seller.  About half the time, I have something going on (or don't feel like looking).  I've bought 1 piece each in November 2020, May 2021 and this past weekend.

On 5/15/2024 at 1:08 PM, cstojano said:

I sold my first piece during a CAL and was happy to only book a 1k loss!

Sorry to hear about your loss, my perspective is to try to compare it to market value (which is hard to definitely nail down). If your $1k loss is $1K above market value, it's still a win!

Malvin