• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone thing there is a need for a newbie want to buy section?
2 2

Does anyone thing there is a need for a newbie want to buy section?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do we need a newbie want to buy forum?

• Yes, we need one for people under 100 posts
    • Yes, we need one for users under 50 posts
    • No, we do not need one.
    • Crack

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 05/30/2024 at 05:00 PM

41 posts in this topic

• Administrator
On 5/13/2024 at 1:39 PM, Get Marwood & I said:
On 5/13/2024 at 1:34 PM, CGC Mike said:

That is a good point.  

Yes, sorry about that. Unless I'm misunderstanding you, it sort of invalidates the proposal, doesn't it. 

Well, our members that have over 50 posts are still protected as much as I currently can.  My proposal would give new members the same forum we had for 20 years.  It would not have the protection I put in place a year or so ago for our current forum.  

Posted (edited)

I wanted to vote for crack for old time's sake, but played it straight and voted no. 50 posts does not seem like much of an impediment to me if you really want to be here, and like Mike said, since he's implemented that policy there's been zero WTB scam complaints.

Edited by Dick Pontoon

No. Completely unnecessary. 

The sales forums are for COMMUNITY members, not drop-ins. 

50 posts is not an unreasonable requirement. 

On 5/13/2024 at 6:45 PM, CGC Mike said:

Well, our members that have over 50 posts are still protected as much as I currently can.  My proposal would give new members the same forum we had for 20 years.  It would not have the protection I put in place a year or so ago for our current forum.  

That's true, but it sort of sends the message that you're less concerned about newbies being scammed than those with post counts over 50. I'm not sure that's the message I'd want to promote. People are people, scamming is scamming. Protections should apply across the board, I think. The spirit of your thinking was good and noble, but the application proposed doesn't work. I would stick to the rule you brought in to limit scammers. It seems to have worked, as you said, and it's not unreasonable to ask those seeking to buy and sell here to be reasonably active community members. 

• Administrator

So, what do I do with all of the people that are making their first post a WTB post?  I guess the best answer would be to:

Approve, move out of public view and notify the person of our policy for the WTB forum.  (the reason for approval is they will then be able to post normally, and not have to wait for another approval.)

On 5/13/2024 at 7:00 PM, CGC Mike said:

So, what do I do with all of the people that are making their first post a WTB post?  I guess the best answer would be to:

Approve, move out of public view and notify the person of our policy for the WTB forum.  (the reason for approval is they will then be able to post normally, and not have to wait for another approval.)

Yes, that's as good a process as any. If they're reasonable, they'll appreciate the heads up and proceed accordingly. 

On 5/12/2024 at 6:12 AM, CGC Mike said:

Hi

I am seeing several WTB posts from users making their first post.  Does anyone else think there is a need for a newbie WTB section for low post count users?  There are users who do not post much at all, and I am sure they would appreciate having this forum.  What do you think? 

It's a bit of a pickle.  Without some level of posting requirement we'd likely see more fraudulent WTB threads but on the other hand we want to be welcoming and encourage new members.

I'm not a fan of a newbie WTB section.  Would it be possible for a disclaimer to be displayed in their sig line or under their profile picture, where mine says 'member' to draw attention to their low post count?

On 5/13/2024 at 5:55 AM, CGC Mike said:

It really isn't that hard to make 50 legitimate posts.  However, I will not allow a new user to spend 10 minutes posting emojis just to hit 50.  If they are caught, their post count will be reset to 1.

Just hang out in the "Hey Buddy can you spare a grade" forum and give honest opinions on books for a few days. You'll be at 50 in no time.

Also, you can purchase items in the Forum Marketplace and each time you post the :takeit: sign you get credit for the post. One of our friendly and courteous sellers will be happy to sell you some cool books AND drain your wallet at the same time (thumbsu

Could a time element being added? Like the person who posted that has been a member for years but hasn't posted much. Could it be something like 50 posts or a year of setting up your account?

On 5/13/2024 at 5:19 AM, CAHokie said:

I voted no because it is supposed to be a community, not just a place to pop in to score a book. I know there are exceptions of there being long term members that just prefer not to post. Maybe 50 posts or a year on the boards?

I'm in this boat - there are soooooo many options for people to find books online, why muddy up the boards here to mimic everyone else? I say keep it the way it is and encourage people to participate in the community, maybe by 50 posts they've made some friends and an enemy or two to make being here interesting.

On 5/13/2024 at 4:33 PM, shadroch said:

May I suggest that a committee be formed to examine whether a committee is needed to look into this?

MRW I see a Blazing Saddles gif make it to the front page - GIF - Imgur

-bc

On 5/13/2024 at 1:48 PM, dick pontoon said:

I wanted to vote for crack for old time's sake

I saw this choice on some old survey threads. What does this mean? I have over 500 posts now and I still haven't figured that out.:691460725_armsraised:

Maybe you should be a bit established before joining in the commerce here? Buying and selling here is a little different then say eBay there is alot of trust and credibility involved I don't think it's too much to ask to be atleast a little established on the forums.

• Administrator
On 5/13/2024 at 3:59 PM, wombat said:

Could a time element being added? Like the person who posted that has been a member for years but hasn't posted much. Could it be something like 50 posts or a year of setting up your account?

Well, it could be.  However, I believe I would have to manually set this person's post count.  I don't mind doing this.  

• Administrator
On 5/13/2024 at 2:54 PM, Kramerica said:

Just hang out in the "Hey Buddy can you spare a grade" forum and give honest opinions on books for a few days. You'll be at 50 in no time.

Also, you can purchase items in the Forum Marketplace and each time you post the :takeit: sign you get credit for the post. One of our friendly and courteous sellers will be happy to sell you some cool books AND drain your wallet at the same time (thumbsu

Good suggestions.

My feeling is that there's enough scammers out there posing as legit buyers out there that making people put in some effort to be part of the community before being able to solicit business from other forumites is still worthwhile. While not a guarantee someone is on the up and up, at the very least it will discourage the garden variety scumbags I see constantly popping up on FB groups and IG. 

On 5/13/2024 at 6:05 AM, Jayman said:

Fully agree there! That’s why I said strike up a conversation or post your opinion. (thumbsu

When I had a low post count I would go to the "Please Grade My" section and pop down grades. :shy: