• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
22 22

1,498 posts in this topic

• Administrator
On 7/22/2024 at 9:03 PM, DanJD said:

Based on the last communication I received, it seems that they will not be re-pressing and re-grading the book as I was told by Mike and will just be “reholdered and returned to me”.

I e-mailed the team they just replied back and apologized for misspeaking.  Your book is going to be pressed and regraded.  (thumbsu

On 7/22/2024 at 9:11 PM, DanJD said:

Just admitting that they know of the warping and find it acceptable is ridiculous.  Any reasonable person would understand that if you bend a this comic like that, it will crease the spine.  

At the risk of voicing an unpopular opinion, I believe this is a questionable blanket statement. 

When this thread popped up I checked the inner wells of a couple of dozen of my slabs and I found a couple with a bend. Those books are clean copies and the bend did not damage them at all. I do believe that if a book has ticks the bend may make them appear more pronounced. For example, if a book has a spine tick on the front a bow where the middle pushes upward may make that tick show more. I also believe there may potentially be some damage in cases where the bow is extreme, but given the lack of area for play within the width of the case I doubt it would cause much outside of worsening the look of what is already there. 

To continue with what I am sure will be an unpopular opinion, there may be instances where extra play within the case causes shaken book syndrome during shipping and issues along those lines which are actually much more serious. If I saw post-grading damage I would be checked how secure the inner well is ahead of trying to spot a small bow in it. 

On 7/22/2024 at 8:52 PM, Stefan_W said:

At the risk of voicing an unpopular opinion, I believe this is a questionable blanket statement. 

When this thread popped up I checked the inner wells of a couple of dozen of my slabs and I found a couple with a bend. Those books are clean copies and the bend did not damage them at all. I do believe that if a book has ticks the bend may make them appear more pronounced. For example, if a book has a spine tick on the front a bow where the middle pushes upward may make that tick show more. I also believe there may potentially be some damage in cases where the bow is extreme, but given the lack of area for play within the width of the case I doubt it would cause much outside of worsening the look of what is already there. 

To continue with what I am sure will be an unpopular opinion, there may be instances where extra play within the case causes shaken book syndrome during shipping and issues along those lines which are actually much more serious. If I saw post-grading damage I would be checked how secure the inner well is ahead of trying to spot a small bow in it. 

You are correct about any blanket statement.  And yes, not all would be creased by a warped inner well.  But you get the point.  It increases the odds of damaging the book further.  A bend serves as a weak point and can become a deeper crease or color breaking spine tick.  It takes a freshly pressed book and makes it look the opposite.  It clearly doesn’t happen to all books, but I struggle to see how that is an acceptable outcome when you pay for a book to be graded in that moment and attempt to preserve that said grade.

With the Newport Beach folks and their very deep pockets approaching, now is the time for CGC to step up it's overall game especially quality control.  Now is not the time to practice the Ostrich method!

As was pointed out earlier in this thread Oreo's were the upstart! So too were Lego's and the Big Mac....

Edited by MAR1979

It seems very odd to offer a add-on service “Pressing” thru CCS with every grading submission which advertised the ability to remove “curves” and “bends”:

IMG_3238.thumb.jpeg.f48f59a0aa0cc5b255ad8d7fbf6e0834.jpeg

And then say they’re okay with their inner wells causing a slight curve. 

So you’re asking people to pay you to take a curve out for you to then say it’s acceptable to put a curve back in as the “inner well cools”?:facepalm:

On 7/23/2024 at 12:39 PM, MadGenius said:

This is a terrible response from CS. A slight curve is not a normal characteristic of the wells. This is a new phenomenon. I know because I've compared the slabs that were graded this year with those from past years and the curve is not present at all in the older graded slabs.

Indeed.

None of the slabs I own, about 2000, have a curved well.

I've now looked at over 500 of my slabs. The only 4 with issues were slabbed after Jan 30, 2024.  Which equals 100% of regular comics I have/purchased that were graded/disabled in 2024.

While CGC Customer Service was very professional and a true pleasure to deal with, I've still not received the return address label promised. 

@CGC Mike if you are permitted to step in I'd like to share my ticket # with you via PM

"The Four" grading dates:
Jan 31 2024 = 2
Mar 14 2024 = 1
June 12 2024 = 1

Edited by MAR1979

• Administrator
On 7/23/2024 at 2:08 PM, MAR1979 said:

@CGC Mike if you are permitted to step in I'd like to share my ticket # with you via PM

Hi

I recommend starting a thread in the Ask CGC section regarding this.  Other options would be to call, text or e-mail customer service.  I would not be able to do anything more than this anyways.  Sorry.

Every book I receive back, I look for how it presents  in the slab. I have had books from components with crooked labels and even books inside. 

I haven't had to worry about that with the big 2 

So far.....

Edited by Ninja0215

On 7/22/2024 at 6:08 PM, Dave616 said:

Please note that this slight curve is a normal characteristic of how the wells cool and is not considered a defect.

Perhaps they should wait for the plastic to cool before putting the comic against/inside it.  hm

Should I be taking pictures of one of my December 2023 submissions with warped inner wells and posting them here?  :facepalm:  I don't think I'll be able to sell them...

On 7/24/2024 at 2:04 PM, Yorick said:

Perhaps they should wait for the plastic to cool before putting the comic against/inside it.  hm

Should I be taking pictures of one of my December 2023 submissions with warped inner wells and posting them here?  :facepalm:  I don't think I'll be able to sell them...

:( seems I need to move my cut-off date back as well as check out my Oct 2023 self submitted Silver Age order

On 7/23/2024 at 9:39 AM, MadGenius said:

This is a terrible response from CS. A slight curve is not a normal characteristic of the wells. This is a new phenomenon. I know because I've compared the slabs that were graded this year with those from past years and the curve is not present at all in the older graded slabs.

To be fair, of the 200 or so books I got with the curved well, most were only very slightly curved. Slight enough that I never would have even noticed had it not been for the few that were badly curved and causing damage. I do not think the ones that are only slightly curved are causing any damage, they have to bow pretty bad before they will stress the spine. 

On 7/22/2024 at 8:08 PM, Dave616 said:

From CGC Customer Service to me on June 6th:

Serena (Certified Collectibles Group)

Jun 6, 2024, 04:21 GMT-12

Hello David, 
 I hope this message finds you well, I am reaching out on behalf of my receiving team. We have received the five slabs sent in as Mechanical Errors (ME) due to the wells being described as "warped and bowed."
 Please note that this slight curve is a normal characteristic of how the wells cool and is not considered a defect. As such, these do not qualify as Mechanical Errors and will be rejected and sent back to you. 
 Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Serena
Customer Service
Certified Collectibles Group
p. (855) Grade10 | (855) 472-3310
collectiblesgroup.com

Whoa!!

On 7/23/2024 at 5:39 PM, CGC Mike said:

Hi

I recommend starting a thread in the Ask CGC section regarding this.  Other options would be to call, text or e-mail customer service.  I would not be able to do anything more than this anyways.  Sorry.

I would go with the other options.  I started a thread for an error on two labels in the ask CGC section and they pulled my topic and Kailee has ghosted me.  

Edited by PhantomEwan

• Administrator
On 7/25/2024 at 11:00 AM, PhantomEwan said:

I would go with the other options.  I started a thread for an error on two labels in the ask CGC section and they pulled my topic and Kailee has ghosted me.  

When did this happen?