• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
25 25

1,685 posts in this topic

On 8/20/2024 at 8:56 PM, Phil Coulson said:

The answer is to use the other grading service.  All things are not equal but they don't damage the comics, they seem to have more accurate grading at present, and their cases are very nice.

Can me weird, but I am typically distrustful when someone with less than a dozen lifetime posts comes around and starts saying people should use other grading services. 

• Administrator
On 8/21/2024 at 8:36 AM, Stefan_W said:
On 8/20/2024 at 8:56 PM, Phil Coulson said:

The answer is to use the other grading service.  All things are not equal but they don't damage the comics, they seem to have more accurate grading at present, and their cases are very nice.

Can me weird, but I am typically distrustful when someone with less than a dozen lifetime posts comes around and starts saying people should use other grading services. 

While we do allow criticism, we do not allow promoting our competitors.  Going forward, warnings will be issued for violating this terms of use rule.

On 8/21/2024 at 8:36 AM, Stefan_W said:

image.gif.6a1657cbe225b3127bc9e02f96fd1222.gif

On 8/20/2024 at 5:53 PM, Benjamin1977 said:

@MAR1979 and @electricprune Appreciate it! I submitted a ME request, I'll post when I get a response. 

Was going to add if needed put painters tape on the slab and point to the issues and write on the form with more information.

This is what I was told on the phone dealing with the 2 books that got rejected for ME. I am still dealing with them hoping to get resolved.

Edited by Skytripa

Sending ME used to be a relatively straight forward affair as most long-time CGC grading aficionados recall. Based on what I have been reading on the boards for quite a while, not having sent an ME in roughly three years, it is too often, I'll say, tiresome to receive approval for an ME submission.

Thankfully, from what I also read on the boards, Mike is extremely helpful in resolving ME submission requests if he is able.

On 8/20/2024 at 5:56 PM, Phil Coulson said:

I beg to differ. Their cases may not be damaging books but they most certainly have damaged books and refuse to take any responsibility for it (and the damage was MUCH more severe than what the CGC wells are currently doing)... their grading is still kaka based on what I'm seeing online and the 2 slabs I've bought recently. As for their cases being nice... sure.

On 8/20/2024 at 5:56 PM, Phil Coulson said:

The other grading service is still getting 10-20% less in auctions for the same grade of the same book. Even looking at books sold on eBay recently graded by CGC which may have bends as you can’t tell from the eBay photos they are still commanding more $ than the other guys

Until that changes not too many are going to switch to the other guys and I don’t really see that happening. I’d imagine many will instead hold back from submitting altogether if they are so inclined until this is resolved. Which seems like a more reasonable thing to do than to hastily start subbing to an inferior product that may or may not even survive the new player entering the market next year. 

On 8/21/2024 at 5:17 PM, wiparker824 said:

The other grading service is still getting 10-20% less in auctions for the same grade of the same book. Even looking at books sold on eBay recently graded by CGC which may have bends as you can’t tell from the eBay photos they are still commanding more $ than the other guys

Until that changes not too many are going to switch to the other guys and I don’t really see that happening. I’d imagine many will instead hold back from submitting altogether if they are so inclined until this is resolved. Which seems like a more reasonable thing to do than to hastily start subbing to an inferior product that may or may not even survive the new player entering the market next year. 

EGerber, bcemylar, BCW all sell Mylar :)

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/22/2024 at 10:59 AM, dbcn said:

I just got 2 slabs back that I had sent in for a repress that were curved in the slab - both came back fine, there is still a slight curve, but not nearly as bad and it doesn't look severe enough to do damage. 

So you had to pay them again to get it fixed?

On 8/22/2024 at 2:09 PM, Yorick said:

So you had to pay them again to get it fixed?

No, they covered the cost of the repress - I contacted customer service and gave them the story & argued that they should cover the repress, and just made the cut off to send them back as MEs.

They did say something to the effect of 'a slight curve is acceptable in encapsulation' and that they would not consider future ME submissions with curves as qualifying for a ME.

Which, doesn't really solve the problem if books are going to be curved enough to damage the books - seems like something QA should keep an eye out for.

Edited by dbcn

On 8/21/2024 at 7:36 AM, Stefan_W said:

Stefan, about 90% of my slabs are from CGC.  I don't post that much anywhere, more of a lurker but this issue hit me personally so I'm a little ticked off about it.  I hate to see an issue like this that everyone knows is a problem and then see poor responses from CGC about resolution.  They rule the market but lots of recent issues, this one near the top, makes you wonder about their future success.  

I submitted 10 comics for 9.8 pre-screen in May and 9 of them got the 9.8 grade.  I just decided to check them for bending since I really didnt inspect them too much when I got them back.

3 of them have minor "acceptable" bends, and 3 have what I'd call "unacceptable" larger bends.  But, when I was inspecting them I noticed that 2 of them had pretty noticeable front-cover spine ticks (non color-breaking) that absolutely were NOT there when I submitted them.  In one of those cases, the tick/bend is so severe that there really no way the book would have gotten a 9.8 in the first place.  I'm kind of upset now both with CGC and with myself for not thoroughly checking the books when they came back.

Do I have any recourse with those 2 books, or do I just accept that I now have a 9.8 book with a very noticeable tick/bend in the front cover?