• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
25 25

1,692 posts in this topic

On 8/22/2024 at 6:41 PM, 0r0d said:

I submitted 10 comics for 9.8 pre-screen in May and 9 of them got the 9.8 grade.  I just decided to check them for bending since I really didnt inspect them too much when I got them back.

3 of them have minor "acceptable" bends, and 3 have what I'd call "unacceptable" larger bends.  But, when I was inspecting them I noticed that 2 of them had pretty noticeable front-cover spine ticks (non color-breaking) that absolutely were NOT there when I submitted them.  In one of those cases, the tick/bend is so severe that there really no way the book would have gotten a 9.8 in the first place.  I'm kind of upset now both with CGC and with myself for not thoroughly checking the books when they came back.

Do I have any recourse with those 2 books, or do I just accept that I now have a 9.8 book with a very noticeable tick/bend in the front cover?

It’s probably too late to return them under Mechanical Error. You could try to send an email with pics to them, but it’s likely futile unfortunately.

On 8/22/2024 at 7:28 PM, electricprune said:

It’s probably too late to return them under Mechanical Error. You could try to send an email with pics to them, but it’s likely futile unfortunately.

it wont make up for you items that were damaged, but why should you or anyone have to pay for said damage? via a dispute/chargeback with you credit card issuer you may be able to get a tiny modicum of satisfaction.

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/22/2024 at 5:36 PM, Phil Coulson said:

Stefan, about 90% of my slabs are from CGC.  I don't post that much anywhere, more of a lurker but this issue hit me personally so I'm a little ticked off about it.  I hate to see an issue like this that everyone knows is a problem and then see poor responses from CGC about resolution.  They rule the market but lots of recent issues, this one near the top, makes you wonder about their future success.  

Sure, and there is a ton of frustration over the bent inner well situation. But your post was all about promoting another grading service which raised red flags. 

Yes. 2 of my books came back this way and because of it even though they’re 9.8’s they have creases from the sides and it doesn’t look good. I didn’t want to post about it because I just got them back but yes I am not happy they’re done lay flat in there and they don’t present well from the side because of it. What’s weird is you can’t tell from looking at it from the top/front. Only from the side. 

IMG_4679.jpeg

IMG_4678.jpeg

Screen Shot 2024-08-16 at 12.15.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-08-16 at 12.14.47 PM.png

On 8/22/2024 at 8:54 PM, Stefan_W said:

Does anyone know whether sig authentication books are also coming back with curved inner wells?  

I just checked my JSA cgc books and neither have the issue but it may be the covers are more card stock 

On 8/22/2024 at 6:40 PM, Berkfam54 said:

Yes. 2 of my books came back this way and because of it even though they’re 9.8’s they have creases from the sides and it doesn’t look good. I didn’t want to post about it because I just got them back but yes I am not happy they’re done lay flat in there and they don’t present well from the side because of it. What’s weird is you can’t tell from looking at it from the top/front. Only from the side. 

IMG_4679.jpeg

IMG_4678.jpeg

Screen Shot 2024-08-16 at 12.15.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-08-16 at 12.14.47 PM.png

It looks like CGC did $400 damage to the Edge of Spider-verse book alone. It's an optimistic 9.6 now. But, I'm sure they'll just regrade it a 9.8 to save themselves the insurance claim.

On 8/22/2024 at 6:54 PM, MAR1979 said:

it wont make up for you items that were damaged, but why should you or anyone have to pay for said damage? via a dispute/chargeback with you credit card issuer you may be able to get a tiny modicum of satisfaction.

That raises another question.

If you do a credit card dispute/chargeback...would CGC then ban you from being able to use their services?

On 8/22/2024 at 6:54 PM, Stefan_W said:

Does anyone know whether sig authentication books are also coming back with curved inner wells?  

I’ve had one Bronze Age JSA book come back this week, it was fine, no bend. But not a large sample size. In terms of yellow labels in general without JSA, I know I saw some complaining of this issue in the Wolverine 50th signing event, so I don’t think yellow labels are safe. Really shouldn’t matter since the slab and well process should be the same regardless.

On 8/23/2024 at 5:51 AM, Domo Arigato said:

If you do a credit card dispute/chargeback...would CGC then ban you from being able to use their services?

I guess it's possible? I've no idea sure if its legal on those grounds in the US or even a breach of contract  with MasterCard and Visa? 

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/23/2024 at 5:51 AM, Domo Arigato said:

I feel like most businesses would refuse you service at that point. 

On 8/23/2024 at 7:11 AM, Berkfam54 said:

Interesting that I haven't seen an admin post in here. 

There are quite a few posts from them on pages 2-4 discussing the issue, possible resolutions, etc …then a bit later this was said.

On 7/16/2024 at 10:08 AM, CGC Mike said:

Hi

Going forward, please contact our customer service team, and they will assist you with this.

Thanks

Since then I don’t believe much else besides content moderation for some people violating posting rules. I’m guessing someone higher up told Mike and other admins:

IMG_3430.gif.66e4253e7f5e0f3b8bac7cf0bd1b1c56.gif