• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
25 25

1,685 posts in this topic

On 8/26/2024 at 9:57 PM, electricprune said:

This is the first video I’ve seen that shows inner well measurements of new and slightly older slabs. His measurements say they are the same size. He also says the books will lay flat a short while after removal from the inner well.

Do the color breaking ticks magically heal themselves as well ??

Edited by MAY1979

On 8/26/2024 at 7:14 PM, Stefan_W said:

Yes, that is me. Thanks for sharing! 

If the inner well is the same size, did you check the slab dimensions to see if those changed?  I mean, inside where the inner well sits.  How about inner well material type and stiffness?

On 8/26/2024 at 11:40 PM, 0r0d said:

If the inner well is the same size, did you check the slab dimensions to see if those changed?  I mean, inside where the inner well sits.  How about inner well material type and stiffness?

The inner part of the slabs are same dimensions in the two that I measured. I have no way of doing an accurate check of stiffness or checking material types, and I prefer to avoid guessing. 

On 8/17/2024 at 9:38 AM, MAY1979 said:

Perhaps on some of my minor keys I'll consider the premium slab the Newport Beach/Santa Ana folks will offer...?

...sorry, ootl here -- what are you referring to with "Newport Beach/Santa Ana"? That's my backyard. Would like to know if there's comic goings on in the neighborhood. PM I guess, if topic is not allowed?

edit: nvm!

Edited by smarkjobber
did a google

On 8/27/2024 at 9:03 AM, CGC Mike said:

Our statement has changed some from the one that was posted in the video this weekend.

We take any concerns about the quality and integrity of our holders seriously. We are aware of the reports that some inner wells exhibit a curve and while we have not seen any impact to the condition of encapsulated books, please contact customer service with any examples that you may have. We are immediately deploying more QC resources and working to replicate the issue so that we understand how it occurs and how it can be prevented in the future. We will follow up once we have more details.

Please reach out to customer service by calling or texting 855-GRADE10.

Thank you for advising us, CGC Mike. We are all hoping for a fast resolution and I am happy that increased efforts are being made to make it happen!

On 8/26/2024 at 9:14 PM, Stefan_W said:

Yes, that is me. Thanks for sharing! 

That is awesome. You always have been really cool on the forums and your videos do also present you like that. I do need to go back now and look at my last few submissions to see if there are any warped inner wells, what a mess.

On 8/27/2024 at 9:19 AM, captainzombie said:

That is awesome. You always have been really cool on the forums and your videos do also present you like that. I do need to go back now and look at my last few submissions to see if there are any warped inner wells, what a mess.

Thank you, much appreciated :)

Yeah, I also have to go back through my bins and my PC to check out how many books I added that have warped inner wells. For some books (e.g., X-Men 266, etc) I was replacing copies I bought with copies I cracked and resubbed into 9.8s because I loved the idea of building a collection around books I grade bumped. In the end this approach turn out to be .... sub optimal, since I now have to crack them again.  

On 8/27/2024 at 8:28 AM, Stefan_W said:

Thank you, much appreciated :)

Yeah, I also have to go back through my bins and my PC to check out how many books I added that have warped inner wells. For some books (e.g., X-Men 266, etc) I was replacing copies I bought with copies I cracked and resubbed into 9.8s because I loved the idea of building a collection around books I grade bumped. In the end this approach turn out to be .... sub optimal, since I now have to crack them again.  

You're welcome! The crazy part is that I also sold a few of the books already from the last few subs, hoping I do not hear back from my customers. Ugh!

I just sent in another submission yesterday that should arrive to CGC today. Hoping that these books do not get stuck in these kind of inner wells.

On 8/27/2024 at 9:40 AM, Nschenks said:

Not sure more examples are needed at this point, but in the 12-book submission I just got back, all of them exhibited a slight curve described by many other boardies. Luckily no damage to my books (I take detailed photos of the books before sending them to my presser, and I have the post-press pictures as well from my presser--both of which I used to compare), but as a monthly submitter of fairly high-value books, my concern is definitely growing. 

This is a great approach that provides really helpful information. Only showing the "after" pictures is limited since you cant see how a book looked beforehand, and pre-pressing photos are especially useful because ideally (if the resolution is good enough) you can see flaws that the presser fixed prior to submission. 

On 8/27/2024 at 10:17 AM, Stefan_W said:

That was my first thought as well. The fact that they put them in another inner well without pressing and slapping the 9.8 label back on is really doubling down on CGC saying that nothing is going on here. At minimum they all need another press. 

As was stated here by another member - my apologies to them as I cant seem to find the post - having 9.0 and 9.2 books in 9.6 or 9.8 holders is what rendered PGX totally irrelevant.

History is littered with mentions of those previously considered "too big to fail" or "unsinkable" or "undefeatable".   Do we have a potential fresh Oreo coming next year to replace our crumbling Hydrox ?

Edited by MAY1979