• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
23 23

1,648 posts in this topic

On 8/27/2024 at 1:29 PM, ExNihilo said:

I'm way behind on this because I haven't had a submission in two years, but I currently have a book for grading.  Is this occurring with all slabs or just a few?  Has CGC announced they're making changes or is this getting brushed under the rug?  Kinda nervous about my submissions now.

Current methodology on 1975-Current being followed is allegedly; deny, deny, deny / damage, damage, damage / say it's normal, normal, normal.  The middle is the most concerning as it clearly is in effect only to prove the latter which of course is being done to prove the former.

Hope it's not a book with deep personal connection or too rare or valuable for you to replace.  However if is either a Vintage book or 1975-Present and was sent in via a major influencer and submitter like Joey, then in all likelihood it will be just fine.

Edited by MAY1979

On 8/27/2024 at 3:17 PM, Berkfam54 said:

Received an email back. They said I can submit it back to CGC. They want Matt N to look at it. 

In principle great but given legalities and bottom line protection considerations, this may not be a positive thing. Might merely be to affirm statements issued thus far.

Edited by MAY1979

Received an email back. They said I can submit it back to CGC. They want Matt N to look at it. 

NOW he wants to look at one? People have been sending these back to CGC for weeks. WTF.

This is infuriating. In other words, CGC management chose to ignore this issue for months and are now only taking it seriously because a couple big Youtube channels picked it up. 

On 8/27/2024 at 3:42 PM, MadGenius said:

This is infuriating. In other words, CGC management chose to ignore this issue for months and are now only taking it seriously because a couple big Youtube channels picked it up. 

More than a couple. Collectors are still just hearing about this. It’s funny how small and insulated the CGC boards can be sometimes.

On 8/27/2024 at 2:42 PM, MadGenius said:

Wasn't CGC Mike saying to email service like months ago?

On 8/27/2024 at 3:52 PM, Berkfam54 said:

That was during the ignore, ignore, ignore stage,  now we are in deny, deny, deny

On 8/27/2024 at 2:52 PM, Berkfam54 said:

People did email and call CS.  Some got a reholder with no regrade which resulted in the same outcome the second time but maybe marginally better.  Others got the that bend is normal and within tolerance response.  Apparently none warranted Matt’s attention until now.  Congrats to you and thank you YouTube.

These posts may have been purged long ago, but those of us who have been following this thread for a while remember that Mike brought our concerns to management several weeks ago. They were aware THEN. Management chose to do nothing about it other than offer free reholders that did nothing to fix their ongoing encapsulation issues. Meanwhile, an attempt was made to gaslight people who complained about the warped inner well with the old "it's normal / within tolerance" line from customer service. Now the issue is catching fire and CGC is doing what exactly? Pretending they just heard about this and feigning outrage? 

CGC has eroded what little trust people had left after the scandals of 2023.

On 8/27/2024 at 12:01 PM, MAY1979 said:

Current methodology on 1975-Current being followed is allegedly; deny, deny, deny / damage, damage, damage / say it's normal, normal, normal.  The middle is the most concerning as it clearly is in effect only to prove the latter which of course is being done to prove the former.

Hope it's not a book with deep personal connection or too rare or valuable for you to replace.  However if is either a Vintage book or 1975-Present and was sent in via a major influencer and submitter like Joey, then in all likelihood it will be just fine.

I guess I should consider myself lucky that these are blank sketch covers with commissioned work on them and are staying in my personal collection.  Nothing really valued greater than $500 and because they're white covers, probably harder to spot "color breaking" creases if there's no color there to begin with.  Still, I don't understand why this has dragged for months without CGC at least making a modification to the slabbing process.  It's clear this wasn't an issue before and seems to me that some equipment probably just needs to be recalibrated by 1mm or so.  Instead they've let the issue grow to impact more customers and now the solution or number of QC returns is going to be much higher as well.

On 5/15/2024 at 6:27 AM, CGC Mike said:

@LordRahl  CGC identified a batch of inner wells that were warped and removed from production, but it appears that these got through. Please send the affected books back via Mechanical Error and they’ll be taken care of.

On 5/15/2024 at 6:35 PM, CGC Mike said:

I am sorry that this has happened to you, LordRahl and RMA.  I am going to flag @MattM CS to this thread, as I do not know the extent of how many warped holders were used.    I have been working with @LordRahl, and will continue doing so.   Can you assist the others, Matt?

On 6/17/2024 at 6:16 PM, CGC Mike said:

As I mentioned in the PM,  the operations manager who was a senior grader, and 2 other senior graders said they were fine, and would not change with a reholder.  I asked him to have it done anyways.  I have send him another e-mail.

On 7/12/2024 at 5:13 PM, CGC Mike said:

I have sent our Operations Manager multiple scans of different books and different submissions, and at least 1 book should be sitting on his desk Monday, which is when he told me he will be reviewing everything.  So, I do not want to say anything until then.    

On 7/12/2024 at 5:26 PM, CGC Mike said:

I will say that after talking to our Operations Manager the other day regarding this problem, he went to the encapsulation area where there were a lot of slabbed books, and could not find 1 book with a warped holder.  

On 8/27/2024 at 1:05 PM, MadGenius said:

These posts may have been purged long ago, but those of us who have been following this thread for a while remember that Mike brought our concerns to management several weeks ago. They were aware THEN. Management chose to do nothing about it other than offer free reholders that did nothing to fix their ongoing encapsulation issues. Meanwhile, an attempt was made to gaslight people who complained about the warped inner well with the old "it's normal / within tolerance" line from customer service. Now the issue is catching fire and CGC is doing what exactly? Pretending they just heard about this and feigning outrage? 

CGC has eroded what little trust people had left after the scandals of 2023.

They’ve not been purged, just have to go to the first few pages… I’ve put some of the replies above for those who are joining late. But you can clearly see Mike said to multiple people this was being brought to management and they were aware of “a batch of warped inner wells” going back to at least mid-May when this thread was started.

On 8/27/2024 at 3:27 PM, wiparker824 said:

They’ve not been purged, just have to go to the first few pages… I’ve put some of the replies above for those who are joining late. But you can clearly see Mike said to multiple people this was being brought to management and they were aware of “a batch of warped inner wells” going back to at least mid-May when this thread was started.

When I submitted my ME, “Ops manager Dale” was suppose to look over mine.  That was the one referenced that they would have on his desk that Monday back around mid July.

I just had 34 of 50 come back with some form of damage due to the inner well bending. And that's not to say the other 16 were not warped, just less. Here are a few pictures of the award winners. To be fair some of the tics were there already but pressed out until they were banana'd in the inner well to bring them back. Some were brand-new comics with a spine tick and some wavyness on the top from being scrunched. Its really hard to get a photo at the right angle and not have the light in the same spot. I have a feeling they will address this publicly soon.

IMG_8127.JPG

IMG_8123.JPG

IMG_8122.JPG

IMG_8116.JPG

IMG_8115.JPG

IMG_8112.JPG

IMG_8107.JPG

IMG_8104.JPG

IMG_8098.JPG

IMG_8082.JPG

IMG_8076.JPG

IMG_8074.JPG

IMG_8072.JPG

Probably just redundant at this point, but here's a couple more photos of the more "minor" bends/ticks on books I sent in for 9.8 prescreen and I know were flawless at that point.  I'm pretty sure these can be pressed out and the book will look ok, but it's just annoying that this can happen and CGC will say it's "normal".  Keeping the books flat in the slab is like the bare minimum job of the slab.  This is not technology we havent figured out.

PXL_20240827_204706903.jpg

PXL_20240827_204858824.jpg

On 8/27/2024 at 4:55 PM, Calm-Mix said:

I just had 34 of 50 come back with some form of damage due to the inner well bending. And that's not to say the other 16 were not warped, just less. Here are a few pictures of the award winners. To be fair some of the tics were there already but pressed out until they were banana'd in the inner well to bring them back. Some were brand-new comics with a spine tick and some wavyness on the top from being scrunched. Its really hard to get a photo at the right angle and not have the light in the same spot. I have a feeling they will address this publicly soon.

IMG_8074.JPG

This one suggests that the "bowing" is more parabolic than other pics shown thus far in this thread.

image.png.34ad8263333ac96fc41313c35c70b13c.png

-bc

On 8/27/2024 at 3:55 PM, Calm-Mix said:

IMG_8127.JPG

IMG_8123.JPG

IMG_8122.JPG

IMG_8116.JPG

IMG_8115.JPG

IMG_8112.JPG

IMG_8107.JPG

IMG_8104.JPG

IMG_8098.JPG

IMG_8082.JPG

IMG_8076.JPG

IMG_8074.JPG

IMG_8072.JPG

Oh my goodness I’m so sorry. Im in the process of getting my information from beginning to current to make a video on it. I did a livestream but I feel a video is warranted to discuss just my books but I will most likely mention this as well. That’s insane man and I’m so sorry.