• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it rude to haggle on price with back issues at local comic shops?
2 2

36 posts in this topic

On 7/13/2024 at 11:10 AM, Blastaar said:

One offs I tend to pay sticker, but anytime I grab a stack, I tend to go into negotiation mode. Is this a rude practice or par for the course? Is it expected? What say you?

At shows I definitely haggle, and as a seller at shows, I welcome hagglers - my ultimate goal is to sell stuff, so as long as we can reach an agreement I'm happy to move books. I think it's ok to do the same at a shop, keeping in mind that some dealers/owners may take offense (so tread lightly and politely).

Last time made a purchase at the LCS I paid full price but did so because I had haggled them the previous half dozen purchases.

I usually ask, What's the best you'd do? Or, I'll say that I could do this amount.

My shop is great. I also know they're probably paying 30% of a book's worth when they buy something for the shelves or long boxes. They have room to wiggle.

Cash on hand makes a big difference too.

On 7/13/2024 at 12:17 PM, grendelbo said:

Cash on hand makes a big difference too.

Agreed. I won't even attempt to haggle unless I'm paying cash. My LCS, since the owner knows I buy stacks with cash, automatically starts discounting. The bigger the stack, the deeper the discount. Cash is king.

On 7/13/2024 at 11:10 AM, grendel013 said:

Agreed. I won't even attempt to haggle unless I'm paying cash. My LCS, since the owner knows I buy stacks with cash, automatically starts discounting. The bigger the stack, the deeper the discount. Cash is king.

I will also avoid paying tax if I use cash. :whistle:

Nothing wrong with asking if you’re polite about it IMO.  If you approach with the expectation of a discount I’d say you should adjust your expectations. 

On 7/13/2024 at 1:26 PM, grendelbo said:

I will also avoid paying tax if I use cash. :whistle:

That's a bit suspect. If the items are taxable, tax is charged regardless of the form of payment.

Sounds to me like the LCS is taking the transaction "under the table", so no sales tax, no income tax either. 

I think it is polite to ask before you pull dozens of books from the boxes whether the seller will haggle rather than expecting it at the time to pay.

On 7/13/2024 at 11:10 AM, Blastaar said:

One offs I tend to pay sticker, but anytime I grab a stack, I tend to go into negotiation mode. Is this a rude practice or par for the course? Is it expected? What say you?

This is exactly my philosophy.

But don't be an A-hole and ask for 80% off.  If you ask 10-15% you'll have a pretty good success rate.

On 7/13/2024 at 1:11 PM, Lightning55 said:

That's a bit suspect. If the items are taxable, tax is charged regardless of the form of payment.

Sounds to me like the LCS is taking the transaction "under the table", so no sales tax, no income tax either. 

Likely. Last book I bought was $375 that I haggled down to $300 straight up. Cash saved me $27 in taxes. :whistle:

On 7/13/2024 at 12:17 PM, grendelbo said:

I also know they're probably paying 30% of a book's worth when they buy something for the shelves or long boxes.

Plus wages, rent, utilities, signage, advertising, book-keeping, telephone, store fixtures, bags & boards, and taxes on anything left over.

i also love a good deal, but there’s a reason comic shops are closing.

On 7/13/2024 at 3:28 PM, Artboy99 said:

I think it is polite to ask before you pull dozens of books from the boxes whether the seller will haggle rather than expecting it at the time to pay.

I would agree, although it's not an absolute for me, as I will put the books back in the right place if we can't make a deal. Hard for me to know in advance whether I even need to ask for a discount (if the book is in my price range, I'd probably not ask).

On 7/13/2024 at 12:10 PM, Blastaar said:

I always do it, but I am willing to accept a time frame for other customers to see it. GOD BLESS...

jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 7/13/2024 at 3:44 PM, ttfitz said:

I would agree, although it's not an absolute for me, as I will put the books back in the right place if we can't make a deal. Hard for me to know in advance whether I even need to ask for a discount (if the book is in my price range, I'd probably not ask).

This is me, I'll try to not be long winded as well...

Every store I pick up stuff almost always in willing to pay sticker price, but get offered discounts or if I'm like $5 to $10 short, or I was trading in, or something in some stores I'd make an offer just to see if they're willing to negotiate otherwise it starts a conversation of what I'm looking for, can afford, or the otherwise goals of the day.

Same as at a con, in short I don't haggle unless it is already in the ballpark and depending on my wallet that day.

That said one LCS always prices at counter but usually takes a little off without asking, "it goes for .... I'd let it go for ...." Which takes the sting off pricing at the counter.

Another in short?

Some days I'm bin diving and some days I'm making a collection, just depends on circumstances, wallet and or selection available lol especially if I'm so close in something but it'll take all I got haha.

Thats after near ten years with some LCS 

On 7/13/2024 at 4:09 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

This is me, I'll try to not be long winded as well...

Every store I pick up stuff almost always in willing to pay sticker price, but get offered discounts or if I'm like $5 to $10 short, or I was trading in, or something in some stores I'd make an offer just to see if they're willing to negotiate otherwise it starts a conversation of what I'm looking for, can afford, or the otherwise goals of the day.

Same as at a con, in short I don't haggle unless it is already in the ballpark and depending on my wallet that day.

That said one LCS always prices at counter but usually takes a little off without asking, "it goes for .... I'd let it go for ...." Which takes the sting off pricing at the counter.

Another in short?

Some days I'm bin diving and some days I'm making a collection, just depends on circumstances, wallet and or selection available lol especially if I'm so close in something but it'll take all I got haha.

Thats after near ten years with some LCS 

Just not an automatic haggle is what I mean