• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PSA To Grade Comics In 2025
8 8

219 posts in this topic

PSA as cards go since 2021 ruthlessly maintains their census medians. Reserving highest grades per era for their largest submitting clients.

Of course that can't be done until they have a baseline. This means those who use need to get their subs in early and that greggy if he uses them, will eventually make out like a bandit ...

On 7/19/2024 at 1:06 PM, miraclemet said:

PSA is just the CGC of cards, so I dont see any real differentiator unless they can use their existing infrastructure/process/efficiency to drasticly reduce turnaround times vs CGC. 

Now if it had been BGCS, and their sub-grades listed on the label, that would have been interesting, cause I think that hits CGC right where customers complain (ie grader notes complaints and/or lack of understanding of what contributes to the books grade)

Based on the interview in the link provided in the OP, my guess is the differentiator is mixed in somehow with their proposed uses of AI and machine learning. The issue I see is they will have to come up with something that resonates strongly with collectors for a given hook to work, and the usage they use as an example (identifying counterfeits), while important, is not likely to do that. It would have to be something much flashier, like developing some type of mechanized grading or partial grading that assists a human grader, for this to really catch on. The bulk of current collectors with dozens, hundreds, or more CGC slabs are not likely to jump ship easily. 

They had a well-documented track record of authenticating trimmed cards a few years back.  I'm not a sports card person so I don't know if that has continued or if they've cleaned up their act.  Bad combo if the allusions made about the head grader are true.

On 7/19/2024 at 3:44 PM, royaluglydudes said:

They had a well-documented track record of authenticating trimmed cards a few years back.  I'm not a sports card person so I don't know if that has continued or if they've cleaned up their act.  Bad combo if the allusions made about the head grader are true.

The first card they graded, the so called McNeil/Gretzky T206 Wagner later on in open court evidence was submiited and convicted felon Bill Maestro admitted to trimming. This was  decade ago yet PSA still has no alteration note and the now tainted grade of 8 remains on their public DB.

As is often noted on net54 regarding the Newport CA based firm. "The fish stinks from the head down"

But yes additional competition is good for customers and often spurs innovation. 

Edited by MAR1979

On 7/19/2024 at 4:01 PM, MAR1979 said:

The first card they graded, the so called McNeil/Gretzky T206 Wagner later on in open court evidence was submiited and convicted felon Bill Maestro admitted to trimming. This was  decade ago yet PSA still has no alteration note and the now tainted grade of 8 remains on their public DB.

As is often noted on net54 regarding the Newport CA based firm. "The fish stinks from the head down"

But yes additional competition is good for customers and often spurs innovation. 

I don't own any sports cards but  with that issue why is PSA more trusted than BSG?  

On 7/19/2024 at 12:56 PM, grendelbo said:
On 7/19/2024 at 12:52 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

need to send two ps1 games

hm

Now that it has been my bday, I'll send them in, coming soon! 🤠 

On 7/19/2024 at 2:45 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

I am sure he will eventually.  I mean whats one more company for him to bounce around to lol

Reminds me of the line in Willie, Mickey and The Duke; "and Bobby Bonds can play for anyone"

Edited by MAR1979

Their card holders are completely sealed, making it almost impossible to switch out cards

In house autograph authentication and a slew of others benefits, it'll be interesting to see what gets applied to their comic division. 

On 7/19/2024 at 11:52 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

What about video games? Idk what to look for in sales, but need to send two ps1 games, are cgc comparable?

The Wata case is far better that the CGC case but if you are not gonna keep for personal collection CGC is great to sell videogames and they sell very well . I have 3 games grading now with CGC. Btw Wata belongs to PSA now