• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Book is a 9.8?!
5 5

30 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2024 at 9:49 PM, Iconic1s said:

It’s a 9.8 cause CGC said so!!

They also said you don’t need 100% P/D to get best set “presentation” in 2024 so shut up!  Their sliding scale / standard is ALL that matters!

Looks like a recently slabbed book, so this is what likely happened to it:

On 7/26/2024 at 9:07 PM, Brandon Shepherd said:

Really?

Is this a book in a perfectly sealed slab that you have held in your hands and examined close up, or an image captured from the net? 

On 7/27/2024 at 1:46 AM, Kirby_Fan said:

Is this a book in a perfectly sealed slab that you have held in your hands and examined close up, or an image captured from the net? 

I have not seen the book in person, just the scans from both CGC and the mycomicshop.com/eBay listing.

On 7/27/2024 at 2:11 AM, Iconic1s said:

I think the damage to this book is well beyond that warped inner well issue.  This book is horrendous!  

Yeah, in no universe does a small bow in the inner well cause this. But let people banging that particular drum have their fun. 

When you look up the cert number the breaks and ticks on the spine are already there. This means the book was either like this prior to grading and given a 9.8 as it is, or else the book may have been damaged during handling after grading but prior to the image on the cert page being taken. The OP for this thread is not the owner of the book so we wont know whether the damage was there prior to grading unless the actual owner offers that information (and we trust their answer, but that is an aside). 

I haven't submitted a single book since 6/9/23.  My renewal expired on 4/23/24. I thought about sending my books for $30 Vintage Grading but I saw this.  Decided not to send my books.

Still hesitant to send my books ever since QC problems, CGC swapping and encapsulation tampering

On 7/27/2024 at 8:07 AM, Stefan_W said:

Yeah, in no universe does a small bow in the inner well cause this. But let people banging that particular drum have their fun. 

When you look up the cert number the breaks and ticks on the spine are already there. This means the book was either like this prior to grading and given a 9.8 as it is, or else the book may have been damaged during handling after grading but prior to the image on the cert page being taken. The OP for this thread is not the owner of the book so we wont know whether the damage was there prior to grading unless the actual owner offers that information (and we trust their answer, but that is an aside). 

I assure you those “ banging that drum” are not having fun because they have severely damaged books from a defective product.  Some are just trying to make people aware of the problem to save them from a similar frustration.  But keep submitting books while it’s unresolved, and you’ll be banging that drum too or just be one of those people that has no problem selling a bad 9.8 to someone else.  Then we can keep seeing more threads like this.

On 7/27/2024 at 5:20 PM, DanJD said:

I assure you those “ banging that drum” are not having fun because they have severely damaged books from a defective product.  Some are just trying to make people aware of the problem to save them from a similar frustration.  But keep submitting books while it’s unresolved, and you’ll be banging that drum too or just be one of those people that has no problem selling a bad 9.8 to someone else.  Then we can keep seeing more threads like this.

I have no doubt that some people have a damaged product and the cause needs to be addressed, and I am sorry to hear that your book was damaged and you have the right to be frustrated. I do have doubts that a small bow in the inner well causes that type of damage. The reason I saw this is because I have bought many collections where the comic boxes are not completely full and there is a small bow in the bag and board, and I don't see it causing the extent of damage you are showing unless the bow is larger than what the CGC case allows. I don't know everything, but this makes me have my doubts.

The distinction, and I want to be perfectly clear about this, is if people are outraged and saying a bow in their well caused the damage then other who see the smallest curve in the well will panic and start to think that their book is being chewed up from the inside out. Also, I have already seen people warning against buying books with a small bow in the inner well, which means undamaged books may be returned, etc. 

The too long, didn't read is that it is always a good idea to be cautious with attributions. The list of bad things that happen if people think a bow is causing damage when the source is elsewhere is quite long. 

On 7/27/2024 at 5:35 PM, DanJD said:

Similar book for sale right below this threads listing on EBay when you search that issue. Both sold by MCS.

IMG_1599.png

IMG_1600.png

That is odd. One is a third print direct and the other a first print newsstand but neither is close to a 9.8. Even if MCS was the original submitter, they weren't from the same submission.

On 7/27/2024 at 5:58 PM, Stefan_W said:

I have no doubt that some people have a damaged product and the cause needs to be addressed, and I am sorry to hear that your book was damaged and you have the right to be frustrated. I do have doubts that a small bow in the inner well causes that type of damage. The reason I saw this is because I have bought many collections where the comic boxes are not completely full and there is a small bow in the bag and board, and I don't see it causing the extent of damage you are showing unless the bow is larger than what the CGC case allows. I don't know everything, but this makes me have my doubts.

The distinction, and I want to be perfectly clear about this, is if people are outraged and saying a bow in their well caused the damage then other who see the smallest curve in the well will panic and start to think that their book is being chewed up from the inside out. Also, I have already seen people warning against buying books with a small bow in the inner well, which means undamaged books may be returned, etc. 

The too long, didn't read is that it is always a good idea to be cautious with attributions. The list of bad things that happen if people think a bow is causing damage when the source is elsewhere is quite long. 

A bow in the inner well will absolutely cause spine stress. The source of the bowing is excess pressure exerted on the top and bottom of the inner well. This can be replicated at home. Take a book in a bag and board and apply pressure at both ends. The book will bow and spine ticks will form.

On 7/27/2024 at 4:58 PM, Stefan_W said:

Concerns as sellers about returns because of a very real flaw should be frustration towards CGC not the buyer that does not want to buy a defected book.  Small bow is a subjective comment.  I would not describe these warped inner wells as having small bows to them.  Any level of bow created by the encapsulation is unacceptable.  Saying someone should buy a warped book is no better than saying buy this 9.8 that was posted by the OP.