• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #608 for over $500!
3 3

454 posts in this topic

I like how there was one guy (dam60) saying this will be a good book and everyone else being dismissive. It would be cool for him to comment on it, but I don't know if he is on here still?

Um excuse me. Not dam60. Me.

Flying donut was a believer of this book from the beginning based on this thread which started in 2003. During this period the book has survived a major united states recession, part of Bush's presidency, Ben Afleck as Batman(barf) and prices are well beyond $500 . 13 years going strong. How many more years before modern haters will give it its due? Another 10 years ? Once it hits 25? I'd love to know to everyone's thoughts. (shrug)

The only thing the history of this thread shows is the ingrained and institutional disdain that a cluster of boardies (unfortunately) have for modern variants, when if anything, this book was a harbinger for things to come in the Modern market.

Which is why I said I think a case could be made for it being the pivot point into the Modern Age as we know it today (but a strong case could be made for Walking Dead #1 as well).

-J.

Why not include both? The books were what a year apart?

Jerome

I like how there was one guy (dam60) saying this will be a good book and everyone else being dismissive. It would be cool for him to comment on it, but I don't know if he is on here still?

Flying donut was a believer of this book from the beginning based on this thread which started in 2003. During this period the book has survived a major united states recession, part of Bush's presidency, Ben Afleck as Batman(barf) and prices are well beyond $500 . 13 years going strong. How many more years before modern haters will give it its due? Another 10 years ? Once it hits 25? I'd love to know to everyone's thoughts. (shrug)

The only thing the history of this thread shows is the ingrained and institutional disdain that a cluster of boardies (unfortunately) have for modern variants, when if anything, this book was a harbinger for things to come in the Modern market.

Which is why I said I think a case could be made for it being the pivot point into the Modern Age as we know it today (but a strong case could be made for Walking Dead #1 as well).

-J.

Why not include both? The books were what a year apart?

Jerome

"There can only be one."

lol

-J.

-J.

No, you said that because you are clueless and irrational.

-J.

No, you said that because you are clueless and irrational.

Hi RMA. :hi:

Working on getting strikes on this account too now, I see.

-J.

Anyone who invests in this type of "manufactured collectible" does not understand the underlying economic principles behind comic collecting.

Low print runs harm an off-the-shelf comic's value in the long-term, as a Modern collector's memory is extremely short-term, the books was never for sale off the shelf, attrition is nil, and virtually no one will even remember it in 5-10 years. Just remember, rarity in itself does not translate into higher values.

The best equation is huge print runs + extreme attrition, which is why older comics are raking in the big bucks. It's not because they're rare, but because potentially millions of kids bought, read and tossed that Golden Age issue, thus creating a lucrative resale market for the few remaining copies.

The "limited" comics are a dealer premium and are intended to fleece the unwary and inexperienced collector out of their hard-earned cash. Always have been, always will be.

This made me laugh. I remember when they took the jump to $500ish. I purchased my house in 2003, so comics were secondary in my life at the time.

Edited by cujobyte

:)

Looking back over the years it seems like it was the most vocal boardies who have ultimately ended up being on the wrong side of all these arguments, incl this one.

Having said that it can't be healthy that the three 9.8 copies that sold in 2014 & 2015 went for $1,625, $1,469 & $1,595 and now it's jumped to $4,050 in the space of a year.

When I sold my 9.8 in 2011 (or 2012) it was like pulling teeth before I finally got the $2,500 odd i was looking for. I also remember a huge amount of shilling taking place in the 9.6 auctions for this book at that time before they would sell.

3-4 years can be an eternity in nearly any market. Especially when only three copies of a book come up for sale in grade during that time. Once copies dry up into permanent collections it doesn't take very much new demand to trigger price spikes. Though the book was selling for as high as $3k back in 2004, so even at $5k the extent of appreciation over the last decade looks far less dramatic , if not rather moderate over the long run for a rarely offered, low print run Batman variant that's going on 15 years old.

-J.

You're only looking at three sales in three years that were all at or near GPA lows, where I am looking at the movement of the book over a 10+ year period, which gives us a much better picture of how the book got from Point A to Point B. In that context , no, going from a $3k book to even a $5k book over the span of 12 years is not particularly dramatic (even less so considering the plethora of other books, variant and non-variant alike that have doubled in value in a week and tripled in less than a year at the mere hint of a movie or TV rumour).

That, and there was also a green label 9.8 of this book that sold for $3k over a year ago (Oct. 2015) that I think you might be overlooking on GPA. ;) As I said, with a book with such a constrained supply as this one, it doesn't take much additional demand to create price movements.

-J

That, and there was also a green label 9.8 of this book that sold for $3k over a year ago (Oct. 2015) that I think you might be overlooking on GPA. ;) As I said, with a book with such a constrained supply as this one, it doesn't take much additional demand to create price movements.

It's not so much demand itself but how deep the pockets are of those trying to acquire the book at a given moment in time. Really, you just need at least two people willing to spend ungodly amounts to make the price skyrocket. Doesn't necessarily mean subsequent buyers will be willing (or even able) to pay the same.

J you can't describe it as having organic (even modest) price growth from $3k in 2004 to $4k in 2016, when it's also gone from $1.5k in 2015 to $4k in 2016.

I do not believe it was a 3k book in 2004 though, was it? I was thinking $500 in 03', and maybe $700-1000 in 04' from what I recall.