• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your Collecting 'Philosophy'...
3 3

64 posts in this topic

Well... I'm to get DC. I mean the whole stuff... yes I m not joking.

Have unrealistic goals is a much better thing for me, I know that I will never reach them but at least when I ll die I will have made my best.

LITTLE EDIT: I'm not collecting stuff post 2011, new 52 and all the new sh*t is without me... and maybe limit it to the super heroes titles too, I'm not saying that funny animals aren't cool but... No let be honest, THIS IS SH*T.

Edited by Coverdeath

@Kirby_Fan

I have 4 parts to my collecting philosophy:

Nothing exceeds like excess.

Anything worth doing is worth over-doing.

Less is not more. 

He who dies with the most toys wins. 

I agree with the first 3 but this for number 4...

He who dies lives with the most toys wins. 

Edited by Jaylam

I guess a few words. Words of advice I often forget.
1. Make sure you don't buy too much to stop the wheels turning so you can continue KEEP buying and selling.
2. If possible sell the stuff you can replace the easiest first.
3. Smaller $$ books take up a lot of time and effort. Remember when buying in bulk, time is money and smaller less popular books get discounted much more. When investing try to sell smaller $$ books to buy bigger $$$ books.
4. If the book goes up rapidly, quite often there will be a correction. Sell during the mania rather than hold for the bragging rights.
5. Rarely buy from auction houses, unless its something you must have. Sell from auction houses instead.
6. Learn how to grade extremely well, even in this forum bad grading is quite common.
7. Quite often the grade given is wrong, look at the scan carefully. That sometimes includes CGC:o
7a. Modern book grading is especially more often wrong with BOTH under and overgrading.
8. Mycomicshop.com also has CGC census totals and can often be a faster tool than GPA or CGC.
9. White pages doesn't always mean a white back cover.

Edited by Rip

On 8/5/2024 at 11:41 AM, Westy Steve said:

I used to collect one type of "thing" until I burned out on it, and then move onto another...often because my interest would get "sparked" by a deal I found, or a show I attended, etc.

Yep, that's me. Attempting to temper how easily I swing from thing to thing as I get older!

On 8/4/2024 at 11:00 PM, Nazirite said:

Buy what you can afford. Which conflicts with my other philosophy: either you own it or don’t. Which is why I find myself making payments on a copy of  AC 23 right now lol. 

Lastly, never tell the wife :ph34r:

You should see the payments people make on Wife #1 ... AC #23 can't compare.  Be careful out there, people.

On 8/10/2024 at 2:13 PM, BEAUMONTS said:

You can never have enough of what you don't really need.   Translation, buy what you enjoy.

Although I'm of the opinion that bushels of wheat would be in demand as collectibles if some grading service labeled them 9.8 

Edited by Kirby_Fan

I grew up in the 90s.  X-men vol 2 and the animated series was my jam.  I am almost done collecting the x-men 90’s run with most story arc crossovers either in individual issues or grabbed a few omnibus books for bigger stories like Age of Apocalypse to fill in gaps.  My graded books I am focusing on the more important issues and first appearances.  I was not alive during the 60s and 70s, but the origin issues and stories of my favorite x-men and other marvel characters like Avengers, Punisher and Daredevil are my current focus.

On 8/11/2024 at 8:16 AM, Jaylam said:
On 8/10/2024 at 9:16 PM, ganni said:

klutzorigin1.jpg.59843b8b056cb704f07e4b8089f38b53.jpg

Expand  

Nothing has paid off like the investments I made when I was 8-9 years old!

Unless this happened! :whatthe:IMG_3946.jpeg.8c862b083b1114c3406a7528d32faf24.jpeg

On 8/11/2024 at 7:34 AM, Jayman said:

Unless this happened! :whatthe:IMG_3946.jpeg.8c862b083b1114c3406a7528d32faf24.jpeg

My mom literally did that to one of my EC horror books my uncle gave me. But I was crafty. I hid the rest as well as my MAD magazines she thought were “subversive” and Playboys up in our treehouse in a wooden box.

The treehouse was my sanctuary. When I got older it was also a convenient place to smoke weed…