• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holy comic book theft, Batman: Thief arrested for stealing collector comic books (Hero Restorations Arrested)
1 1

20 posts in this topic

https://www.kval.com/news/local/holy-comic-book-theft-batman-thief-arrested-for-stealing-collector-comic-books

This guy that ComicTom has been promoting for a while turns out to be a standard con-man. Influencers promoted this guy but he was just stealing the books or selling them for himself. It's pretty gross. This is what happens when someone is willing to promote a strangers business with no due-diligence.

Good luck out there!

On 8/16/2024 at 5:35 PM, Sam T said:

https://www.kval.com/news/local/holy-comic-book-theft-batman-thief-arrested-for-stealing-collector-comic-books

This guy that ComicTom has been promoting for a while turns out to be a standard con-man. Influencers promoted this guy but he was just stealing the books or selling them for himself. It's pretty gross. This is what happens when someone is willing to promote a strangers business with no due-diligence.

Good luck out there!

Yet another old white guy stealing comics. Probably graduated from shoplifting them at conventions

On 8/16/2024 at 5:49 PM, Telegan said:

There's (currently) a 77-page thread about it here.

That thread is a year old and it's 76 pages of trolls posting memes without any discussion, research or analysis. This post is about an actual event that just happened this week. People shouldn't have to sift through 500 trash posts in order to discuss a major event in the comics community.

On 8/16/2024 at 6:03 PM, Sam T said:

That thread is a year old and it's 76 pages of trolls posting memes without any discussion, research or analysis. 

:eyeroll: Um, no. 

Are you one of Mike's "friends or associates"? Or maybe you're ComicTom?

Good luck out there!

ComicTom needs to get severely dragged for promoting this POS.

On 8/16/2024 at 5:03 PM, Sam T said:

That thread is a year old and it's 76 pages of trolls posting memes without any discussion, research or analysis. This post is about an actual event that just happened this week. People shouldn't have to sift through 500 trash posts in order to discuss a major event in the comics community.

FYI : If you start at the end of the thread where the most recent information would be, you would have to go back 2 pages to page 75 to find the news from a day or so ago.

"Look at me! Look at me! Look at MEEEEEEE!"

On 8/16/2024 at 5:03 PM, Sam T said:

Not only a previous 77 page thread but also an epic 49 page locked thread from even earlier!

I mean the entire community coalescing around a single point, finding and reporting books Mike was selling on Ebay, a dodgy lawyer and their friend inviting you to secret zoom calls, someone creating a website specifically to report stolen books, MCS pulling books from their website... are all just trash, without discussion, and absolutely no research or analysis conducted.

But those are old nasty smelly threads full of Boomers and trolls, my Mom said meme's are the devil so I for one support your new Friday thread!

This guy that ComicTom has been promoting for a while turns out to be a standard con-man 

Actually, Tom hasn't been promoting him for quite awhile.

And he was promoting him back when he was a credible restoration service.

But yeah....back to the original thread.

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 8/16/2024 at 8:30 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Actually, Tom hasn't been promoting him for quite awhile.

And he was promoting him back when he was a credible restoration service.

But yeah....back to the original thread.

Yup.

In the original, better, thread I questioned why Comic Tom did not take the videos down that were promoting him. I totally get how he was promoting what seemed like a legit and positive business at the time, but given all that has happened since then a tiny amount of "read the room" would at least introduce the question of whether to take those vids down. 

I bet you are a blast at parties. 

On 8/16/2024 at 8:32 PM, Stefan_W said:

I totally get how he was promoting what seemed like a legit and positive business at the time

ComicTom is a serious problem for the community. But this is the problem. It wasn't a legit business and it doesn't make sense that Tom was promoting it.

If ComicTom had done his due diligence he would have found complaints about Hero Restoration long before he started promoting him. The business model of the youtube shill simply doesn't involve any level of research or personal responsibility. If at the first sign of complaints, Tom and Gem Mint and all the other shills immediately apologized to the community for their role in a scam then we could believe it was a good faith mistake. But these guys were still promoting Hero Restoration loooooooong after the complaints started stacking up.

Promoting a business without due diligence is morally and intellectually indefensible. Just because we see a lotta YouTubers do it, doesn't mean it actually makes sense.

This is not true 

On 8/16/2024 at 6:08 PM, Axelrod said:

?

There is a  very real possibility that thread is the reason why this guy has finally been arrested after all this time.  It's full of people talking about (and discovering) the problem, and trying to come up with solutions, including contacting the authorities.  

I have no idea where you get "trolls" and "trash" postings.  Maybe some who didn't think the guy was a thief (at first)?  

Exactly

On 8/16/2024 at 8:13 PM, DougC said:

Not only a previous 77 page thread but also an epic 49 page locked thread from even earlier!

I mean the entire community coalescing around a single point, finding and reporting books Mike was selling on Ebay, a dodgy lawyer and their friend inviting you to secret zoom calls, someone creating a website specifically to report stolen books, MCS pulling books from their website... are all just trash, without discussion, and absolutely no research or analysis conducted.

But those are old nasty smelly threads full of Boomers and trolls, my Mom said meme's are the devil so I for one support your new Friday thread!

Nice. Only this is not true. “a dodgy lawyer and their friend inviting you to secret zoom calls,” Cantina201 was the group that started the new thread. They deserve credit for keeping this alive. CT101 is an issue though. IMO