• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my collection is currently under a "heat dome" in Los Angeles. Will this effect (affect?) resale value?

27 posts in this topic

The temperature is approaching 110 degrees and I fear my collection will melt.

At what temperature do CGC holders begin to liquify? At what temperature does 4-color newsprint catch fire?

These are serious questions and serious concerns.

My wife is being fussy. The AC can't keep up.

Edited by NoMan

On 9/6/2024 at 9:27 PM, NoMan said:

it's hot here. can't be good for the comics. comic boxes/mylar off-gassing...

I'm sure short term all is well. While it hot as balls, at least the comics are inside...

On 9/6/2024 at 5:30 PM, NoMan said:

At what temperature do CGC holders begin to liquify? At what temperature does 4-color newsprint catch fire?

It was 115 + here for a few days, well more like 2 weeks, in Vegas.  A/C had a hard time keeping up, but, slabs survived just fine.

On 9/6/2024 at 9:26 PM, aszumilo said:
On 9/6/2024 at 7:30 PM, NoMan said:

It was 115 + here for a few days, well more like 2 weeks, in Vegas.  A/C had a hard time keeping up, but, slabs survived just fine.

The Lord provided for us in a big way by replacing our hvac, but it had gone out due to storms, prayers in Jesus name that the insurance company honors us. 🕊 ✌ 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Hey NoMan...take it from s-man...you'll be fine man (thumbsu

By and by it was 110 degrees with the heat dome here in Dallas when our old HVAC went out this past summer. I should have mentioned it, was on mind paying for a new one more though, understandably I hope.

But we were without air conditioning for a good week and a half and totally without power for 3 days besides that, and no plastic melted. @NoMan 

My real concern was the humidity somehow still changing  the paper quality within the slab?

I didn't crack any out of the slab to check.

Does anyone know if that is ok?

On 9/7/2024 at 1:00 AM, s-man said:

Hey NoMan...take it from s-man...you'll be fine man (thumbsu

On 9/6/2024 at 10:10 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

The Lord provided for us in a big way by replacing our hvac, but it had gone out due to storms, prayers in Jesus name that the insurance company honors us. 🕊 ✌ 

On 9/6/2024 at 5:30 PM, NoMan said:

As someone who lives in Arizona, where 110 is just called a normal summer day for us and not a “heat dome” lol I can assure you your CGC holders will not melt inside your home, even if your AC is struggling. 

Also if your AC is really struggling you should be more worried about other things. Specifically things like medications, and food. Most perishable things people store at “room temperature” like food and medicine aren’t meant for rooms that get above 77-78 degrees. 

Yeah, unusually hot here even at the beach. But I have no worries about my stuff. Cool, dark closet.

I have more worries about my friend who lives in Highland. BAD fire close to her house. Fortunately, wind has shifted away from her house. But extreme heat, smoke and ash not to mention her power was out for a while.

It could be worse…

I've had a CGC case melt just by rubbing it really fast. Granted, I was pretty excited because it was my first Zenescope graded book, but still. If your house is above 82 degrees, beware!

I am the god of hellfire! And I bring you

Fire, I'll take you to burn
Fire, I'll take you to learn
I'll see you burn

You fought hard and you saved and earned
But all of it's going to burn

And your mind, your tiny mind
You know you've really been so blind
Now's your time, burn your mind
You’ve fallen far, too far behind
Oh no, oh no, oh no!
You're gonna burn!

Fire, to destroy all you've done
Fire, to end all you've become
I'll feel you burn

You've been living like a little girl
In the middle of your little world
And your mind, your tiny mind
You know you've really been so blind
Now's your time, burn your mind
You’ve fallen far, too far behind
Ooh

You're gonna burn, you're gonna burn
You're gonna burn, burn, burn, burn
Burn, burn, burn, burn
Burn, burn, burn

Fire, I'll take you to bed
Fire, I'll take you, fire…

-  As performed by The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

Edited by namisgr

Affect happens to something. Effect happens because of something.

So, basically, the effect of the heat on your comics will, in all likelihood, only affect the resale value if the effect is not ameliorated with a modicum of coolness. Are your books cool enough to survive? This depends more upon your personality defects than the heat effects. Character flaws, weaknesses and bad art will adversely affect the coolness factor of your collectibles. The affect of this can be, effectively, cumulative.

Hope this helps.

the heat dome continues and the harm to my collection (and vocabulary) grows.

Idea: Since we're all a community here we ought to have some sort of system whereas if it gets too hot in a board member's location, they mail their collection for safe keeping to another member who resides in a cooler location, say 67-72 degrees Fahrenheit and when the weather drops in first member's location, the books are mailed back. (Those who live in areas that use Celsius are not eligible, on principle alone.)