• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
38 38

12,770 posts in this topic

Had a nice acquisition this weekend. Full Splash from MTU 58, chocked full of bronze-y goodness. Its by Sal Buscema and Pablo Marcos. Great Sal look to the faces, man knows how to draw expressions. Condition was also on point, lot of stuff from the late 70s is so browned from glue and stats, I just find i want stuff thats all hand lettered to avoid that down the road.

Buscema.jpg

Also picked this up this weekend just cause its never a bad time to buy a McSpidey.

McFarlane.jpg

Had a nice acquisition this weekend. Full Splash from MTU 58, chocked full of bronze-y goodness. Its by Sal Buscema and Pablo Marcos. Great Sal look to the faces, man knows how to draw expressions. Condition was also on point, lot of stuff from the late 70s is so browned from glue and stats, I just find i want stuff thats all hand lettered to avoid that down the road.

Buscema.jpg

Also picked this up this weekend just cause its never a bad time to buy a McSpidey.

McFarlane.jpg

Congrats on two great pieces!

Turning back the calendar 35 years....

Here's a vintage Defenders calendar plate with classic images of Dr. Strange, Hulk and Sub-Mariner published in Marvel's "The Occult World of Dr. Strange" 1980 calendar (released in 1979). Keith Pollard with sweeeeet Joe Sinnott inks on oversized 19" x 19" artboard.

1LbpZoVq_0502141049261.jpg

"The Occult World of Dr. Strange" Marvel

Calendar Plate (1979)

WOW! Congrats!

In the last few weeks I had a few commissions done (and a free sketch) that I didn't show off here yet, so here they are (along with their links to CAF, for those who'd like to comment). Hope you like them!

Princess Leia by Stéphane Roux

dNfHFITL_0809150842061.jpeg

Harley Quinn by Ryan Benjamin

vVF05ydo_2609151347141.jpeg

The Savage Wolverine by Chris Stevens

0Vrjacyy_1309150649451.jpg

The Joker by Gary Frank

Of8rgr9E_2609151347171.jpeg

A Frank Brunner time capsule!

Back in 1975 Frank Brunner was selling off some of his original art as packages. According to the seller Frank sold 10 of these “packages”. This package #10 was bought in January of 1976. It included not only an original art page, but a layout of another page, a collection of Xeroxes of pencils, a hand-colored copy of a cover, a sketch, and signed copies of Doctor Strange 1-5.

A Brunner feast of art and an amazing purchase for this Doctor Strange fan. I am very excited to share the contents of this package:

Marvel Premiere #11 page 2. This issue had a 3 page framing sequence done by Brunner. This is one of the few Dr. Strange/Marvel Premiere pages drawn AND inked by Frank Brunner. It has been in a private collection since 1975 so unseen by most until now. mp11p2

Doctor Strange #2 page 6 original layout. I may have a layout from another package since I bought a layout of Dr. Strange #2, page 1 a few years ago and it also has a similar title and signature at the bottom. DrS2p6

5 Xeroxes of his pencils

Marvel Premiere #10 p. 2 mp10p2

Doctor Strange #2 p. 26 DS2p26

Doctor Strange #4 p. 2 - DS4p2

Doctor Strange #4 p. 17 Ds4p17pencils

(I also own the prelim drawing for this page ) DS4p17prelim

Doctor Strange #5 p. 6 - DS5p6

A hand-colored copy of the cover to Doctor Strange #6 DS6handcoloredcover

A sketch of Clea #10 of 10. Clea

Big week for me!

Punisher #4 cover (1987) by Klaus Janson [100% nostalgia piece for me!]

Punisher #4 cover

Detective #486 pinup by Don Newton and Dan Adkins [my favorite inker on Newton]

'Tec 486 pinup by Newton

Batman #363, pg 2 splash by Don Newton [1st full appearance of Nocturna!!!!]

Bats #363, pg 2 splash

Big week for me!

Punisher #4 cover (1987) by Klaus Janson [100% nostalgia piece for me!]

Punisher #4 cover

Detective #486 pinup by Don Newton and Dan Adkins [my favorite inker on Newton]

'Tec 486 pinup by Newton

Batman #363, pg 2 splash by Don Newton [1st full appearance of Nocturna!!!!]

Bats #363, pg 2 splash

Hey Bob, I am available to sign those adoption papers whenever you're ready.

I have extended my collection of Eduardo Barreto OA. They all hail from Gary Dolgoff in Easthampton, MA, who always asks a decent price for the stuff he has for sale

ShadowStrikes_6_p19_SM.JPG DocSavage_18_p3_SM.JPG

The Shadow Strikes! #6, page19 och Doc Savage #18, page 3.

DocSavage_18_12_SM.JPG DocSavage_18_14_SM.JPG

Doc Savage #18, pages 12 & 14.

DocSavage_18_19_SM.JPG DocSavage_18_22_SM.JPG

Doc Savage #18, pages 19 & 22.

DocSavage_18_23_SM.JPG

Doc Savage #18, page 23.

To be able to fit twice as many pages in their schedule (this was at a time when delayed books were something scarce) Doc Savage artist Rod Whigham did the layouts, and Barreto finished the pencils and inks. And that's what he was really good at. I might have said it before but I think it runs a straight line from Caniff by Robbins and Jijé to Barreto?

I am not complaining that Barreto is still very underrated, that means I can afford more OA by him (Click on the pictures to see them in my Barreto gallery on CAF).

Edited by Caltex98