• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
38 38

12,770 posts in this topic

Christmas continues at the Johnson household. Kathy commissioned a Sugar & Spike #100 cover for me from Katie Cook featuring her characters Gronk, Dale, Kitty, and Harli along with the kids. It's delightful.

Check it out (click to embiggen):

Ql8nxklv_2812152130301.jpg

Edited by alxjhnsn

I just got this in the mail today. I was a big fan of the World War Hulk story line, finally got a piece of oa from it.

Jrjr

image.jpg

Great page - congrats!

I just got this in the mail today. I was a big fan of the World War Hulk story line, finally got a piece of oa from it.

Jrjr

That's a super page!

Thanks! I'm happy.

Anyone remember Marvel's Over the Edge series from the mid 90's? I didn't either but but I was happy to pick up a nice Banner to Hulk transformation page from the issue with the Hulk.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1283992

3Sbnbvqq_0301160159501.jpg

Edited by JadeGiant

Occasionally I'll see here or on CAF a story about how some wife or girlfriend was amazing and bought an incredible piece of art for their significant other. Every time I saw something like that, I wished that my wife had enough comic knowledge to do the same. Let me be clear, my wife rocks and after 9 years or marriage I'm still super stoked I get to be with her. But, for as supportive as she is about my enjoyment of comics, she doesn't share that passion. Well, this Christmas, she blew me away with this surprise:

I can't be 100% sure because as a kid my love of super heroes didn't actually start with comic books - I didn't start collecting until much later so I didn't really keep track. But one of the very first (if not the first) comics I owned was Superman 121. The story wasn't really cool (although it's amazing how relevant it still is today), but the cover really grabbed me - very powerful. Well, many years later I learned that cover was hanging in a local comic shop. I'm sure I showed my wife on one of the 2 occasions she's ever been there with me, but I was also sure she was only half paying attention. Boy was I wrong.

Without so much as hinting, she went to the shop and opened a negotiation with the owner to buy it for me. Took her a couple days of calling an going back in, but he finally let it go. An incredible gift and my first OA cover, from possibly the first book I ever owned (did I mention my wife rocks?):

Superman%20121%20-%20Cover%20-%20resized%20small_zpspwdrmafb.jpg

Without so much as hinting, she went to the shop and opened a negotiation with the owner to buy it for me. Took her a couple days of calling an going back in, but he finally let it go. An incredible gift and my first OA cover, from possibly the first book I ever owned (did I mention my wife rocks?):

Fantastic story! Congrats on your 1st cover.

Great story and a wonderful wife.

On the wife gift giving front, it was many years before my wife and I could get on the same page. I hate getting gifts that I don't want especially when they come from my family, i.e, out of our joint checking account. It's just a waste and makes me sad not glad.

So, how did we fix it?

Well, one of the things that made a huge difference is that I started making a list and keeping it up to date. It has books, commission possibilities, even specific pieces of art that I'd like.

Food for thought.

P.S. I get that I'm an ungrateful lout.

Occasionally I'll see here or on CAF a story about how some wife or girlfriend was amazing and bought an incredible piece of art for their significant other. Every time I saw something like that, I wished that my wife had enough comic knowledge to do the same. Let me be clear, my wife rocks and after 9 years or marriage I'm still super stoked I get to be with her. But, for as supportive as she is about my enjoyment of comics, she doesn't share that passion. Well, this Christmas, she blew me away with this surprise:

I can't be 100% sure because as a kid my love of super heroes didn't actually start with comic books - I didn't start collecting until much later so I didn't really keep track. But one of the very first (if not the first) comics I owned was Superman 121. The story wasn't really cool (although it's amazing how relevant it still is today), but the cover really grabbed me - very powerful. Well, many years later I learned that cover was hanging in a local comic shop. I'm sure I showed my wife on one of the 2 occasions she's ever been there with me, but I was also sure she was only half paying attention. Boy was I wrong.

For what it's worth, I actually really liked the story and cover !

Dan Jurgens did some amazing "done-in-one" stories and this was a

good read !

Congrats on this amazing gem and even more so for having such

a wonderful soulmate !

For what it's worth, I actually really liked the story and cover !

Dan Jurgens did some amazing "done-in-one" stories and this was a

good read !

Congrats on this amazing gem and even more so for having such

a wonderful soulmate !

Thanks! - to clarify, I actually really like the story and find it both impactful and still very relevant. I just meant it wasn't like a big action story or something out of a famous arc. I really love a lot of Dan's work! For anyone who hasn't read this issue - pick it up!