• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
38 38

12,761 posts in this topic

If Liefeld had an inker as good as Miki is now, he would not be mocked.

I

OK, that's definitely a stretch. I don't care how good the inker is, no one is capable of correcting Liefeld anatomy issues...among other things. That is, unless you just want to let the inker totally redraw the page.

Speaking of which...

Best.Artist.Ever.

1172902-liefeldcapheavingchest1.gif

ABOUT MARK SMYLIE AND ARCHAIA STUDIOS PRESS (ASP)

Mark Smylie founded Archaia Studios Press (ASP) in 2002 as a new home for his epic fantasy comic book, Artesia (first published by Sirius Entertainment). Mark was nominated for the Russ Manning Award for Best Newcomer in 1999, and for an Eisner Award for Talent Deserving of Wider Recognition in 2001. His illustration work has appeared in books by Wizards of the Coast and White Wolf and on collectible cards for AEG.

Further information at:

www.archaiasp.com

Artesia Online site:

http://www.daradja.com/index.html

don't care how good the inker is, no one is capable of correcting Liefeld anatomy issues...among other things. That is, unless you just want to let the inker totally redraw the page.

It's like Rock, Paper, Scissor to me.. Pencils cover paper, and Ink covers pencils...

I have seen artists who look completely different in the hands of different inkers too.

Jim Lee comes to mind...his Scott Williams inked pieces jump out at you the way his self inked or other inker inked pieces don't.

Chris

don't care how good the inker is, no one is capable of correcting Liefeld anatomy issues...among other things. That is, unless you just want to let the inker totally redraw the page.

It's like Rock, Paper, Scissor to me.. Pencils cover paper, and Ink covers pencils...

I have seen artists who look completely different in the hands of different inkers too.

Jim Lee comes to mind...his Scott Williams inked pieces jump out at you the way his self inked or other inker inked pieces don't.

Chris

Simply cause Scott Williams is the better inker,Jim Lee doesn't really ink his own stuff and he said in an interview that if he inks his own stuff,he gets bored and that he's no the best inker,but said he's passible.

Those Artesia pages by Mark Smylie are stunning - afraid I wasn't familiar with him before but I'll have to pay attention now!

Yesterday I got a wonderful package from Barcelona with a great unpublished piece of Dracula/Vlad the Impaler by Esteban Maroto - I'm thrilled to add this to my collection as I grew up loving his work on the old Warren magazines and have always wanted a really nice example, this was worth waiting for! It is HUGE and the just doesn't do the detail any justice, its so nice to recieve something and have it be that much better than you'd hoped for!

vlad.jpg

Awesome Maroto pin-up! He is among the best artists ever to work in comics but since he didn't do much character artwork, he just never developed the fan base that he deserves. I actually just bought a 12-page complete story by Maroto from Creepy #52. Here are the first 6 pages (the last six pages can be seen in my CAF gallery: http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=24292):

1230312-MarotoAMPT1-6small.jpg

1230312-MarotoAMPT1-6small.jpg.a36ce70c6b709b184d038adaa64f48c3.jpg

By all rights, this series should have sucked and I felt bad that Robert Kirkman seems to be pigeon-holed as the goto zombie guy. But I really enjoyed it. I've been wanting a piece of art from the series, almost bought a piece or two from Mark Hay, but decided to wait for the "right" one. When I saw this page in the last issue, I knew it was the "one":

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece...at=0&UCat=0

A classic head-to-head battle splash featuring a ton of zombie super-heroes. Check it out!