• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading shenanigans at CGC?
9 9

387 posts in this topic

"the grades were reassessed by the senior grading team during the QC step

So, just to be clear, we're expected to believe that there are "senior" graders inspecting books AFTER they've already been encapsulated.

Hmm... ok.  So is that for ALL books, or just special books?  Special submissions?  Special submitters?  

I'm just curious, because I want to know what I need to do to get this kind of treatment from the company that didnt bother to actually grade books based on their own standards because it was too time consuming.

On 10/21/2024 at 10:55 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

Look man...all I want to know is how much money I have to pay to get a Bronze Age 9.9 grade.

It depends what you're willing to pay in a ComicLink auction. :shy:

On 10/16/2024 at 7:23 PM, CGC Mike said:

I will pass this along, and mention that there is a census error with 2 books. 

Any word from CGC on a) questions surrounding this submission and b) getting the census updated/corrected?

The two erroneous books both still say 9.8 but their pictures (showing 9.9) have been removed ???

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/4491019007/

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/4491019011/

Edited by brute_nm

On 10/21/2024 at 6:32 PM, Tnexus said:

So wait, they were graded by one grader, then were slabbed, then QC sends them to the senior graders who must have seen enough on them while slabbed (so no side spine) to bring them down to a 9.8?

I had a similar question to Mike regarding this review and re-grading process.  Does it happen only to 9.9 and 10.0 books whereby they all get the second look over by additional senior graders (shrug)

But my other question is a bit more investigative and directed to the boardie detectives.  Is there a way to know if the original submitter has had similar 9.9 results in past submissions to CGC?   

On 10/21/2024 at 9:22 PM, brute_nm said:

Any word from CGC on a) questions surrounding this submission and b) getting the census updated/corrected?

The two erroneous books both still say 9.8 but their pictures (showing 9.9) have been removed ???

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/4491019007/

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/4491019011/

Mike posted an update a few posts prior to yours. Scroll back to page 16.

Edited by Tnexus

On 10/21/2024 at 7:45 PM, 0r0d said:

"the grades were reassessed by the senior grading team during the QC step

So, just to be clear, we're expected to believe that there are "senior" graders inspecting books AFTER they've already been encapsulated.

Probably because they know their slabbing process is damaging comics.

How is it that every time CGC offers an explanation for something, things make even less sense than they did before?

On 10/22/2024 at 2:18 AM, Tnexus said:

Probably because they know their slabbing process is damaging comics.

Zero proof of this and the photos people are flashing are well within 9.8 grade range or at least cgc’s somewhat new 9.8 range. Of course you could also put your trust in pictures posted by board members that are “not doctored” lol

On 10/21/2024 at 10:31 PM, Axelrod said:

The red flag is:  Why was this invoice, full of very common and otherwise not especially valuable books, assigned to CGC's "senior" team of graders?

And I suspect the answer is:  Because the fix was in.  

This was not just a random submission.  This was a submission where phone calls were made, special care was taken, and special consideration was very likely given.  

I would bet money that this submission involved a personal phone call to Matt Nelson (or similar) from a very special friend, giving a heads-up that said special friend was sending a set of books that they thought were 9.9/10 candidates, and would you please take a very close and careful look at these when they come in thank you very much....

Bingo! Considering the books that were submitted for grading, it makes zero sense to have them graded at the Unlimited Value tier and pay 3x or more for the grading fees. This submitter was expecting 9.9s in this submission and, given the history and inconsistency of CGC grading, they had no reason to expect that unless some assurances were made beforehand.

Edited by MadGenius

On 10/22/2024 at 5:38 AM, CGC Mike said:

This invoice was graded and QC’d by our senior team of graders.  The 9.9’s are legit.  As shown in the images, these are exceptionally nice books. Regarding the two examples with different grades shown in the online images, the grades were reassessed by the senior grading team during the QC step, but the original images were not replaced. This has been rectified.

and the submitter was the regular VIP or a different VIP? 

On 10/22/2024 at 12:52 AM, mosconi said:

Is there a way to know if the original submitter has had similar 9.9 results in past submissions to CGC?   

No. But you can see if any other submissions surrounding 9.9s have similar results. You have to look through the newly graded 9.9s. Pick one and enter the cert number in the lookup tool. Then enter the same cert number replacing the last 2 digits with a 01 at the end and continue through 25. That’s how this submission was found.

Lots of effort to find out information that will never be verified. 

There is also zero doubt that this ability will be changed in short order. Something to the effect of protecting client privacy, etc. 

Edited by mikenyc
Spacebar is not my friend