• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Books IN Movies
1 1

254 posts in this topic

anyone know if the story in Mystery Tales #40 (for Lost fans) has been posted anywhere to read it?[/Quote]

I haven't seen it on these boards.

Back to Comic Books in movies.

In the 1960 movie DINOSAURUS!, a Irish guy who is suppose to be watching the frozen bodies of a T-Rex and Brontosaurus, is seen reading a CLASSIC ILLUSTRATED Rip Van Winkle issue. Of corse the dinos come alive and the guy gets eaten by the T-Rex. Best part in the movie is when the hero fights the T-Rex with the construction crews steam shovel.

Previously posted in;

Gold Comics: 1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST

Screen shots from Superman TV series.

A Ghost for Scotland Yard - Second Season

I really like this one.....coulda used that face on a Maneely cover..!!

scotyard.png

Crime Wave - First Season

crimew.png

Unlucky Number - Fourth Season

Lois and the Man Of Steel himself...!!

unlky.png

nmbr.png

Here's another from;

The Birthday Letter - First Season

bltr.png

Dunno if it's been mentioned in the previous pages of this thread but in a couple Episodes of MASH, we see some of Radar's comics.

And although the show is set during the Korean War, the comics are from the early 70's. ;)

Lost Boys! headbang.gif

The Frog Brothers own a comic shop on the boardwalk. You can sort of see the shop in the background.

FrogBrothers.jpg

It's been a long time since I saw Lost Boys in the theater, but there was a scene where the new kid is showing off his knowledge to the skeptical local boys (soon to be his fellow vampire hunters) by pointing out that key issues have been misfiled, such as the 1st appearance of Red Kryptonite. It looked like the director or scriptwriter was trying to make things authentic, but unfortunately, all the information was incorrect.

COMIC BOOK VILLAINS. Story about a group of comic collectors discovering a comic collection of someone that passed away. Comics in the movie are most likely copies or props.

Well thats all I can think of right now. Anyone else have any they remember?

If this is the movie I think it is, it's about a comic shop owner like the Comic Book Guy on the Simpsons and a yuppie couple who own a shopping mall comic boutique (the old school shop owner calls them "dabblers") and their pursuit of a dead man's comic collection. The comics looked real, and the credits included a thanks to Motor City Comics so they must have loaned them out.

Well, I've gone and made a few posts without reading all the preceding pages, so I'm sorry if I'm rehashing old news. That said......Here are a couple more.

1.) Either The Hot Rock or The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight has a scene where a guy is reading Superboy #175. I remember recognizing that cover because I had bought that issue off the stand.

2.) There was a movie about Elvis Presley, that I think I saw in the early 80's, that combined documentary footage with dramatizations of scenes from his early life. There is a scene where he is a kid in a drugstore and there is a spinner rack with comics on it. One of them is a Kirby monster-era Strange Tales, maybe even a real one (#100?) instead of a prop, but the logo is the 60's style, not the 50's Atlas style, hence it would have been on the stands when Elvis was already grown up. Elvis would have been a kid during the Timely era. Anyway, this is another example of a movie attempting an authentic period but not getting it right.

I wonder if board members could get hired as "period comic book consultants" or something like that for the movie industry. Hmm...........

Thought I would bump this old thread for the Mystery Tales #40 pics and to add a comic I saw in Holy Mountain that looked to be a modified Captain Marvel #1 to Captain Captain #1 or something similar almost 1 hour into this arty 70's movie. By the way, anyone know if the story in Mystery Tales #40 (for Lost fans) has been posted anywhere to read it?

The entire Mystery Tales #40 story was posted on someone's blog but I don't recall where. A Google search would probably bring it up.

Here's another: Hell In The Pacific. There is a scene near the end where Lee Marvin is reading a Captain Marvel comic. It might have been Whiz Comics, but I just remember seeing Captain Marvel on the cover.

By the way, here's a disclaimer: All of my recent posts are based on memories of seeing these movies in the theater when they were first released, so some of my "facts" might be blurred by the passage of time.

Poster: thecollectron

Subject: Re: Comic Books IN Movies

Originally Posted By: Mister_Comics

COMIC BOOK VILLAINS. Story about a group of comic collectors discovering a comic collection of someone that passed away. Comics in the movie are most likely copies or props.

If this is the movie I think it is, it's about a comic shop owner like the Comic Book Guy on the Simpsons and a yuppie couple who own a shopping mall comic boutique (the old school shop owner calls them "dabblers") and their pursuit of a dead man's comic collection. The comics looked real, and the credits included a thanks to Motor City Comics so they must have loaned them out.[/Quote]

This is the movie. I picked this up recently. Thought it was a decent film.

ComicBookVillains.jpg

Poster: thecollectron

Subject: Re: Comic Books IN Movies

Originally Posted By: Mister_Comics

If this is the movie I think it is, it's about a comic shop owner like the Comic Book Guy on the Simpsons and a yuppie couple who own a shopping mall comic boutique (the old school shop owner calls them "dabblers") and their pursuit of a dead man's comic collection. The comics looked real, and the credits included a thanks to Motor City Comics so they must have loaned them out.[/Quote]

This is the movie. I picked this up recently. Thought it was a decent film.

ComicBookVillains.jpg

That's the one. I thought it was pretty good too.

I just saw Drugstore Cowboy again and in the scene where the woman fakes a seizure, the spinner rack had a Fantastic Four #114 and Defenders #17 on it, as well as a copy of Laugh and "Zell."