• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Other than comics, what do you collect?
5 5

My Other Hobby  

5 members have voted

1. 1. My Other Hobby

440 posts in this topic

Images. Lots and lots of picture files (including anything interesting that has ever posted here).

Such as the animated gif ad banner for Gary the Rat from 2003 that I am currently using in my sigline. It's from before TNN became Spike.

Cool! For awhile I was collecting the google themed images. For anyone who hasn't noticed, they usually change their logo at different times of the calendar year, so they'll have a themed logo for Christmas, the Olympics, the World Cup, etc.

I've got several of those as well. It's like Pokeman. "Gotta get 'em all!" tongue.gif

1328351-Google_stpatricks.gif

1328351-Google_stpatricks.gif.2347f2b818a3cc533d41f7a48113dd01.gif

I also collect Kidrobot toys! Luckily, there's a Kidrobot store in San Francisco. Lately, I've been trying to collect Rocketworld I.W.G. toys:

Insurgents Wilderness Grouppo

I find them designed really well, and I love the ironic use of weapons. I'm a little late to find them, though, so I only have a couple of the bears.

Those are sweet. yay.gif

I like Frank Kozik's Smorkin’ Mongers for kind of the same reason ( the humor/irony).

Smorkin'

Where else can you find smoking watermelons, grenades, ice cream cones, and even cigarettes?

I might have to get one of those bears.

Besides comics

I collect

movie/tv/teen magazines of the 60s/70s

sealed lps-rare records

non sports cards

favorite shows from the 50s-70s on dvd

and probably a few other things

back in the late 80s I collected baseball cards and some coins

really - how much is something like that beat up vs restored vs original in great shape (loose)?

All of the cars pictured are Spoilers, a subset of the overall Hotwheels line, typified by racing stripes, numbers, spectraflame paint and exposed engines. They are hotly collected.

Depending on colour and style, some of these are worth $1000+ mint and on the card (the record price for a hotwheel was $70k for a very rare hot pink VW beach van prototype.... so comic collectors aren't the only freaks). Loose and still in excellent shape, they go from $50 to several hundred dollars.

Beaters? I don't think I paid more than $15 for any of these, and they were all in reasonable, played-with condition. I stripped them, polished them, cleaned up the wheels and the glass, then repainted them with an airbrush and added new decals. And they are all-pimpin' now.

I restore one every six months or so.... just too busy to do one in a few days. I bought a large (25 cars) lot off ebay in 2004 which will provide me with enough cars to keep me busy for a few years.

Hotwheels.... they go great with comics.

Shep

I also collect Kidrobot toys! Luckily, there's a Kidrobot store in San Francisco. Lately, I've been trying to collect Rocketworld I.W.G. toys:

Insurgents Wilderness Grouppo

I find them designed really well, and I love the ironic use of weapons. I'm a little late to find them, though, so I only have a couple of the bears.

Those are sweet. yay.gif

I like Frank Kozik's Smorkin’ Mongers for kind of the same reason ( the humor/irony).

Smorkin'

Where else can you find smoking watermelons, grenades, ice cream cones, and even cigarettes?

I might have to get one of those bears.

I have the smorkin' pink ice cream cone and hand grenade on my desk at home. cloud9.gif Plus, I have the large smorkin' redrum labbit on eBay currently.

At one time or another I have collected

Sports Cards

D&D Miniatures

Role Playing

Hot Wheels

Action Figures

Magic; the Gathering cards

Vintage Christmas Lights

Legos

really - how much is something like that beat up vs restored vs original in great shape (loose)?

All of the cars pictured are Spoilers, a subset of the overall Hotwheels line, typified by racing stripes, numbers, spectraflame paint and exposed engines. They are hotly collected.

Depending on colour and style, some of these are worth $1000+ mint and on the card (the record price for a hotwheel was $70k for a very rare hot pink VW beach van prototype.... so comic collectors aren't the only freaks). Loose and still in excellent shape, they go from $50 to several hundred dollars.

Beaters? I don't think I paid more than $15 for any of these, and they were all in reasonable, played-with condition. I stripped them, polished them, cleaned up the wheels and the glass, then repainted them with an airbrush and added new decals. And they are all-pimpin' now.

I restore one every six months or so.... just too busy to do one in a few days. I bought a large (25 cars) lot off ebay in 2004 which will provide me with enough cars to keep me busy for a few years.

Hotwheels.... they go great with comics.

Shep

I figured they would be worth some good money on the card. Interesting to hear some are worth bucks loose too - thanks!

I dug up my childhood hotwheels out of curiosity and have been trying to look them up on ebay - we're talking a couple bucks each for the good ones 27_laughing.gif

I collect the following:

vintage Japanese movie posters (circa 1966 - 1974) like this one:

affiche.jpg

first edition books by Harry Houdini

memorabilia from Wild West City in Netcong, NJ

late Sixties female pop vocal singles from Japan

Geez, it is more of "what I DON'T collect", at least as my wife would see it. 27_laughing.gif

One area of focus, among many, are items relating to the Titanic.

8472_23437_5.jpg

I am holding an original Marconigram sent by the RMS Olympic to the RMS Titanic just 15 minutes after the Titanic hit an iceberg, and a rare medal given to a crew member of the RMS Carpathia for rescuing Titanic survivors.

Also, items relating to the JFK Assassination. In this case, books.

8472_23440_8.jpg

Finally, historic items particularly with a legal relationship:

8472_23442_10.jpg

These are tickets issued to attend Presidents Johnson and Clinton's impeachment hearings.