• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Other than comics, what do you collect?
5 5

My Other Hobby  

5 members have voted

1. 1. My Other Hobby

440 posts in this topic

While comics was my first collecting love, and perhaps still my favorite, I also collect autographs. I tend to focus on sports and historical autographs, but also have a decent amount of other areas like entertainment. (If you think that undisclosed restoration and grading inconsistancies are a problem in comic collecting, it is miniscule compared to the epidemic of forgeries in autograph collecting.)

I tend to go back and forth a bit. I'll get a bit bored with the nonsense in one hobby and drift the other way for a while to eventually return.

Right now, I'm pretty discouraged with all my collecting areas. I'm half tempted to unload many of my autographs because the unrelenting flood of forgeries is already beginning to devalue authentic autographs. It sucks to do your homework, study up and invest in nice historical pieces with impeccable provenance, only to have them devalued because thousands of scumbags are selling fakes on eBay.

With comics, I'm discouraged because I've spent the last 20 years putting together a respectable midgrade collection to learn that the future looks very bleak for any book that is less than 9.X as per CGC. While "investment and future value" are not my primary collecting concerns, with today's prices, it would be foolish to completely ignore the matter of future value.

Check out my blog (link in my signature). I put up my Jerry Orbach signed photo today. frown.gif

Not a surprise as I am pretty conversant about it but I also collect 1930's and 1940's horror/sci-fi movie paper - mainly lobby cards with the off half-sheet, insert (love inserts) and 1-sheet.

In fact, I just recieved today the following pieces and they are - well - swell!

HOUSE OF DRACULA, HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN, PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN, INVISIBLE MAN'S REVENGE (hte invis man is the TITLE CARD! Woot!)) LOBBY CARDS - all are original Universal release pieces. Also FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN 1949 Realart re-release (4-color) lobby. And THE APE (Karloff) title lobby card (original release) and REVENGE OF THE ZOMBIES (Carradine) original title card.

I be a happy Pov! thumbsup2.gif

Not a surprise as I am pretty conversant about it but I also collect 1930's and 1940's horror/sci-fi movie paper - mainly lobby cards with the off half-sheet, insert (love inserts) and 1-sheet.

In fact, I just recieved today the following pieces and they are - well - swell!

HOUSE OF DRACULA, HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN, PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN, INVISIBLE MAN'S REVENGE (hte invis man is the TITLE CARD! Woot!)) LOBBY CARDS - all are original Universal release pieces. Also FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN 1949 Realart re-release (4-color) lobby. And THE APE (Karloff) title lobby card (original release) and REVENGE OF THE ZOMBIES (Carradine) original title card.

I shall hear more of this if you will. I love old movie posters. I've been holding off getting into that realm of collecting until I buy a house (I currently have a small townhome that doesnt' have enough wall space).

Do you have pics or links of your goods?

I shall hear more of this if you will. I love old movie posters. I've been holding off getting into that realm of collecting until I buy a house (I currently have a small townhome that doesnt' have enough wall space).

Do you have pics or links of your goods?

Feel free to PM me. I will be most happy to post some images. I did a few months back but danged there has been a lot going on since then!

Movie paper is still an affordable market if you know what you;re doing, get some education, and understand what makes certain pieces key. (Kind of like comics! lol)

Big thing though? Restoration is almost fdully accepted and condition is much less critical.

That disturnbs me ion some weays because I see some restored or low grade pieces going for the same as better and unrestored pieces.

Anyway - pm me and will be happy to shoot some of my pieces link them!

I collect Gold, Silver, and Bronze comics, Marvel and DC. My main focus is Batman.

I also collect original comic book artwork, now focusing on covers and splash pages.

Lastly, I love the 1940 Saafield Superman Puzzles. I just scored another one off Ebay today (now I have three of the Superman and the Submarine). Here is a link to the thread I started with scans of all the ones I have (no dupes shown).

WARNING BIG FILES!!!

Superman Puzzles wink.gif

I collect Gold, Silver, and Bronze comics, Marvel and DC. My main focus is Batman.

I also collect original comic book artwork, now focusing on covers and splash pages.

Lastly, I love the 1940 Saafield Superman Puzzles. I just scored another one off Ebay today (now I have three of the Superman and the Submarine). Here is a link to the thread I started with scans of all the ones I have (no dupes shown).

WARNING BIG FILES!!!

Superman Puzzles wink.gif

What covers/splashes do you have?

Holy hell, thanks bro! How tall (in inches) is that Nightcrawler? I'll have to hunt one of these up on eBay. Thanks again

I'm not sure in actual inches, but with the base, it's slightly taller than the wolverine in your pic. Do an Ebay search for "Marvel Collectors Club" and you'll see what it looks like. Also, my LCS has a beautiful Angel statue for sale. It's unlicensed but gorgeous. About the same size or slightly bigger than thr Colossus statue.

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I was just curious what other interests my fellow board members have besides comics. I have never collected traditional "action figures", however, following my passion for art and design, I have a collection of urban vinyl/art toys. This hobby began after a trip to New York three years ago where I visited a store called Kidrobot. The toys are designed by some of the most well known graphic designers and graffiti artists from around the world. I find the designs and artwork inspire me in much the same way comics have over the years.

So, what do you guys collect besides funny books?