• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Other than comics, what do you collect?
5 5

My Other Hobby  

5 members have voted

1. 1. My Other Hobby

440 posts in this topic

Esquirecomics,

I also have collected books about the JFK assassination. What are your rarest ones?

I'll PM you (or anyone else if they are interested) a list so as not to detract this thread in any great detail.

Of course, what was rare years ago is no longer necessarily the case today due to the Internet, such as for example with respect to the limited edition of Dallas Police Chief Jesse Cury's book which is generally available thorugh e-bay at a reasonable price (though I do have an autographed copy). One of the most "rarest" items I have is the complete House Select Committee on Assassinations set. Virtually impossible to find intact as each volume was issued and sold separately. The rest I will PM you tonight. hi.gif

BTW, I also have some great assassination related items such as the original search warrant used to search Ruth Paine's garage, Helen Markham's letter to testify before the Warren Commission, Jack Ruby's Power of Attorney issued to his sister, and a letter from Jack Ruby's attorney Mel Belli congratulating Ruby on his conviction being overturned. gossip.gif

Nice aquatint..!!!

I collect vintage postcards of my hometown...

12.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I collect;

Hand painted lithographs from the mid 19th century, mostly birds by; Gould, Kuelemans, Audubon and a few others.

Plated/illustrated natural history books from the late 19th century.

Hand carved wooden letter openers/page turners with a animal or human theme, folk-art preferred but hard to come by.

Here’s some plates;

scan0045xgn9.jpg

227002xc7.jpg

scan0046xex4.jpg

scan0047xtu5.jpg

Goalie masks. If I have some time, I'll photograph the Spidey masks I've got (3 versions).

I've recently taken up buying vintage goalie masks, and acquired these two:

larocque_03.gif

dryden-a1.jpg

I gotta see the spidey masks...I play dek and I was gonna paint my mask up like venom.....eyes near the crown, teeth around the facemask, just gotta get the supplies.....

Comic art - - though not currently actively

We went through a phase where we collected this weird orange/peach lustreware made by fireking in the 50s/60s, but stopped when it took up too much space.

Antique tiles - have some American tiles from the 1800s/early 1900s and a bunch of Portugese tiles from the 1600s - 1800s. Haven't been doing that lately. Really no idea what they were "worth", was simply buying stuff I though looked nice.

I accumulated a bunch of sports cards, but was never a "collector"

Huge collection of vintage magazines like Saturday Evening Post, New Yorkers from the 30s-60s, etc. Not actively collecting this stuff either, although I did find myself buying a few Posts, Colliers and Life magazines from the 40s not too long ago because they looked interesting. Probably won't be doing that again.

Books written by my great grandfather in the late 1800s/early 1900s. He was a somewhat popular author at the time and published like 25-30 books as well as numerous short stories in the magazines of the day, so I buy those too when I see them. He was sort of a third rate Mark Twain/Conan Doyle and was a personal friend of Twain back in the day. (Some of his books were suspense type books, but in rural american settings and most of his books dealt with rural life) Unfortunately, the rare books are impossible to find (like his late 1800s attempt at science fiction) and the common ones are all over the place for like $3-$5, so I have some in triplicate and have never seen some of the others.

Books in general, though not so much to collect, usually to flip on ebay. I keep some of the older ones that don't sell on ebay that have interesting illustrations and/or that I think are worth something. I'll revisit those later.

I have bought some regular 'ole art off ebay, mainly from people who post on the art chatboard over there, though I won't say I'm a collector of it. stuff i liked that wasn't too expensive. i have a lot of my own work that i never get around to framing, so i don't buy too much by others.

I had been collecting old legal books. Mainly stuff the library at my old firm was throwing out as obsolete (reporters from the 1800s, etc.). Looked cool. But I made the mistake of keeping it in my office. When I went away on vacation before I left my old job, the library staff came into my office and confiscated all of it and tossed it in a dumpster. What a bunch of [embarrassing lack of self control].

Books written by my great grandfather in the late 1800s/early 1900s. He was a somewhat popular author at the time and published like 25-30 books as well as numerous short stories in the magazines of the day, so I buy those too when I see them. He was sort of a third rate Mark Twain/Conan Doyle and was a personal friend of Twain back in the day. (Some of his books were suspense type books, but in rural american settings and most of his books dealt with rural life) Unfortunately, the rare books are impossible to find (like his late 1800s attempt at science fiction) and the common ones are all over the place for like $3-$5, so I have some in triplicate and have never seen some of the others.

What was his name?

In addition to comic books, I collect:

Comic Book Hardcovers

Marvel Topps Stickers (75 & 76)

Science Fiction First Editions

Beat Writer First Editions

Some OA

Some comic related Hot Wheels (70s)

A few action figures

A few statues