• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Other than comics, what do you collect?
5 5

My Other Hobby  

5 members have voted

1. 1. My Other Hobby

440 posts in this topic

I also collect movie posters and DVD's(if you consider them a collectible). The posters usually get short shrift compared to the comics. If it's a choice between all of my hobbies, DVD would probably win out because of the relatively inexpensive prices, and also because it was always a dream of mine to build up a collection of movies.

Nice. Here's mine about a month ago. I was out with the local Jeep club taking pictures of some other Jeeps and on my way back to mine I thought this made a good picture. I still have plenty to do, but got some rocker armor on the sides and body and suspension lift installed last summer.

flex.jpg

live in a manhattan apartment. that's all you need to keep some semblance of control over your collecting habits. the $120/mo I spend on a climate controlled storage room makes me cry. that's a bunch of nice comics every month lost.

Kyle (HardOCP) is a huge off-road nut too. He is a member of a local Hummer 2 club that actually uses their Hummers for what they were supposed to be used for...offroading. The stuff you guys can do with your rigs is flat out amazing.

Nice Jeep bro. thumbsup2.gif

I actually started out collecting coins on eBay in 1998. I didn't really collect anything before that (aside from a few coins/comics in my youth). I got into the hobby quite a bit, but realized that alot of the coins I really wanted were too expensive. I still have quite a few coins in my collection, but most of them have been sitting in a safe for 3 years.

Then, I got into comics (in a big way). Started reading alot of them and buying a bunch on eBay (BA to Modern). Also, reading about the hobby in old Overstreets and trade magazines like CBA/Alter Ego.

Comics are much more fasctinating to read than looking at a coin. I get much more enjoyment out of my comic book/comic art collecting than coin collecting.

Well, my first love is First Edition hard cover books. I love to read so why not have the first, right? I've discovered that while I can't read everything, these books certainly look impressive on my bookcases, even though I only have around 400.

I also collect Green Bay Packers football cards. I've noticed that it's much easier to store and look through my card collection than it is to enjoy my comics. Even if I only have a few mintues, I can pick up a binder and look through a few cards. I like that.

As for comics, I'm learning that it's a fairly ugly hobby and not easily accesible. I mean, how many ugly white cardboard boxes do you have? How often do you get to read or enjoy your comics? It's just not as easy as the other collections.

I got away form comics after the crash in the 90's, I now collect Statues.

Here are some pics, and some more links for the bandwidth challenged

000_0596.JPG

I have the full size Galactus also, it's with the mini FF statues

000_0593.JPG

those painted minis belong to the wife

000_0589.JPG

these GLs are hers too

Superman and Wonder Woman

Thor and Hammer

Superman, Batman and Catwoman

Starro

Her Whealen Dragons

There are 3 times as many packed still, the complete Vertigo set, The X-men on the Sentinal Peices, many Bowen Busts, though none of the early ones, sold them for an ungodly $$. LOTR Swords too, All the Factory X props, Doom Mask, Caps shield, Iron Mans helmet, Thors hammer, Elektra Sias, Nick Fury's Gun. We quit when Factory X was sold.

As for balance, well it's hard to do when you both like the same things, and own the store!

I got away form comics after the crash in the 90's, I now collect Statues.

Here are some pics, and some more links for the bandwidth challenged

There are 3 times as many packed still, the complete Vertigo set, The X-men on the Sentinal Peices, many Bowen Busts, though none of the early ones, sold them for an ungodly $$. LOTR Swords too, All the Factory X props, Doom Mask, Caps shield, Iron Mans helmet, Thors hammer, Elektra Sias, Nick Fury's Gun. We quit when Factory X was sold. As for balance, well it's hard to do when you both like the same things, and own the store!

Nice. I am just starting out my X-men collection:

x-men_statues.jpg

Edited by Steve_HOCP

Great stautes Steve. I collect statues as well and have all the ones in your pic. If you are just doing X-Men, check out the Nightcrawler through Marvel Collector's Club. They also have a Psylocke. Also there is the X-Men/Sentinel series where every X-Men is posed on a piece of destroyed Sentinel. That series has Wolverine, Rogue, Gambit and Magneto. Lastly, there is also a Pslocke vs Danger room piece. thumbsup2.gif

I've got way too many collections going on.

Comics - off and on since around 83.

I also collect / build model kits (not cars or planes, the cool stuff like monsters, figures, and dinosaurs) http://tylisaari.com/models/aurora.htm

Conan stuff - which also happens to fit nicely with the comics.

Iron Maiden stuff, including over 500 live bootlegs so far.

Still have an old coin collection from like 20 years ago that hasn't been touched since then. Figure I will just leave it for my kids when I die.

Guess I'm just a pack-rat.

Great stautes Steve. I collect statues as well and have all the ones in your pic. If you are just doing X-Men, check out the Nightcrawler through Marvel Collector's Club. They also have a Psylocke. Also there is the X-Men/Sentinel series where every X-Men is posed on a piece of destroyed Sentinel. That series has Wolverine, Rogue, Gambit and Magneto. Lastly, there is also a Pslocke vs Danger room piece. thumbsup2.gif

Holy hell, thanks bro! How tall (in inches) is that Nightcrawler? I'll have to hunt one of these up on eBay. Thanks again.

Man, NICE statues!! Thanks for sharing! I always gawk at the ones in my LCS and know I'd never have enough money to get them all (or have a place to PUT them all if I DID get them).

Thanks bro. You'd be surprised...you get one....then another....then another....next thing you know you are building shelves to put them on. thumbsup2.gif