• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Other than comics, what do you collect?
5 5

My Other Hobby  

5 members have voted

1. 1. My Other Hobby

440 posts in this topic

I'm Mr. OCD at work. I really collect board games, and I'm pushing towards 1,000. Primarily War games, but I've got Sure Shot Hockey and other parlor or action games. I also collect Sports Memorabilia and cards, best is a Dom Perignon Bottle from 1997 when the Marlins won their first title. I also collect Foo Dogs, but don't get into the antique ones. Throw in video game systems, comic books, and playboys. I always come home with something when I go to the flea markets. insane.gif

Your hockey cards sound cool. Any chance you've got Bernie Parent, Bobby Clark, Rick MacLeish, Dave Schultz or other members of the Broad Street Bullies from '73-'75?

Besides comics, I collect Rock posters from the late '60s and early '70s. The artwork often is fantastic, and some of the shared bills are amazing (can you imagine the Grateful Dead and Miles Davis on the same night, for 3 bucks?). As with comics, I've got my favorite artists that are the focus of my collecting. Still have my coin and stamp collections from my distant youth - guess I was practically born to collect.

["Believing is seeing"

I collect Bazooka Joe gum comics and was thrilled yesterday to find one I needed! That leaves 7 more to go.

Speaking of underground comics, do you have Gimmeabreak Comix? (see attachment)

401171-comix1.jpg.6236a395992cb76422a6d12768b61b4d.jpg

Edited by ghoulaid

Your hockey cards sound cool. Any chance you've got Bernie Parent, Bobby Clark, Rick MacLeish, Dave Schultz or other members of the Broad Street Bullies from '73-'75?

thumbsup2.gif

The poster collecting sounds really cool! Do you keep them rolled, or do you hang 'em up? Who are your favourite artists? I used to have an awesome Soundgarden curtain/flag (covered an entire wall) from their Badmotorfinger album. It got ripped off though when my place got broken into.

As for BSB cards, I have a binder with plastic sheets containing traders (multiples) that I take to shows, etc. The rest of the cards are in a box, and are rarely opened, unless I'm adding missing cards to the sets. I should say that one of my all-time favourite goalie cards is this photo used on late 60's OPC hockey card featuring Bernie Parent. Its totally awesome! Unfrorunately, those are tucked away, and not really a premium card that I'd have seperated and in hard casing.

From the binder, I found a few of the 70's Broad Street Bullies that you might appreciate, and even though Linseman wasn't a member of the Broad Street Bullies, he was one of those guys you hated playing against, but would love on your team:

parent.jpgmacleish.jpg

barber.jpgclarke.jpgclarke2.jpglinseman.jpg

I collect wrestling tapes. I've got a few hundred. Nothing close to the size of the collections of some guys I trade with, but it's something I enjoy (none of the current junk on TV; gimme old school!).

I also collect concert bootlegs on CD-R. I LOVE being able to listen to concerts of my favorite bands - especially ones who don't seem to be in any hurry to release another CD before I have grandkids (*cough* Van Halen *cough*).

You guys that collect/trade MMA tapes, drop me a line. I've got a guy who collects/trades wrestling tapes who also collects/trades MMA stuff. It may be a new contact for you guys.

Hey ghoulaid. That's a cool UG!! thumbsup2.gif

Do you know if that's a first print? One way to find out is to check on page 2 to see if it makes any mention of Rhuta Comix #0 as being Election Day Funnies, and Rhuta Comix #1 as being Mother Country Comix (also 0.05 cents).

Also isn't that a tabloid (ie. more like a newspaper?). I recall having one in my collection, but I'm not sure. If your interested in selling it, LMK -- I just might be interested.

I collect Bazooka Joe gum comics and was thrilled yesterday to find one I needed! That leaves 7 more to go.

Ghoul: that sounds like a massive undertaking....didn't they make thousands of those over the years? In order to have a 'complete set,' I assume you have to have one of each unique 'comic' dating back to the '50s or whenever?

Can you scan a sampling of 'em and post 'em here, just for kicks? I'd love to see the first one...

They always seem to sell when listed on eBay...what are the most valuable ones worth?

I collect wine in addition to comics. I have about 350 bottles at present. My focus tends to be on California and Washington cabs and Bordeaux-style blends from those regions, but I also dabble a bit in wines from Bordeaux, northern and southern Rhone, and Australian Shiraz. California had a phenomenal string of great vintages in the 1990s (with the uneven quality of the 1998 vintage being the only exception during the decade), and the 2001 cabernet sauvignon vintage (which is the current release for most of the major wineries) is also a classic. Washington has had an unbroken streak of amazing vintages going back to 1996, when they had a severe frost that destroyed much of the vineyard plantings. My favorite producer is a little-known winery in Washington called Quilceda Creek that produces amazing cabernet sauvignon and some merlot. In California, I tend to like most of the major cabernet producers, although in the last few years I have become a big fan of the Spring Mountain District, with wineries such as Pride Mountain Vineyards, Barnett, Paloma, and Sherwin being high on my list.

Edited by fantasyfootballbono

Ghoul: that sounds like a massive undertaking....didn't they make thousands of those over the years? In order to have a 'complete set,' I assume you have to have one of each unique 'comic' dating back to the '50s or whenever?

Can you scan a sampling of 'em and post 'em here, just for kicks? I'd love to see the first one...

They always seem to sell when listed on eBay...what are the most valuable ones worth?

It is a massive undertaking as you are right - there are thousands! What got me started collecting them in the first place was the utter lack of information available. I decided to do something about that and have been collecting them for the past 4 years. They started in 1954 and what I consider a "complete set" is one each of the basic series. I'm not counting color variations or oddball sizes at this time. The older ones usually do sell on ebay because I don't pass them up. I know a couple other people collecting too and between us, we usually get them. The oldest are only worth a couple bucks a piece at this time. Nice affordable hobby. smile.gif

A new scanner just walked in the door so after I hook it up - I may be able to show some. Thanks for asking!

Most interesting - I eagerly await some scans!

I collect Big Little Books (or rather, have a collection of 40 or so from many years ago; don't actively obtain more of them) as well as a few Platinum Age books (ditto). I also have a modest coin collection from childhood days. But comics are the primary focus for me.

I collect wine in addition to comics. I have about 350 bottles at present. My focus tends to be on California and Washington cabs and Bordeaux-style blends from those regions, but I also dabble a bit in wines from Bordeaux, northern and southern Rhone, and Australian Shiraz. California had a phenomenal string of great vintages in the 1990s (with the uneven quality of the 1998 vintage being the only exception during the decade), and the 2001 cabernet sauvignon vintage (which is the current release for most of the major wineries) is also a classic. Washington has had an unbroken streak of amazing vintages going back to 1996, when they had a severe frost that destroyed much of the vineyard plantings. My favorite producer is a little-known winery in Washington called Quilceda Creek that produces amazing cabernet sauvignon and some merlot. In California, I tend to like most of the major cabernet producers, although in the last few years I have become a big fan of the Spring Mountain District, with wineries such as Pride Mountain Vineyards, Barnett, Paloma, and Sherwin being high on my list.

I don't really think of myself as a "collector", but I have a decent cellar. At present time it's mostly Bordeaux but I've got representation from all over- the Rhone (Chateaufeuf du Pape and Cote Rotie), German Rieslings, Italians (Barbaresco, Barolo,) Aussie Shiraz, etc.

I also collect first edition books, movie posters, and art (comic and otherwise.)

i collect the bowen mini busts and some of the full size statues. I recently picked up the STORM mini bust (one of the earlier bowen busts). I also have the BATMAN jim lee full size statue (thanks to house) and a few others....I occasionally look for sports cards but sold the majority of my collection a few years ago but still have my Michael Jordan rookie. cloud9.gif

I guess I consider anyone who keeps more wine than he can drink in a year to be a collector, whether he wants to be or not. Perhaps "accumulator" could be another term for it. 27_laughing.gif

Anyway, I have been having a lot of fun trying the stuff coming out of Germany, especially because of the last two great vintages. I haven't paid much attention to the Italians except when a friend brings them over, because I've been trying to keep a bit of a focus to my buying.

If you like Bordeaux, then you owe it to yourself to get some Quilceda Creek. Or at the very least, get on their mailing list, which you can sign up for at www.quilcedacreek.com. Pierre Rovani (who reviews Washington wines for Robert Parker's Wine Advocate) suggested a little over a year ago that Quilceda Creek might be the best producer of cabernet sauvignon in the world over the last decade. Whether you ultimately agree with him or not, you won't be sorry you got some.

I don't really think of myself as a "collector", but I have a decent cellar. At present time it's mostly Bordeaux but I've got representation from all over- the Rhone (Chateaufeuf du Pape and Cote Rotie), German Rieslings, Italians (Barbaresco, Barolo,) Aussie Shiraz, etc.

I also collect first edition books, movie posters, and art (comic and otherwise.)

AMAZING!! Have you ever given any thought to owning your own winery/vineyard someday?

I collect 1:43 scale Formula 1 and street car models.

Hey mitol

Do you have any vintage street car models? Any from the muscle-car era! I've got a Bugato Shelby AC Cobra (my dream machine), but I've thought about getting more. My cousin collects the F1 die-cast models, and I have to admit, they make for spectacular showpieces. The detailing on them is remarkable.