• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,349 posts in this topic

Here's a departure from the last fantastic group shots.

My budding Straight Arrow run which Ciorac helped expand. Yes, coverless are welcome in that run.

I like "unsung" artists like Fred Meagher. Meagher produced the entire run of Straight Arrow stories from issue # 1 to 55 (Powell did the Red Hawk stories), that's 3 stories per issue for a fairly long run and the quality never (or barely) diminished. Meagher maintained his attention to details.

Other runs like this are John Severin on American Eagle in Prize Western Comics, Fred Ray on Tomahawk, of course Barks on the Ducks, Jack Cole on Plas, Crandall / Cuidera on Blackhawk where the artists stayed with the character for a solid long run.

My call here is: who am I missing from that era?

Anyway, I think BB will appreciate this one as he is another Straight Arrow / Steve Adams fan :thumbsup: [Note: I have two copies of the March 1952 issues but couldn't find either to put in the shot doh! ]

I remember seeing some Straight Arrow issues in the collection that Bill was selling but forgot to make an offer on them. Oh well, I think you have a few more than I. I still haven't finished the collection but I have managed to pick up a bunch of Great Western and Best of the West issues to go with bunch. The ME Frazetta covers are my favorites but Ayers made some great covers too. Meagher art was always good and Powell was pretty good on the backup strip.

Edited by BB-Gun

Here's a departure from the last fantastic group shots.

My budding Straight Arrow run which Ciorac helped expand. Yes, coverless are welcome in that run.

I like "unsung" artists like Fred Meagher. Meagher produced the entire run of Straight Arrow stories from issue # 1 to 55 (Powell did the Red Hawk stories), that's 3 stories per issue for a fairly long run and the quality never (or barely) diminished. Meagher maintained his attention to details.

Other runs like this are John Severin on American Eagle in Prize Western Comics, Fred Ray on Tomahawk, of course Barks on the Ducks, Jack Cole on Plas, Crandall / Cuidera on Blackhawk where the artists stayed with the character for a solid long run.

My call here is: who am I missing from that era?

What about Fred Harman on Red Ryder?

Here's my favorite 50's Golden age group shot. And yes I know one of them is PGX slab but who cares its still Awesome Hope everyone likes them

Nice. The PGX slab doesn't hurt the niceness unless you break it out and the grade is wrong.

5648170608_99d2029fe2_z.jpg

Thanks to Ze-man for sending me some covers to play with. Love the Science cover.

bb

And I am bumping this thank you because I forgot to notify Ze-man that the package had arrived.

bb

Here's my favorite 50's Golden age group shot. And yes I know one of them is PGX slab but who cares its still Awesome Hope everyone likes them :wishluck:

IMG_0425.jpg

Always LOVED that Atomic War #1!!! Nice one!

Man, I've been wanting to post this group shot for a LONG time. The 16 just arrived and I am... well, :banana:

Holy jealousy. As you know I've been trying to nab those runs for years, and am getting nowhere. Well done, Dan!! :applause:

One less bidder at least... hmlol

Man, I've been wanting to post this group shot for a LONG time. The 16 just arrived and I am... well, :banana:

Congrats!!! Difficult little books to collect...Love it....Great group shot.... :applause: