• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your Marvel Bronze Age In-House Ads!

618 posts in this topic

DC fanboys may like to laugh at the Marvel Value Stamp fiasco, but I think this bizarre idea really takes the cake. Sure, we sliced up a letter's page to snag a snazzy superhero pic (and with a promise of lucrative prizes to come), but DC wanted its readers to hack off the covers of ("at least" tongue.gif) TWENTY-FIVE of its Bicentennial comic books for a... belt buckle?

Ahhh-hahahahahahahahahahaha 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifforeheadslap.gif

1562806-dc_free_buckle.jpg

1562806-dc_free_buckle.jpg.8d0c8122b17831404e97671e1d8a3df0.jpg

I especially liked the part about sending in "at least" 25 covers.

"Gee" thinks Little Greggy, "cutting up these comics is so much fun, why stop at 25? I'm going to hack up as many as I can. Yippee!!"

Somebody appreciated this last post...it's up to a 2 rating now.

Sure, but just wait til the HFR's (high-functioning retards) find out. foreheadslap.gif

I usually don't take these ratings seriously, but a 1 is pretty bad. I've got 140+ new ads I've compiled, some of them kickass, but when I log on and see that, I get the feeling that I should just delete them and move on.

Obviously the people rating the thread just don't like you. (Yeah, I'm sure you're shocked poke2.gif) This is a great thread! The only fault I can find is that you made me want Adventure Comics 390. frustrated.gif

I agree this is a great thread regardless of what people have rated it (hey, I gave it 5 stars). Joe's pulled out some great ads, as have others. thumbsup2.gif

Wish I could find some of the art to these old ads. Granted some of it would be stats but it's still cool.

Somebody appreciated this last post...it's up to a 2 rating now.

Sure, but just wait til the HFR's (high-functioning retards) find out. foreheadslap.gif

I usually don't take these ratings seriously, but a 1 is pretty bad. I've got 140+ new ads I've compiled, some of them kickass, but when I log on and see that, I get the feeling that I should just delete them and move on.

Obviously the people rating the thread just don't like you. (Yeah, I'm sure you're shocked poke2.gif) This is a great thread! The only fault I can find is that you made me want Adventure Comics 390. frustrated.gif

DC fanboys may like to laugh at the Marvel Value Stamp fiasco, but I think this bizarre idea really takes the cake. Sure, we sliced up a letter's page to snag a snazzy superhero pic (and with a promise of lucrative prizes to come), but DC wanted its readers to hack off the covers of ("at least" tongue.gif) TWENTY-FIVE of its Bicentennial comic books for a... belt buckle?

Ahhh-hahahahahahahahahahaha 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifforeheadslap.gif

Very cool to see that ad! Really brings back the memories of chasing all of those comics down at the newstands. Somehow I managed to find all of them! cloud9.gif

It's a miracle that I didn't go through with chopping that banner off of every issue to get that buckle! Would have put quite a hole in my collection. 893whatthe.gifacclaim.gif

I've seen a number of Marvel comics over the years that are missing their MVS, but I don't think I've ever seen one of these DC issues that was chopped. Any confirmed sightings out there?

Very cool to see that ad! Really brings back the memories of chasing all of those comics down at the newstands. Somehow I managed to find all of them! cloud9.gif

It's a miracle that I didn't go through with chopping that banner off of every issue to get that buckle! Would have put quite a hole in my collection. 893whatthe.gifacclaim.gif

I've seen a number of Marvel comics over the years that are missing their MVS, but I don't think I've ever seen one of these DC issues that was chopped. Any confirmed sightings out there?

Absolutely. Twice I've bought collections with a number of books missing the banner--kind of got the feeling some poor kid chopped them off the 1st 2 or 3 books they had with it, then didn't buy the rest to submit.

I've also seen them in stores, sans banner. And my best friend and fellow collector growing up had a few.

Before officially taking my leave of you reprobates on Monday, I thought I'd clean out my in-house ad directory.

Since greggy slid me $50 in Canadian Tire money, here's the first in a long list of DC Silver Age gems:

1593115-dc_sa_3.jpg

1593115-dc_sa_3.jpg.bf7e4ab37097180093826feee2992e15.jpg