• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

img564.jpg

I have a beater copy of this and had to pull it out again and look past the wrinkles. I hadn't truly realised what great cover it had.

I have always liked Roussos cover inks (and Chic Stone, too) on early Marvel Age Kirby. On the interior art, Roussos put a rough-hewn, chiseled look on Kirby's pencils. I tend to suspect that Kirby worked a bit faster and more cartoony on this early book at a time when he was doing almost all Marvel's pencils. Some of the expressions on Fury's face are hilarious. I wish I had a scanner as page 9 and 11, in particular, illustrate the wit that can be found in a gifted artist's work.

Thanks for the great scan.

Dennis

img564.jpg

I have a beater copy of this and had to pull it out again and look past the wrinkles. I hadn't truly realised what great cover it had.

I have always liked Roussos cover inks (and Chic Stone, too) on early Marvel Age Kirby. On the interior art, Roussos put a rough-hewn, chiseled look on Kirby's pencils. I tend to suspect that Kirby worked a bit faster and more cartoony on this early book at a time when he was doing almost all Marvel's pencils. Some of the expressions on Fury's face are hilarious. I wish I had a scanner as page 9 and 11, in particular, illustrate the wit that can be found in a gifted artist's work.

Thanks for the great scan.

Dennis

Wahooooooo!!!!!! acclaim.gif This is a great cover, indeed!

Andy

img490.jpg

Need this one, too! Dammit, nice books there!!!!

Thank you very much for posting!

893applaud-thumb.gif

Andy

Lots of fun books K-7! thumbsup2.gif

Thanks! I have only been collecting War books for about the last 2 years, and I haven't bought much of anything in 2006. I posted most everything that I have except for this one, so here it is...

Thank you everyone for the feedback on the books! thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

img569-1.jpg

Thanks! I have only been collecting War books for about the last 2 years, and I haven't bought much of anything in 2006. I posted most everything that I have except for this one, so here it is...

Thank you everyone for the feedback on the books! thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

img569-1.jpg

Holy Spoon!!! I...um...uhhh....whoa....it's just that....holy...ummmm....yeah, like that guy said!

Manomanomanomanoman! Nice book, buddy!!

Best friends still? flowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gif

Andy

outstanding to see this thread coming to life! I always wondered why the Bronze War thread was so active but this one rarely stayed on the first page for more than a few days...keep showing those SA beauts guys cloud9.gif

I'd say you're off to one helluva start. 893applaud-thumb.gif
Thanks guys! Im on the hunt for more of them, perhaps a 9.0 #13 893scratchchin-thumb.gif.

Anyway, the 29 is a lost Green River book. It has been confirmed with both Brad and Shin, so now ive got to get a hold of Haspel and see what needs to be done.

If you look at the yellow above "N" in Armageddon, you will see the tell tale GR date stamp.