• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your suggestions for a "forum guidelines" post to be stickied at the top.

397 posts in this topic

That's it for me on this one...I didn't like the way the forum was divided up in the 1st place and since Arch solicited feedback on how to improve it, there's mine. thumbsup2.gif

There's the rub . . . sour grapes. tongue.gif

Well -- let's say the rules were changed and dealers were allowed on here to post special deals that were only available to forumites -- is that or should that really be a big deal? Especially if they are contributors on the forum regularly anyway?

Well -- let's say the rules were changed and dealers were allowed on here to post special deals that were only available to forumites -- is that or should that really be a big deal? Especially if they are contributors on the forum regularly anyway?

It is a big deal. "Special deals" generally are not. The feeding frenzy I've seen over the past two weekends hardly merited participation. Dealers really only have one purpose: to move inventory quickly to line their pockets. It is wrong to take advantage of the good will established by others here in this marketplace. To undo the two forums would be an injustice to this community.

As to contributions by dealers on the forum, I must have missed those eloquent posts. confused-smiley-013.gif

It is a big deal. "Special deals" generally are not. The feeding frenzy I've seen over the past two weekends hardly merited participation. Dealers really only have one purpose: to move inventory quickly to line their pockets. It is wrong to take advantage of the good will established by others here in this marketplace. To undo the two forums would be an injustice to this community.

As to contributions by dealers on the forum, I must have missed those eloquent posts. confused-smiley-013.gif

You don't think bob storms and Brent Moeshlin have been active contributors? I do. And Storms has never offered anything directly to forumites in the forum members only section.

I guess what I don't understand is the "big deal". If they come on and unload inventory at a cheap price to forumites only, and the forumites want to buy it, how are they taking advantage of the "good will" established?

Plus, it seems like most forumites are enjoying the sales, so who is experiencing the injustice.

Well seeing over 30 different board members bought stuff during those "feeding frenzy" weekends and only a handful are complaining why not put it to a vote ?

Seems to me the only reason that the distinction dealer/selling hobbyist was ever made was out of fear the boards would be invaded by the likes of Chuck and Metro "dumping" their entire website on the boards...which hasn't materialised

Seems to me a new, better distinction should now be made :

* "direct sales" to board members, books posted in a thread with BIN prices or highest offer, if you take it, it's yours, no fear of the same book being offered somewhere else at the same time. Dealers, hobbyist, little old ladies selling a stash found next to a lump of butter in the attic..all welcome

and

* "Indirect sales" books being offered on eBay, on a website etc...

* "direct sales" to board members, books posted in a thread with BIN prices or highest offer, if you take it, it's yours, no fear of the same book being offered somewhere else at the same time. Dealers, hobbyist, little old ladies selling a stash found next to a lump of butter in the attic..all welcome

and

Great idea, and I second the motion. thumbsup2.gif

and

Great idea, and I second the motion. thumbsup2.gif

Since when did this forum run by Roberts' Rules of Order poke2.gif

And yeah, I got yer "direct sales" right heeere . . . 27_laughing.gif

You don't think bob storms and Brent Moeshlin have been active contributors? I do. And Storms has never offered anything directly to forumites in the forum members only section.

I guess what I don't understand is the "big deal". If they come on and unload inventory at a cheap price to forumites only, and the forumites want to buy it, how are they taking advantage of the "good will" established?

Plus, it seems like most forumites are enjoying the sales, so who is experiencing the injustice.

Brian,

You ask me to respond to your hypothetical. I do, and I tell you why. You invert what I say into another question, instead of listening. Please leave the lawering behind . . . if you can poke2.gif

In response, Brent was dumping inventory. Period. The good will on this forum-only marketplace has been established by the offerings of forum members since its inception. To use this arena for dumping is taking advantage of the existing good will established by and among the members.

You haven't seen Bob here have you? Why? Because he's a straight-up guy who knows he's a comic book dealer. To post here would be to break the rules as they exist now, and he respects that.

I've spoken to Brebt about this - it's not a witch hunt like Dr. B thinks. Brent says he'll abide by whatever Arch says, but if Arch says nothing, Brent will continue with his weekend assails.

Well seeing over 30 different board members bought stuff during those "feeding frenzy" weekends and only a handful are complaining why not put it to a vote ?

Seems to me the only reason that the distinction dealer/selling hobbyist was ever made was out of fear the boards would be invaded by the likes of Chuck and Metro "dumping" their entire website on the boards...which hasn't materialised

and

I kind of like this my Belgian Brother from another Mother. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Brian,

You ask me to respond to your hypothetical. I do, and I tell you why. You invert what I say into another question, instead of listening. Please leave the lawering behind . . . if you can poke2.gif

In response, Brent was dumping inventory. Period. The good will on this forum-only marketplace has been established by the offerings of forum members since its inception. To use this arena for dumping is taking advantage of the existing good will established by and among the members.

You haven't seen Bob here have you? Why? Because he's a straight-up guy who knows he's a comic book dealer. To post here would be to break the rules as they exist now, and he respects that.

I've spoken to Brebt about this - it's not a witch hunt like Dr. B thinks. Brent says he'll abide by whatever Arch says, but if Arch says nothing, Brent will continue with his weekend assails.

Ah, it's not lawyering and that might be the weakest cop out to answering a question I ever heard considering you're not explaining yourself terribly well beyond beating a repetitive drum of the undefined term "good will of the boards". I am listening to what you are saying. There are more questions that your answer raises.

How is dumping inventory taking advantage of good will -- that is the point I am not clear on. If so many members are happy with it, and enjoy Brent's inventory, then how does this infringe upon the good will?

Or -- how is it any different than when I or Nikos or anyone else sells a large number of books all at the same time -- now generally we are raising funds for another purchase I will grant you -- but you are not making it clear who is so concerned about the "good will" of the boards.

Frankly, I think the majority of people would be disappointed if Brent were to leave, as you are the only person who I have seen make a public statement about Brent in particular (maybe JC).

Under the letter of the rules as originally set up, I actually think you are correct. But the "good will" of the boards means to me that registered members offer deals exclusively other members of our community. If Brent, a member of the community, wants to dump inventory here, and is not just "spamming the boards" and people are actively reading the thread and chomping at the bit to get his books, I think he is certainly acting within the spirit of what the setup was supposed to be.

Brian,

Ah, it's not lawyering and that might be the weakest cop out to answering a question I ever heard considering you're not explaining yourself terribly well beyond beating a repetitive drum of the undefined term "good will of the boards". I am listening to what you are saying. There are more questions that your answer raises.

How is dumping inventory taking advantage of good will -- that is the point I am not clear on. If so many members are happy with it, and enjoy Brent's inventory, then how does this infringe upon the good will?

Or -- how is it any different than when I or Nikos or anyone else sells a large number of books all at the same time -- now generally we are raising funds for another purchase I will grant you -- but you are not making it clear who is so concerned about the "good will" of the boards.

Frankly, I think the majority of people would be disappointed if Brent were to leave, as you are the only person who I have seen make a public statement about Brent in particular (maybe JC).

Under the letter of the rules as originally set up, I actually think you are correct. But the "good will" of the boards means to me that registered members offer deals exclusively other members of our community. If Brent, a member of the community, wants to dump inventory here, and is not just "spamming the boards" and people are actively reading the thread and chomping at the bit to get his books, I think he is certainly acting within the spirit of what the setup was supposed to be.

This is silly, have it your way. wink.gif

I don't think it's a witch hunt at all. confused-smiley-013.gif

However, it is obvious that the rules as written are not practically enforcable, or Arch would not have solicited feedback from forum members regarding "modifying board rules over time to fit the desires of the users." The users are speaking...and from what I'm reading, Chrom's suggestion appears both reasonable and viable, and I would like to see that change made. thumbsup2.gif

Thoughts?

There is no easily definable line between "dealers or retailers" and "board members", and I never agreed with that distinction in separating the original marketplace forum in the first place (although I like the idea of a separate forum for ebay SPAM).

Separate "For Sale", "Ebay", and "WTB" forums would be a much better idea. thumbsup2.gif

I agree with Mike's statements.

Thoughts?

There is no easily definable line between "dealers or retailers" and "board members", and I never agreed with that distinction in separating the original marketplace forum in the first place (although I like the idea of a separate forum for ebay SPAM).

Separate "For Sale", "Ebay", and "WTB" forums would be a much better idea. thumbsup2.gif

I also agree with this idea sounds very reasonable thumbsup2.gif

I don't think it's a witch hunt at all. confused-smiley-013.gif

However, it is obvious that the rules as written are not practically enforcable, or Arch would not have solicited feedback from forum members regarding "modifying board rules over time to fit the desires of the users." The users are speaking...and from what I'm reading, Chrom's suggestion appears both reasonable and viable, and I would like to see that change made. thumbsup2.gif

Geesh, I must have misinterpreted this:

lynch.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

Chrom's suggestion was no more than a restatement of yours (and we always vote for what we want) -- don't characterize it as a plurality. wink.gif

Thoughts?

"Let them eat cake . . . " grin.gif

Thoughts?

"Let them eat cake . . . " grin.gif

I love cake. Is it Chocolate? angel.gif Maybe a little scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side? cloud9.gif