• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,460 posts in this topic

893applaud-thumb.gif

As I mentioned before, Jamie Newbold at SoCalComics.com was the guy who bought a big chunk of my ASMs in the summer of 2005 when I was selling my collection to help fund my new law firm. I sat down with his assistant and graded all of the raw books in the deal side-by-side and was very impressed with his grading ability. I didn't get a chance to look over much of their own stock because I wasn't buying, but they clearly knew what they were doing when they were grading my books. I am glad it worked out for you.

Here's a question that'll label me as a newb SA ASM collector, but what would be a good price for a FR/GD copy of ASM #20 (1st Scorpion)? Everything is in tact, but there is some water damage, and the cover has had some significant sun fading. I'm looking to get this as a reader copy until I can pick up a nicer grade, but would it just be better to wait?

Thoughts?

Here's a question that'll label me as a newb SA ASM collector, but what would be a good price for a FR/GD copy of ASM #20 (1st Scorpion)? Everything is in tact, but there is some water damage, and the cover has had some significant sun fading. I'm looking to get this as a reader copy until I can pick up a nicer grade, but would it just be better to wait?

Thoughts?

It should cost you around $20-50 on ebay in FR 1.0 to GD 2.0. You should be able to resell it for around what you paid for it, so if you're just looking for a filler copy as a reader until you find a nicer copy in the grade you want, buying a complete, readable FR/GD copy is the way to go.

Proud to say the third of my grails arrived today cloud9.gif

When I finished my ASM a few months ago, a lot of people asked me if I was going to go for the mothership. I had planned to start looking for a nice one around Winter 2007 and find one hopefully around Xmas...

Well it turned out differently...this one hadn't been put up for sale when I saw it, but it was just the book I was looking for...seller and I agreed in under 10 minutes and it was just delivered cloud9.gif

AF15.jpg

And now I'm going to get it out of the fortress and read it thumbsup2.gif

Proud to say the third of my grails arrived today cloud9.gif

When I finished my ASM a few months ago, a lot of people asked me if I was going to go for the mothership. I had planned to start looking for a nice one around Winter 2007 and find one hopefully around Xmas...

Well it turned out differently...this one hadn't been put up for sale when I saw it, but it was just the book I was looking for...seller and I agreed in under 10 minutes and it was just delivered cloud9.gif

AF15.jpg

And now I'm going to get it out of the fortress and read it thumbsup2.gif

893whatthe.gif you just killed me insane.gif

congrats chromium 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif , THIS IS THE GRAIL

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Not nearly as cool as an AF15, but I thought it was worth sharing a couple of recents pickups from comicdey yay.gif:

ASM14.jpg

ASM97.jpg

Awesome, John! You're well on your way with that SA Spidey run! 893applaud-thumb.gif

(Just be glad you got any books at all from that "comicdey" seller. I hear bad things about that guy.) gossip.gif

Awesome, John! You're well on your way with that SA Spidey run! 893applaud-thumb.gif

(Just be glad you got any books at all from that "comicdey" seller. I hear bad things about that guy.) gossip.gif

Now that you've sold your ASM 300 in 9.8, are you going to buy your ASM 1?

Now that you've sold your ASM 300 in 9.8, are you going to buy your ASM 1?

One thing at a time...let me get paid first. grin.gif

But it's certainly something to think about..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ouch...where's the poking gremlin when you need it.. makepoint.gif27_laughing.gif

I can't imagine how cool that'd be to have a copy of AF 15. Unreal. And how nice would that be to add a JR signed comic to the collection? Congrat's to both of you!

Due to some... "unforseen" circumstances, some recent acquisutions have been temporarily been put on hold, but hopefully I'll be able to show a few off sometime soon too.

Glad to have my computer working again, here's my latest Spidey books. If I had to quit collecting today, I'd be a happy guy. I adjusted the darkness and contrast on the pic to cut down on the glare so that "stain" looking thing on the AF is just wierd bag shadow and I'm glad! That looks kinda nasty!

af15.jpg

Edited by Mo Fun

I'm hoping to be able to get a copy of 31- besides it being the 1st appearances of Harry and Gwen, I've always thought it had a really cool looking cover. Nice copy of AF 15 too!

Yeah, 31 sure stands out, gotta love that "pop art" thang. grin.gif Good luck on snagging a copy! thumbsup2.gif

BTW, I had heard that ASM 1 was originally AF 16 (actually on the printing press), is there a picture of that cover anywhere?

Edited by Mo Fun

BTW, I had heard that ASM 1 was originally AF 16 (actually on the printing press), is there a picture of that cover anywhere?

There is a good article in the Comic Book Marketplace about this. From this article, it sounded more like a theory, with some very well thought out arguments. Summary, one of the two stories from ASM 1, and two or three back up stories from some of the other titles of the day were to be in AF 16.

If anyone is interested, I can dig up the article and get a few more facts from it.