• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,453 posts in this topic

ASM's are pretty common as are ASM collectors. Most issues have been discussed ad naseum.

But here's a question for you. Who drew better background mechanical devices Jack Kirby or Steve Ditko? I always thought that was an amazing aspect of their artwork.

Depends what you mean by "background mechanical devices' but Kirby machines surrounded by the strategically placed "crackle" are among the sweetest things from the Silver Age cloud9.gif

And talking about sweet things...

The hunt is coming to a close, here are some of my recent ASM purchases

asm2small.jpg

asm13small.jpg

Completing the series is now just two issues away ...#14 & #20 popcorn.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif two issues and...... Champagne !! grin.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Congrats thumbsup2.gif

I just finished my ASM run (from #1 to the current issue) and I will probably upgrade a few of the books that I would like in a higher grade.

I just finished my ASM run (from #1 to the current issue) and I will probably upgrade a few of the books that I would like in a higher grade.

Big congrats! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I know what you mean. Even though I'm just two books away from calling my silver ASM run done...I'm constantly tempted by upgrades...so it's never really "done"... tongue.gif

ASM's are pretty common as are ASM collectors. Most issues have been discussed ad naseum.

But here's a question for you. Who drew better background mechanical devices Jack Kirby or Steve Ditko? I always thought that was an amazing aspect of their artwork.

Depends what you mean by "background mechanical devices' but Kirby machines surrounded by the strategically placed "crackle" are among the sweetest things from the Silver Age cloud9.gif

asm2small.jpg

asm13small.jpg

thumbsup2.gif

Congrats thumbsup2.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

I'm only collecting from #1 to #500....I gave up around #490, but decided to go up to #500, because it's such a nice round number tongue.gif

If all goes well, I should complete the series by the end of the month 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

asm2small.jpg

asm13small.jpg

thumbsup2.gif

Congrats thumbsup2.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

I'm only collecting from #1 to #500....I gave up around #490, but decided to go up to #500, because it's such a nice round number tongue.gif

If all goes well, I should complete the series by the end of the month 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Where did you pick-up your single digit books (e.g. ebay, board, LCS)? Do you have an AF15 yet? I have 14 to go including 1-10 and AF15. Best of luck!

Big congrats! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I know what you mean. Even though I'm just two books away from calling my silver ASM run done...I'm constantly tempted by upgrades...so it's never really "done"... tongue.gif

Thanks. Good luck on your collection.

Bought this off ebay and cracked it out and sold it to herald2galactus who then traded me for a JIM 85 who then returned the JIM 85 for something else and some cash, I can't remember. So during his troubles, it actually worked out, I just hope he gets it back together. Here's the issue 2 cracked out a second time. It is a Qualified 6.0 since the 1 page ad is married. No reason to keep it encased.

asm2.jpg

asm2bc.jpg

Where did you pick-up your single digit books (e.g. ebay, board, LCS)? Do you have an AF15 yet? I have 14 to go including 1-10 and AF15. Best of luck!

#1 I bought from Qualitycomix, he had a nice looking 3.0 on Ebay which didn't meet reserve do I made him an offer (slabbed)

#2 also from an Ebay seller (slabbed)

#3 & #4 raw from board seller Comicdey (raw)

#5 - #10 also from board members, but I didn't keep track frown.gif (raw)

I try to avoid eBay as much as possible,for early Silver slabs I still take the plunge, the rest is board members only

Come to think of it, at least 450 out of the 500 books were bought unseen and mailed to me (well, scans only)

Don't have an AF 15 yet, still have to decide if I'll buy one this year or complete the JIM set instead... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Best of luck in getting the rest of the series, most single digit books are easy to find at a decent price in the VG- to FINE range

I'll prolly try and pick up a 2.0 - 3.0 AF15

bumpit.gif

I just received this from the boards (one and only) point five. Scan doesn't do the book justice. Apart from the heavy spine wear, it present much better than many VG+ books I own. Great gloss and decent page quality.

asm111.jpg

Time to go for the biggies!!!!! yay.gif

bumpit.gif

I just received this from the boards (one and only) point five. Scan doesn't do the book justice. Apart from the heavy spine wear, it present much better than many VG+ books I own. Great gloss and decent page quality.

asm111.jpg

Time to go for the biggies!!!!! yay.gif

nice book......... thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Here's my AF 15. CGC undergraded it in my opinion...should have been a 4.5/5.0. The colors are bright and NO marvel chipping, which is ever so common on this book...

AF15-MyCopyFront.jpg

What grade did it get ?

Are those smudges to the left and right of the word "Spider-man" or just translucency ?

Nice copy thumbsup2.gif

Here's my AF 15. CGC undergraded it in my opinion...should have been a 4.5/5.0. The colors are bright and NO marvel chipping, which is ever so common on this book...

AF15-MyCopyFront.jpg

What grade did it get ?

Are those smudges to the left and right of the word "Spider-man" or just translucency ?

Nice copy thumbsup2.gif

It got a 4.0 cr/ow---can't recall if those were smudges...i'd have to check...

Thanks to qualitycomix (Brent) for this lovely ASM #41!

1695777-asm41.jpg

Just one more issue, and I'll have completed my ASM #1-64 run. (Now which one was it again? Kind of a thinnish number, as I recall...) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1695777-asm41.jpg.3b481c5d42ce610ec9cf95fe8a4a005a.jpg