• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,453 posts in this topic

ASM's are pretty common as are ASM collectors. Most issues have been discussed ad naseum.

But here's a question for you. Who drew better background mechanical devices Jack Kirby or Steve Ditko? I always thought that was an amazing aspect of their artwork.

ASM's are pretty common as are ASM collectors. Most issues have been discussed ad naseum.

But here's a question for you. Who drew better background mechanical devices Jack Kirby or Steve Ditko? I always thought that was an amazing aspect of their artwork.

Ed,

I'd talk about my Phantom Stranger collection, but I'm not sure anyone would be all that interested... 27_laughing.gif

I'm going to have to do some reasearch (look at some back issues). My gut reaction would be Kirby.

If ASM collectors are common, it means I'm in good company.

Depends what you mean by "background mechanical devices' but Kirby machines surrounded by the strategically placed "crackle" are among the sweetest things from the Silver Age cloud9.gif

And talking about sweet things...

The hunt is coming to a close, here are some of my recent ASM purchases

asm2small.jpg

asm13small.jpg

Completing the series is now just two issues away ...#14 & #20 popcorn.gif

It's funny, I say that grade doesn't matter for the ASMs in the 1-10 range, but I couldn't buy the ones offered in the marketplace. They were just yucky...

When I first got back into collecting, my goal was to collect all the Ditko Spidey issues. I was about half complete when I discovered Golden Age books, and I switched my collecting focus to GA. cloud9.gif I've since sold most of my Spideys, but I did keep a few of my favorite issues like this one:

ASM34.jpg

Nice book and love this cover. cloud9.gif

It's funny, I say that grade doesn't matter for the ASMs in the 1-10 range, but I couldn't buy the ones offered in the marketplace. They were just yucky...

I would have bought that #2 for $25 all day long.

I'm a big fan of buying ASM's with minor color touch for cheap. Also other back cover blemishes that make an otherwise VF book priced at a VG level. Here's an example.

ASM 3 with ct cost $450 edited

ASM 13 ct along spine cost $100

ASM 22 back cover stain cost $30

Spidey 22 is my least favorite Ditko and I could never justify paying $100 for a nice copy, nore did I want a VG/F with cover flaws. So this is a prime example of a keeper.

asm3.jpg

asm13.jpg

asm22.jpg

asm22bc.jpg

Edited by ft88

Spidey 22 is my least favorite Ditko and I could never justify paying $100 for a nice copy, nore did I want a VG/F with cover flaws. So this is a prime example of a keeper.

asm22.jpg

I always kinda liked #22 with the big ominous shadow of Spidey & the belt-spotlight beaming down and the deep purple/blue background. Of course the Circus O' Crime is kinda goofy - but it all works for me! btw - your ASM #3 is a beauuuuuuty! Nice! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I do like the use of the spidey signal but the perspective is all off. Where is Spidey standing if its coming from his belt. Maybe he hung it next to his camera and he is standing away from it. OK, but that shadow is really a bit much, is it even Spiderman or someone completely different. I do love the Ditko hands and the cross over legs on the chick. Compared to the surrounding issues 20 21 23 and 24 its just the weakest one. All IMO.

Thanks on the 3, it was bought off the boards a few months ago.

Ed

your ASM #3 is a beauuuuuuty! Nice! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I sold him the 3, but it was $450, not $350. poke2.gif

Nice looking copy and I was VERY bummed when I saw the two tiny dots of CT. Brought a $1000+ to less than half that. frown.gif Still a great looking book for a nice price.

Depends what you mean by "background mechanical devices' but Kirby machines surrounded by the strategically placed "crackle" are among the sweetest things from the Silver Age cloud9.gif

asm2small.jpg

asm13small.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gif two issues and...... Champagne !! grin.gif

thumbsup2.gif

asm2small.jpg

asm13small.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gif two issues and...... Champagne !! grin.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Thanks, nice of you to offer....I prefer Brut thumbsup2.gif

hello collectors of fine early ASMs hi.gif By way of a fluke I have some books to post here - Dealer sent me the wrong books, I have to return them tomorrow sorry.gif Owning these temporarily is bittersweet extacy though.. I may have to get some ASMs!

asm019bj2.jpg

asm036nc0.jpg

asm046cg6.jpg

sorry, don't know the grades, but I asked them what these books cost (there was also a 9.0ish #104); it came to about $1250.. IMO Superworld's grading is at times slightly optimistic (as in "not strictly CGC-grading" - we're not talking MH Chuck here!), but the pricing make up for it.

Edited by gaute