• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,700 posts in this topic

No problem, Chris - to be confused with ciroac (Bill) is an honor!

I have no goal right now, just picking up the right books at the right prices.

I know this runs contrary to much of the SA thought that I see, but the keys just don't interest me that much at the moment. Sure I'd love to own a FF1, FF5, and FF12, but I'm perfectly content with the regular issues I've been picking up (FF is such a great run of books, it's hard to go wrong).

I didn't mean ciroac. I meant Parker. :baiting:

Just kidding. :D

I think it's cool you don't really have specific books in mind. Right now is a good time to buy FF's (as Jive said). Not alot of heat in the market right now, so some good buys can be had.

If you're looking for some good storylines, go for the Doom stuff (39-40, 57-60, 84-86). Also, I mentioned in another thread, the 74-77 arc is epic cosmic stuff at a more economic price point than 48-50 & 55.

Also, the first couple annuals are really good. #2 expands on Doom's origin.

I think it's cool you don't really have specific books in mind. Right now is a good time to buy FF's (as Jive said). Not alot of heat in the market right now, so some good buys can be had.

If you're looking for some good storylines, go for the Doom stuff (39-40, 57-60, 84-86). Also, I mentioned in another thread, the 74-77 arc is epic cosmic stuff at a more economic price point than 48-50 & 55.

Tony Isabella refers to FF Annual 1 as the greatest comic book ever made....and he's not joking. It's certainly one of them......GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Thanks to Boardies (Columbia Comics and jimjum12 respectively) for these two which arrived today - they fit right in with my run, both being mid-grade beauties with off-white-to-white paper.

FF7FC.jpg

My first early SA FF that I bought back in the late 70's. :cloud9:

Thanks to Boardies (Columbia Comics and jimjum12 respectively) for these two which arrived today - they fit right in with my run, both being mid-grade beauties with off-white-to-white paper.

FF7FC.jpg

My first early SA FF that I bought back in the late 70's. :cloud9:

The splash is totally cool.....Kurrgo kicked back, hitting what looks a lot like a hookah. Rogovin used to own the original art.....a page I would LOVE to own. GOD BLESS....

Tony Isabella refers to FF Annual 1 as the greatest comic book ever made....and he's not joking. It's certainly one of them......GOD BLESS...

I have that in a mylar...I'll have to pull that out this week and give it a re-read...it's been awhile... :cloud9:

I have that in a mylar...I'll have to pull that out this week and give it a re-read...it's been awhile... :cloud9:

.....one thing Isabella did point out was that FF Annual was purchased by him at age 12 on the way to a 2 week family camping trip. GOD BLESS...

You guys must be mind readers; this was at my LCS, and even though it was ND (no discount - consignment), I pulled the trigger. Off-white-to-white pages, and has that "read once" feeling.

So now I have FF Annuals 1, 4, and 5 in grade; still need to find a 2 (as Chris notes) and a 3. :wishluck:

FF1001.jpg

.....those SA Marvel annuals were such treats back in the day. One of my comic haunts was an old Pharmacy with a Soda Fountain.....I can't think of how to describe it, but they had this odd aroma.....this antiseptic, milk shakey smell.....and when I see one of the old annuals I can almost smell the old Pharmacy. I was always excited to hit the comic racks.....but those annuals were real "deer in the headlights" stuff. The Wedding in FF Annual 3 is underrated.....not Pulitzer worthy.....but, my, what a ride. GOD BLESS...

It's a good one... but for me (as a lot of "boardies" already know...) it's ASM Annual #1 .... (worship)

That was a masterpiece, tops FF Annual #1 IMO. (shrug)

You guys must be mind readers; this was at my LCS, and even though it was ND (no discount - consignment), I pulled the trigger. Off-white-to-white pages, and has that "read once" feeling.

So now I have FF Annuals 1, 4, and 5 in grade; still need to find a 2 (as Chris notes) and a 3. :wishluck:

FF1001.jpg

Here's my #2...it is VERY white! :cloud9:

FFANNUAL2CGC85A-2.jpg

FF1001.jpg

Here's my #2...it is VERY white! :cloud9:

FFANNUAL2CGC85A-2.jpg

Tom, nice looking copy. :cloud9:

This book( #2) is also one of my favorite SA books. If it was not for the FF #5 reprint, and perhaps instead a longer feature story "Final Victory of Dr. Doom", I could have ranked this as high as FF Annual #1.

Regardless, it's still one of my favorite books. If you are gonna reprint something, FF #5 ain't too shabby.... (thumbs u

So now I have FF Annuals 1, 4, and 5 in grade; still need to find a 2 (as Chris notes) and a 3.

Please tell me you also have or intend to get a copy of annual #6.

It is my personal favorite comic ever, which means that others must care about it, too.

It's also the birth of Franklin Richards....the first actual birth in comics. First Anhihillus also. GOD BLESS....

It's also the birth of Franklin Richards....the first actual birth in comics. First Anhihillus also. GOD BLESS...

I consider Fantastic Four Annual #6, in its relative simplicity, one of the most deep and accomplished stories in the whole Lee/Kirby production.

There is also a quite striking What If issue (#42) which imagines Susan had died by giving birth to Franklin.

what-if-42.jpg

FF7FC.jpg

Nice one Steve :applause: I think this is the most overlooked early FF book of all (for good reason though). :grin: It's actually not a bad issue, story is OK, the art is classic Kirby, but it's just that the other "early" issues of the FF run are so GOOD, that this issue pales a little when compared to them. (thumbs u

It’s among my favorites. Between the first I’ve read, and pretty unique among the early issues, it has a "sense of wonder" which you’d be more willing to find in some Edmond Hamilton or Murray Leinster novel, compared to the others.

You have to love Kurrgo’s naive arrogance, nothing to do with the grandeur of Sub-Mariner or Doctor Doom… :)

I still do not have a copy of most of these earlier issues, though.