• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,712 posts in this topic

Thought I'd share these.....all "Big Logo" 12 cent circle issues. I'll always love these early Lee / Kirby gems....nothing else like them. I wish I could afford to do the whole run, but I'll have to be content with a few favorites. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

FF5-1.jpg

FF5int.jpg

FF8-4.jpg

FF8int.jpg

FF11.jpg

FF11int.jpg

Thought I'd share these.....all "Big Logo" 12 cent circle issues. I'll always love these early Lee / Kirby gems....nothing else like them. I wish I could afford to do the whole run, but I'll have to be content with a few favorites. GOD BLESS....

FF5-1.jpg

FF5int.jpg

FF8-4.jpg

FF8int.jpg

FF11.jpg

FF11int.jpg

Extremely cool books Jimbo :o

:applause:

Jimbo the #5 is sweet.

It's was a PLOD.....8.0, with 3 small Pro color touches, a 1/4" tear seal, and staples cleaned. Cost less than a 6.5 and has great PQ. It would be one of my last books to go....hope I never have to sell it. The work would be easy to remove, but It's not important to me to do that. The color on the cover is VERY sharp. It's one of my favorites. I don't own many resto books, but I really love the ones that I do.....and their prices. GOD BLESS...

I didn't think I'd win this one.....but my final 15 seconds snipe bid held. It really is a good time to pick up them in 8.0 to 9.0....I think I may have been outbid on this same book a few years ago at 1500.....it went for 2/3s of that today. This book is notorious for dingy color and miscuts/ off-centering.....this one has the full CCA stamp...also unusual with the # 12 probably the only one more difficult. I think James R. has a 9.2 of # 12 that is, to me, the best copy in existence due to it's superior QP. I had thought this 13 was miscut, but it appears that the book is just not square in the well. FF 13 is probably my favorite issue so I apologize if I outbid any of you. GOD BLESS...

FF13vf.jpg

The cut on that book looks fantastic, GRATS! :applause: There must be some well-hidden defects as it looks a notch or two higher than 8.5--all I can see is the slight bindery tear in the upper-left corner and 2-3 spine dings.

The book probably has fallen in price a bit because they seem to be coming out of the woodwork the last few years. You used to go 3-5 years and not see one copy at 8.5 or better, but there have been quite a few 9.x copies per year hitting market of late.

Thanks, buddy. Any chance you might be willing to post your FF 12 ? My memory's not as sharp as it used to be....and I recall it being impeccable. GOD BLESS...

I'll assume you mean my 13. It's a 9.6/9.8 book that if I remember correctly Steve Lauterbach dripped a spot of water on putting it in his car at the original owner's house. doh! Definitely the best-presenting 9.2 I've ever seen. I bought it from drummy a while back now...I think he didn't notice the water spot (which is extremely faintly visible in the scan) and resubbed it due to it's insane appearance.

From 2000 to about 2010, I think I saw two copies of FF 13 hit the open market that were 9.0 or better besides this one. Used to seem like one of the rarest possible Marvels, but the last two years have seen quite a few surface.

ff13.jpg

Actually, I meant the 12....yours has a full stamp, right ?......very uncommon on HG copies of that book. GOD BLESS....

I wouldn't say my 12 has a full CCA stamp, the extreme right edge was cut off--but with how packed the graphics are on this issue, you can't have both the 12 cent circle and the CCA stamp both be intact unless they miscut the issue to be wider than most Silver books are, which is possible. Actually I think your 13 may be slightly wider than my 13 by about 1/8" of an inch, you appear to have the same amount of space to the left of the price circle as mine but more room to the right of the CCA stamp.

ff12.jpg

...thanks friend. I've noticed cut variations within the same issue in the early Marvels as well. Specifically 5, 12, and 13......they're favorites of mine and I pay more attention to them. The circle 12 on FF 5 can't be full, it's cropped on the plate. GOD BLESS...

P.S.I guess I've never seen a 12 above fine with a full stamp....yours is very close....and I can't for the life of me, can't see why it isn't a 9.4.

You know it's a hard ish to find with a full date stamp and circle 12 price stamp when the Pacific Coast copy doesn't have them (the date stamp is all there at least):

FF12.jpg

I didn't think I'd win this one.....but my final 15 seconds snipe bid held. It really is a good time to pick up them in 8.0 to 9.0....I think I may have been outbid on this same book a few years ago at 1500.....it went for 2/3s of that today. This book is notorious for dingy color and miscuts/ off-centering.....this one has the full CCA stamp...also unusual with the # 12 probably the only one more difficult. I think James R. has a 9.2 of # 12 that is, to me, the best copy in existence due to it's superior QP. I had thought this 13 was miscut, but it appears that the book is just not square in the well. FF 13 is probably my favorite issue so I apologize if I outbid any of you. GOD BLESS...

FF13vf.jpg

This is my favorite FF cover. There's a beautiful TC copy just sold recently on Clink.

I bid on it to a point but then it went to silly money, well at least for me :sorry:

Great book :applause:

P.S.I guess I've never seen a 12 above fine with a full stamp....yours is very close

I'm sure they exist with both the price circle and stamp in intact, sometimes Silver books were cut well wider than average. The widest-cut Silver book I have is a copy of Spidey #20--I can't fit it in a Silver Age mylite bag, I have it in a GA bag because it's about a half-inch to three-quarters of an inch wider than the average Silver book.