• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,704 posts in this topic

So now I have FF Annuals 1, 4, and 5 in grade; still need to find a 2 (as Chris notes) and a 3.

Please tell me you also have or intend to get a copy of annual #6.

It is my personal favorite comic ever, which means that others must care about it, too.

On that recommendation Jack I have just purchased this on ebay...can't wait to read it...not sure I've ever read this one... (thumbs u

FF annual 6 is not the greatest story of the Kirby/Lee Fantastic Fours. It's just my favorite.

I bought it when I was a kid in its reprint form of Giant-Size Fantastic Four #6, during the same mid-70s years that I was buying Marvel's Greatest Comics. By the time I was getting them, MGC had gotten past the true Glory Era of FF and was reprinting the issues from number 68 thru 93. These are stories done after Kirby had made the decision to stop pouring his best ideas into the book and concentrated on prettier pictures. The more straight-forward plots hit my 10-12 year old brain just perfectly, and I will always consider the art from these comics the definitive Fantastic Four.

Fantastic Four annual #6 is the longest single issue story Kirby did on FF, and it had room for everything I want in a comic book. The 3 boys each have their moments, a great new villain, monsters, and it's a great example of a superhero not just being reactive to a bad guy, but initiating events, an FF specialty.

Now then. I'll mail a reading copy to the best essay that validates all my opinions and agrees that I'm a super-genius of Taste and Handsomeness.

Just pay shipping. :devil:

Edited by KirbyJack

I'm new at collecting Marvels. I've bought five or six of them already. With that in mind, I just purchased a CGC 8.5 white paged FF6. It's a beautiful-looking copy and I paid just a bit under OSPG for it. Here's my question: Is an 8.5 a good investment for an FF6. It is the 2nd appearance of Dr. Doom and first Marvel villian team-up. I'm planning on waiting at least 7-10 years before reselling the book. What do you seasoned Marvel or FF collectors think?

Thanks in advance:

SLR

Steve, like you I'm another GA grognard getting into SA so I will defer to the experts here, but FF6 is a *great* book and the first real SA Marvel comic I ever bought (at one of Terry's prior shows - a couple of buddies talked me into it).

Mine is only a 6.0 (looks 8.0-ish but has two pieces of tape inside the back cover) but it has white pages and is a fabulous read; would like to see a scan of your copy when you get a chance...

As an investment I think its like anything else it has the potential to go up and down. If they reboot the new a new FF movie and they get it right this time things should go up.

Over the course of 7 to 10 years you might have to pick the right time to sell to maximize profit. FF seems to be a little less popular at the moment so it is likely a good time to buy.

If I was going to look at FF books that might go up I'd stick with 1st appearances 1, 4 and especially 5..Unless Subby and Doom team up in a movie I doubt #6 has a massive spike might go up but who knows. Subby does seem like a hard character to portray running around in his bathing suit

After Avengers smash debut and if Spidey is good this summer you know studios will be drooling to cash in and FF reboot will be in the works

I'm no investment expert, but I don't see how you can go wrong with FF #6. 2nd app. of both Subby and Doom, a great read and there can't be more of those in 8.0 than there are collectors who'd like one in that shape. I know I plan to upgrade someday.

I think it's a blockbuster book!

I'm no investment expert, but I don't see how you can go wrong with FF #6. 2nd app. of both Subby and Doom, a great read and there can't be more of those in 8.0 than there are collectors who'd like one in that shape. I know I plan to upgrade someday.

I think it's a blockbuster book!

.....it's a must have for a serious FF collector. While not mentioned in OSPG, it contains the first Yancey Street Gang. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

FF annual 6 is not the greatest story of the Kirby/Lee Fantastic Fours. It's just my favorite.

Don’t know. It’s a great story, for sure, and this goes beyond the element of personal taste. It may have flaws compared to others, it was also one of the earliest examples of such lenghty stories, so it was quite an experiment.

I'm planning on waiting at least 7-10 years before reselling the book. What do you seasoned Marvel or FF collectors think?
Hmm… I try to live and think day by day. I don’t even know if I’ll be still here tomorrow, go figure 10 years from now. :preach:

Besides this, I wonder what makes you wonder to sell, since you clearly seem to have started collecting the Fantastic Four because you enjoy them. (thumbs u

Love this ish, too. Annihilus became a feared and often-encountered foe of the FF during the Bronze Age, and his Negative Zone a place of danger and mystery, so I think his introduction in this book is an underappreciated first appearance.

FFAnn6.jpg

Great looking copy of a great comic.

The Saginaw comics that Sparkle City auctioned took a bit of heat on the boards for some soft grades, but the one ish I bought was gorgeous. This one looks beautiful, too. (thumbs u

Is Saginaw in Michigan or Oklahoma or is there one in both?

SLR

Just looked it up. It's Spavinaw, OK where Mickey Mantle was born and Saginaw, MI where this collection originated.

Does anyone know much about this collection?

SLR

Edited by Stevenrams

Is Saginaw in Michigan or Oklahoma or is there one in both?

SLR

Just looked it up. It's Spavinaw, OK where Mickey Mantle was born and Saginaw, MI where this collection originated.

Does anyone know much about this collection?

SLR

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&topic=234019