• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,712 posts in this topic

..... perfectly centered 21's are not easy..... and FF 16 :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

jimjum I think you had said in your post that perfectly centered FF issue #21's are hard to come by. Do you think that perhaps that book is worth mentioning in the notorious production flaws thread??

.....many '62 and "63 Marvel's are that way..... but in my opinion.... FF 12, 13, and 21 are 3 of the more difficult one's to find with perfect PQ..... but how many have I actually seen to base my opinion on ? Let's say I'd nominate them for a group consensus..... GOD BLESS...

..... perfectly centered 21's are not easy..... and FF 16 :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9: GOD BLESS....

jimjum I think you had said in your post that perfectly centered FF issue #21's are hard to come by. Do you think that perhaps that book is worth mentioning in the notorious production flaws thread??

.....many '62 and "63 Marvel's are that way..... but in my opinion.... FF 12, 13, and 21 are 3 of the more difficult one's to find with perfect PQ..... but how many have I actually seen to base my opinion on ? Let's say I'd nominate them for a group consensus..... GOD BLESS...

Strangely enough, I think that the during earlier part of the print run of each issue had less production defects than the later copies. These are some original owner books that I picked up a couple of years ago. They came far from the East coast and I can only assume they were printed earlier in the production run as they had to travel further. Nearly every book from the run had perfect centering, even the tough to find issues. #13 is obviously an exception here.

FantasticFour12CGC8_51107118011.jpg

FantasticFour13CGC85OWW1107118012.jpg

FantasticFour16CGC9_4White1107118015.jpg

Strangely enough, I think that the during earlier part of the print run of each issue had less production defects than the later copies. These are some original owner books that I picked up a couple of years ago. They came far from the East coast and I can only assume they were printed earlier in the production run as they had to travel further. Nearly every book from the run had perfect centering, even the tough to find issues. #13 is obviously an exception here.

FantasticFour12CGC8_51107118011.jpg

FantasticFour13CGC85OWW1107118012.jpg

FantasticFour16CGC9_4White1107118015.jpg

hm

...... to clarify, when I speak of perfect PQ, the book most not only be centered, but it must also show the full left corner logo box (if applicable) and the full CCA stamp (which is often cropped slightly). Certain issues like FF 5 can't have all the elements in their entirety because they aren't even present on the camera ready stats. The cropping problems with the CCA generally vanish by '64. What I've noticed about this is that the actual size of the comic book itself was decreased slightly from the '59- '60 books and it seems the artists were still producing covers that were either on obsolete blue line boards or at proportional dimensions that were intended for the earlier slightly larger size. To see what I mean, a late 50's pre hero Marvel will be a tight fit in a SA bag and board, while an early FF fits easily. What Roy mentioned about different portions of the print run being better is also a significant factor, as these things were manufactured as throw away items until the late 60's..... in the early 60's, if these things started to drift off center no one really cared....as long as the date , price, and most of the stamp was there. GOD BLESS.....

..... two good examples of perfect PQ on FF 12 and 13 are with the WM copy of 12 and the D&M copy of FF 13....... FF 12, in my experience, is easily the toughest to find with perfect PQ.

Edited by jimjum12

I agree with Jimbo, that issues 11-13 in particular are very tough to find with both a full price circle on the left and a full CCA stamp on the right.

Here's the Northland copy of 13, also purchased originally in the midwest (and before it was pressed and into a 9.2 slab). As with many other copies, the CCA stamp isn't intact.

FF13NL.jpg

I was always an early FF fiend...and it's the only run I've ever put together more than once.... so I'm not sure how this applies to other titles. I'm sure there are a few more problem issues with the "62-"63 Marvels. GOD BLESS...

Vintage you know a heck of a lot about comics. I read the conversation between you and jimjum on the question I posed to him about production flaws. I think between the two of you there is enough knowledge on the matter to draw some conclusions.

I hate to derail this thread any further so it would seem there is a small concensus that FF #'s11-13 are as a rule off center/miscut. So if I may be so bold I would like to present that as a post in the comic & restoration flaws Q&A thread :signofftopic: . Perhaps with a small foot note on it pertaining to all '62-'63 Marvels.

:idea: So if anybody thinks it a bad idea or not worth mentioning then somebody stop me...before its to late and I get booted :bump: from this thread for being irrelevant. Thanks!

Hey all --

Great conversation here...I have also been looking at early FF's for about 20 years now and concur with everything I'm hearing about FF 11-13 in particular; just hard to find a nicely registered copy. And even though I've been selling a lot of FF's lately, I've held on to my 11-13 run because they actually have good QP and I would be hard-pressed to find such examples again (although the Code on the #13 is barely hanging on). I'm also a huge Impossible Man and Watcher fan, so there's that, too... :acclaim:

FF11.jpg

FF12_zps871fb37d.jpg

FF13_zps82c4a3ab.jpg

Dan

:idea: So if anybody thinks it a bad idea or not worth mentioning then somebody stop me...before its to late and I get booted :bump: from this thread for being irrelevant. Thanks!

That’s not a likely event to occur… this specific thread is a very amicable place to chat about whatever is related to the FFs, even miswraps and miscuts… :D

After all, FF fans are about the most amicably people on the planet, aren’t they? ;)

P.S. I did not connect during Christmas as I have been having a bad flu, still recovering. :( Great to see all the usuals around, have a good continuation of Christmas season and a serene new year!

That’s not a likely event to occur… this specific thread is a very amicable place to chat about whatever is related to the FFs, even miswraps and miscuts… :D

After all, FF fans are about the most amicably people on the planet, aren’t they? ;)

P.S. I did not connect during Christmas as I have been having a bad flu, still recovering. :( Great to see all the usuals around, have a good continuation of Christmas season and a serene new year!

Be well :foryou::angel:

Thanks Thomas… it left me with very little energy (and low blood pressure). I am pretty much drained.

There are nasty bugs going around on this side of the pond as well.

Get well soon!