• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,700 posts in this topic

16 does seem to be the most common, but also the most wanted in that group (due the great Doom cover).

17 is alot tougher, but the cover is such a stinker. I'm almost glad that mine came back PLOD and I was able to return it. :grin:

17 is alot tougher, but the cover is such a stinker. I'm almost glad that mine came back PLOD and I was able to return it. :grin:

Why's it a stinker? It's somewhat busy, but it's also a great action cover. It's very similar to #5, but more exciting. I could absolutely see a kid picking #17 over #5 if they were sitting side-by-side. I do generally prefer #5 to this one, but I appreciate what Kirby was going for here.

ff17.jpg

I prefer "splash" style covers, not the "broken panel" layout like 17 has.

I think #5 is far superior to this. You get a much larger Doom.

16 is the same. Far, far superior to the 17 cover.

17 is one of my least favorite covers in the first 20. And I love Doom.

I also prefer 5 given its single image and more menacing Doom (who is looming above the group instead of packed in the middle of them); it reminds me of 39 in that way, not to mention 84.

All the early FF covers have special places in my heart because they speak so clearly to the "Age of Comics" Marvel was trying to establish. In terms of cover art, though, I don't think any of them are that special or interesting. My favorites, though, include 16, 12, 4, and 13...next group 14, 1, 5, and 8....third group 18, 17, 11, and 7...and the rest in whatever order you want.

But as a collector of 1-20 right now, I'll take any one of 'em I can find! Beggars and choosers, etc.

Dan

Why's it a stinker? It's somewhat busy, but it's also a great action cover. It's very similar to #5, but more exciting. I could absolutely see a kid picking #17 over #5 if they were sitting side-by-side. I do generally prefer #5 to this one, but I appreciate what Kirby was going for here.

ff17.jpg

Beautiful. Its so hard to not want to collect early FF's again, I just love these books. :cloud9:

ff17.jpg

I always wondered what the first cover draft for 17 looked like. The printed version consists of primarily pasted up stats from the interior pages. I don't dislike it either,James......but I'd much rather see a large scan of that radical Golden State copy of FF 16 :cloud9: The FF run is one of the last ones to have large chunks in a group.....for example 31- 40.....no way should they all be priced the same. 9.2 copies of 31, 39, 40, and possibly 36 always go for considerably more than the rest. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Its so hard to not want to collect early FF's again, I just love these books. :cloud9:

I've always heard that your collection is incomplete without a long run of Kirby FFs.... :baiting:

So true. No matter how many times I buy and sell them over the years I always come back to them.

For those of us who were buying those Lee Kirby masterpieces off the stands in the 60's.....they present a strong attraction. I pull out my Omnibus and just read the letters some days. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I'd much rather see a large scan of that radical Golden State copy of FF 16 :cloud9: The FF run is one of the last ones to have large chunks in a group.....for example 31- 40.....no way should they all be priced the same. 9.2 copies of 31, 39, 40, and possibly 36 always go for considerably more than the rest.

Yea but the 31-40 issues that go for more than others are due to some of those issues being lower population and tough to find in grade. Overstreet doesn't reflect higher market prices due to rarity of specific issues or lower prices due to overabundance for any titles, not just FF.

Here's that Golden State copy of #16...it'll be in a 9.6 holder eventually, this is the most undergraded FF I own. I felt like I was overpaying when I bought it, but it looked undergraded in the scan, and in hand it looks even more undergraded--there just aren't any creases anywhere. I wouldn't be shocked if this got regraded at 9.8, the only real defect I've been able to find is the slight rub in the lower-left corner, which is barely a defect, but with the other three corners being razor-sharp, it stands out on an otherwise-perfect book.

ff16.jpg

I'd much rather see a large scan of that radical Golden State copy of FF 16 :cloud9: The FF run is one of the last ones to have large chunks in a group.....for example 31- 40.....no way should they all be priced the same. 9.2 copies of 31, 39, 40, and possibly 36 always go for considerably more than the rest.

Yea but the 31-40 issues that go for more than others are due to some of those issues being lower population and tough to find in grade. Overstreet doesn't reflect higher market prices due to rarity of specific issues or lower prices due to overabundance for any titles, not just FF.

Here's that Golden State copy of #16...it'll be in a 9.6 holder eventually, this is the most undergraded FF I own. I felt like I was overpaying when I bought it, but it looked undergraded in the scan, and in hand it looks even more undergraded--there just aren't any creases anywhere. I wouldn't be shocked if this got regraded at 9.8, the only real defect I've been able to find is the slight rub in the lower-left corner, which is barely a defect, but with the other three corners being razor-sharp, it stands out on an otherwise-perfect book.

Ahhh, its ok.. :whistle:

Who collects this junk anyway? :insane:

All of this talk about the price increase in these early FFs is depressing. There are a few books I would still like to upgrade and as a collector of FF (it's my favorite book and I have them all) it kind of sucks to see them go up more and more.

I wish people would appreciate them just not buy them so I can buy more copies.

All of this talk about the price increase in these early FFs is depressing. There are a few books I would still like to upgrade and as a collector of FF (it's my favorite book and I have them all) it kind of sucks to see them go up more and more.

I wish people would appreciate them just not buy them so I can buy more copies.

+1 :whistle:

Looks like an undergrade to me as well. I'm sure you've called for the notes. What did CGC say?

Very light edge and corner wear and a tiny stain on the back cover similar to ones I've seen on other 9.6 books I own.

I'd try and go for an onsite grading resub and 9.6 if I were you.

What's the advantage of onsite? I still have yet to submit a book to CGC, but I don't really care how long it takes them. This book has been sitting at my bank the last year or two anyway.