• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any One Interested in a MYSTERY IN SPACE Collecting Thread?

648 posts in this topic

Mystery In Space #57

There's a 9.4 freak of nature in the census - not sure if it's the Bethlehem copy

It's the Bethlehem

Mystery In Space #55

The lone top census copy. A great Gil Kane cover done in grey tone with the help of Jack Adler. Purchased from Harley, who co-owned the book with Terry O'Neil and Ron Murry.

MIS55cgc.jpg

:grin: (thumbs u

And the last one to post for today:

Mystery In Space #58

This is a top census copy, at least until Beaumonts decides to submit his spectacular Slobodian example. The Kane cover may be his best of the run, but it's a tough call with so many great ones.

This copy was purchased from Steve Lauterbach. It used to be graded 9.2, but it dropped a unit when Steve resubmitted it. :tonofbricks:

MIS58cgc.jpg

Killer! :applause:

This is my favourite cover in the run. I have no plans on subbing the Slobodian. Beautiful comic, congrats.

Mystery In Space #59

Just another great Gil Kane Sci-Fi cover with a brilliant color scheme. Another of the many time travel story lines that were so frequent with DC in the early Silver Age even beyond this title.

There is a 9.2 Bethlehem copy ahead of this one in the census - CGC was tough on this copy by comparison.

MIS59cgc.jpg

Mystery In Space #60

First Infantino cover art in the run. Incredibly tough June 1960 issue to find in decent shape, this 8.0 is tied with one other copy at the top of the census.

MIS60cgc.jpg

Mystery In Space #61

White Mountain copy purchased raw from Marnin, who owned a bunch of the White Mountain, Bethlehem, and Slobodian pedigree copies of the title. An impressive number of truly amazing comics have passed through Marnin's hands over the years. The awesome Infantino/Anderson cover art begins.

Curiously this issue was graded with off-white page quality when the very next White Mountain issue was considered 'white. Perhaps the two issues were not stored next to each other in the same stack... Both have the wonderful fragrance of mothballs and fresh newsprint so characteristic of the pedigree.

MIS61cgc.jpg

Mystery In Space #62

Another White Mountain copy courtesy of Marnin. This is an example of how the coloring choices make the title just jump off the page. They used the gradient effect on the background color to great use on this title. Sweet Infantino action cover with Adam's lady-love in distress.

With 2 others at the top of the census.

MIS62cgc.jpg

Mystery In Space #63

Another very tough issue for me to find in decent shape, with copies in 8.5 topping the census. Beware the vacuumizer, especially when wielded by little green men from outer space!

MIS63cgc.jpg

Mystery In Space #63

Another very tough issue for me to find in decent shape, with copies in 8.5 topping the census. Beware the vacuumizer, especially when wielded by little green men from outer space!

MIS63cgc.jpg

I love the stylized backgrounds in Infantino’s covers. Beautiful books!

Mystery In Space #59

Just another great Gil Kane Sci-Fi cover with a brilliant color scheme. Another of the many time travel story lines that were so frequent with DC in the early Silver Age even beyond this title.

There is a 9.2 Bethlehem copy ahead of this one in the census - CGC was tough on this copy by comparison.

MIS59cgc.jpg

Fantastic deep color's on that copy.

Here's one I doubt anyone has posted.

MysteryinSpace53Mexico.jpg

(worship)

This is actually a later edition and is about the size of a digest. There was an earlier one published in the regular comic size format. I haven't come across one yet but am keeping my eyes open.

More beautiful copies :applause:

Curiously this issue was graded with off-white page quality when the very next White Mountain issue was considered 'white. Perhaps the two issues were not stored next to each other in the same stack...

DC page quality was quite inconsistent and the difference is most likely due to how the books came out of the printing plant. It would be straight-forward to determine if the book were unslabbed as the low quality paper looks different -- you can actually see little pieces of wood in it.

On occasion you will find an annual which is made of two different quality papers where one is white and the other cr-ow.

MIS #56 is the only issue in the Adam Strange run to ish 90 that has escaped me in decent shape.

In the interest of keeping our OCD-afflicted members happy...

MIS56slobv2.jpg