• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any One Interested in a MYSTERY IN SPACE Collecting Thread?

648 posts in this topic

MIS #56 is the only issue in the Adam Strange run to ish 90 that has escaped me in decent shape.

In the interest of keeping our OCD-afflicted members happy...

MIS56slobv2.jpg

Wow. :o

(Can you tell us how you acquired it?)

It's the Slobodian copy that I purchased from Metropolis, picking it up at a SD Con a number of years ago.

Mystery In Space #53. This copy was from the East Lansing collection, which from the little I've been able to gather was a really sweet late fifties/early sixties collection.

MIS53cgc.jpg

That's a really nice 8.0. CGC must have been pretty hard on submissions that day.

I hadn't heard of the East Lansing collection until now. From what I see though, I'd like to know more about it.

:)

Mystery In Space #61

White Mountain copy purchased raw from Marnin, who owned a bunch of the White Mountain, Bethlehem, and Slobodian pedigree copies of the title. An impressive number of truly amazing comics have passed through Marnin's hands over the years. The awesome Infantino/Anderson cover art begins.

Curiously this issue was graded with off-white page quality when the very next White Mountain issue was considered 'white. Perhaps the two issues were not stored next to each other in the same stack... Both have the wonderful fragrance of mothballs and fresh newsprint so characteristic of the pedigree.

MIS61cgc.jpg

Sweet. :cloud9: One of my favorite Mystery In Space covers from the early 60's. When I got into collecting in the late 90's this was the first Mystery In Space issue that I was able to buy.

MIS #56 is the only issue in the Adam Strange run to ish 90 that has escaped me in decent shape.

In the interest of keeping our OCD-afflicted members happy...

MIS56slobv2.jpg

Oh that is a fabulous eye popping copy!

(thumbs u

White Mountain copy purchased raw from Marnin, who owned a bunch of the White Mountain, Bethlehem, and Slobodian pedigree copies of the title. An impressive number of truly amazing comics have passed through Marnin's hands over the years. .

MIS61cgc.jpg

Beautiful copy! Let's compare it to my raw copy from the Dallas Stephens collection which I bought about eight years ago from Mile High Comics:

MysteryinSpace61Dallas.jpg

:)

Mystery In Space #67

Mound City copy - the MIS run in the collection went back to 1961 and was really nice. This is the lone top census copy. Bizarre giant insect cover.

MIS67cgc.jpg

Mystery In Space #68

Savannah copy, trails a single 9.2 census copy. Danger from still another bizarre creature (a unic-tiger, anyone?). Once the covers are priced "Still 10 cents", a price hike can't be far around the corner.

MIS68cgc.jpg

Mystery In Space #66

Another green man from outer space.

MIS66cgc.jpg

This is one of my favorite covers. I got Anthony Castrillo to do a version for me...

mystery_in_space_66_castrillo_smaller.jpg

That's awesome and I agree, it is one of my favorites of the run also. Great book and great recreation

:applause:

That's a great piece of art. (thumbs u

Here's more of the Infantino cover art run. Mystery In Space #69

Another nice example from the Mound City collection. Trails a 9.2 copy in the census.

MIS69cgc.jpg