• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any One Interested in a MYSTERY IN SPACE Collecting Thread?

648 posts in this topic

Here's a nice Mystery in Space, Mike.

MIS34-1.jpg

Looks great to me! Do you think CGC penalized it for the date scribble?

???

Yes, I'm sure they did. Also, you can't see from this scan but there are a few color-breaking ticks at the spine. BTW, I bought this from Gary Carter back in the day. He told me it was the Church Copy and that he had purchased it from Chuck Rosanski. I included this info at the time of submission and when the book arrived I called CGC and they told me this book was not on their "Master List" of MIS Mile Highs. Something about the list ended at a much earlier number. A good friend of mine and board member offered me Gary Carter's phone number and I know he would remember me as I bought my other MH book--Detective Comics 167 from him. But I didn't really want to bother him. He is no longer active in the hobby--not sure why. If you recall he was the first editor of CBM and its publisher.

SLR

Here's a nice Mystery in Space, Mike.

MIS34-1.jpg

Amazing book Steve, love the earlier S.A. issues of this title with the Earth in peril covers. In fact issue #34 is the first of the Silver Age issues. :cloud9: [/quotIe

I really never bought into the "First Silver Age Issue" nomenclature. It just means that this copy hit the stands at or around the same time as SC 4. In terms of content, appearance, PQ, pagination, it's no different than the few issues before it. "Just sayin"

SLR

...I bought this from Gary Carter back in the day.... He is no longer active in the hobby--not sure why. If you recall he was the first editor of CBM and its publisher.

I think the reason Gary is no longer active in the hobby is it would be too painful for him to participate because he sold off his own lovingly accumulated collection sometime in the nineties.

Why though he felt compelled to sell the collection though is the mystery. I believe he had one of the best DC collections ever assembled from the Golden Age right through to the Bronze/Copper Age. It was a collection I dreamed of just seeing. But maybe he couldn't stomach DC's attempts to consign his comics to the dustbin of history after Crisis on Infinite Earths. Or maybe even then he was disgusted by the ever growing commercialization of the hobby.

Has he ever actually expounded upon his reasons to anyone's knowledge?

???

And the last issue of my run, and the end of the uninterrupted Infantino work on Adam Strange, Mystery In Space #90

Spectacular cover art.

MIS90cgc.jpg

:luhv: IF THAT ISN'T A CLASSIC COVER I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS :cry:

And the last issue of my run, and the end of the uninterrupted Infantino work on Adam Strange, Mystery In Space #90

Spectacular cover art.

MIS90cgc.jpg

:luhv: IF THAT ISN'T A CLASSIC COVER I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS :cry:

Yes, I agree. One of the great covers of the run and one of the great Silver Age Covers period!!

SLR

fbff90ab-6e38-4f08-ae51-ae84f9a820c9_zps550c2c08.jpg

mysteryinspace26_zps44d8beb9.jpg

3e0a183f-0e47-4dc2-a06a-b1a03e642c91_zps11ce72b4.jpg

From a collection up the road, in Australia

These are very nice books. You don't run across these books very often Stateside either. Congrats! And I sure would like to read the stories. I have purchased about five or six Fine copies of this great title just to read the stories.

SLR

Thanks Steven - I must admit to being super impressed by the imagination shown in the art and storylines.

Sadly, there is not much value in these, so I wonder if that factor (having no real worth $ wise - not compared to others of its time) led to this book being so hard to find.

People didn't bother collecting them so out they went. Its quite sad if that's true as looking beyond the $ value, these are such criminally underated comics.

Said by a guy who usually looks at the $ value first.. lol

Thanks again for the kind words.

I'm not sure what you mean that there's not much value in these, I've seen some pretty steep prices on the high-grade and pedigree copies. True these aren't up to the values of the super-hero books, but the sheer number of book from the 50's and early 60's has got to make it a tough one to complete, if that's even possible. So many primo covers in the run and primo Infantino covers too.

Keep 'em coming folks :applause:

Sadly, there is not much value in these, so I wonder if that factor (having no real worth $ wise - not compared to others of its time) led to this book being so hard to find.People didn't bother collecting them so out they went. Its quite sad if that's true as looking beyond the $ value, these are such criminally underated comics.

As a general point though you are very correct. The toughest vintage comics to find, especially in high grade, are not the expensive ones. The low demand cheap ones are the ones that are really tough. That's because high prices bring out the supply. That's a time tested economic adage.

:preach: