• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cherish a Chesler!
2 2

638 posts in this topic

I've always considered it kind of a Centaur, actually, as pretty much all the interior artists are the same. Here's mine, which lacks the "sacentaur's camera sheen" (not that sacentaur's camera could help it much):

cocomalt.jpg

It's interesting how different collectors and websites categorise this issue either as a Centaur, a Chesler and comics.org lists it under Quality. Another case of blurred lines between packager, copyright holder and publisher.

Here's a digest-size book which seems to me to be kind of a missing link between a Chesler and a Centaur. And no listing in Overstreet. What year was this from? Any info about these?

62243-mirth5sm.jpg

62244-mirth5backsm.jpg

Just saw this, not 100% sure, but I believe this was published around 1944-45, it is very similar to the Yankee Comics book (also digest-sized) from around this time (1943-44). I scanned a copy in this thread a few pages back of the Yankee comic. I would guess it's value to be approx. $25-30 for FN to about $75-80 for VF/NM.

Your copy looks to be about FN/VF.

I could be off a little on this info so don't hold me to it as gospel, but I believe it's close. Anyone with more info is encouraged to pipe in on this.

Here's a digest-size book which seems to me to be kind of a missing link between a Chesler and a Centaur. And no listing in Overstreet. What year was this from? Any info about these?

62243-mirth5sm.jpg

62244-mirth5backsm.jpg

These were produced when Chesler was in the army. Read the indicia very carefully. Some of the material is from past issues. Gus Ricca manned the store at this point.

Here is part of an article I did on Chelser for CBM.....

Dynamic had ceased publication with the third issue (February 1942). The numbering for Dynamic resumed with number 8. Punch Comics had ceased with the second issue (February 1942) and resumed with issue 9 in July 1944. Scoop Comics ceased with the third issue (March 1942) and resumed with one single issue in 1945- issue number 8. Yankee Comics concluded with issue 4 – March 1942- and never resumed.

Before examining the post superhero production, it is appropriate to propose an explanation for these gaps. Although apparently he and his editor were engaged in service to their country, Chesler actually continued to produce a number of pocket size comicbooks for Remington Morse Co. and William Wise Co. The new art director, Gus Ricca, had a hand in this production. It is not known how widely distributed these issues were. Note that one of these pocketsize titles was Yankee Comics. The numbering of presently known pocketsize issues of Yankee Comics is for issues 4 through 7. It may be reasonable to conclude that this explains the number 8 for the single issue of Scoop Comics (or Dynamic Comics 8). During this time, digest issues appeared for Adventures of Riggin’ Bill (a character traceable to the first issue of Star Comics), Private Bill, Tops in Humor (issue 2 even has Chesler in it with the ever present cigar in his mouth), Mirth of a Nation and You Chirped a Chinful. The audience for these books was service personnel. The idea for these digests may well have come to Chesler as a result of his contact with the armed services. The books had prices of 5 and 10 cents.

Accordingly, the gaps in numbering may represent the issues of these digests that were produced in this period. The contents of these books were mainly single page gags of service life with patriotic text fillers. Some of the material was reprinted from the pre-hero period of 1937. The reprinting of old material was fairly common for the books that Chesler produced from 1944 onward.

62243-mirth5sm.jpg

62244-mirth5backsm.jpg

lastscansq0.th.jpg

No information whatsoever, but I do own #2.

Figured I'd add a book to this thread.

This is a book I don't see very often (Jest #11).

jest11.jpg

What are the stories in Jest? I am trying to identify a coverless copy with a Rocketman story featuring The Spider Master. I thought it was Punch 21 but there is a Johnny Rebel story in the comic, 52 pages and it is trimmed down from the usual wide Chesler, which makes me conclude that it is a later issue in the line. I don't have any information on Jest.

bb

2095643790_f12b6d9d18_b.jpg

I'll dig it up tomorrow (hopefully). If I remember it's mostly humor stuff. I know there is a "Little Nemo" story for example, but I'll check to see what else and post it here. :)

Oh, by the way, Rocket Man is NOT included here!!! :sorry:

Edited by Blind Owl

Canadian version of a chesler, cant figure out which issue is the US version anyone know? Thanks!

th_scan0022-1.jpg

From the GCD, it looks like Dynamic 10. The Dynamic Man story would be "The Sleep King".

bb

2915487422_baed7d6e89_o.jpg

I love the ads that are on the back cover of some of the golden age comics. This is from Dynamic 1.

2918786414_bfb45d6f81_o.jpg

And I like the goofy helmets that some of the characters wore. I think Nedor had a similar character with a egyptian theme.

2917936735_7e0b0a98a8_o.jpg

Figured I'd add a book to this thread.

This is a book I don't see very often (Jest #11).

jest11.jpg

What are the stories in Jest? I am trying to identify a coverless copy with a Rocketman story featuring The Spider Master. I thought it was Punch 21 but there is a Johnny Rebel story in the comic, 52 pages and it is trimmed down from the usual wide Chesler, which makes me conclude that it is a later issue in the line. I don't have any information on Jest.

bb

2095643790_f12b6d9d18_b.jpg

Hi B.B.;

I went thru the entire comic and as I stated earlier there are no Rocket-Man stories. This book is all humor stuff. The longest story is only 6 pgs. long and that is the "Little Nemo in Adventure Land" story I also mentioned, I recognize a few reprints though. A Fred Guardineer page, Several pages from Star Ranger, and a couple of Richard Ryan (Won't let me spell the shortened version of Richard on these threads???) pages, either from Star Comics or Funny Pages. On interesting page was "Private Chesler" which I thought was amusing since I believe Chesler was in the Army when this book was published!!! Hope this helps you.

Edited by Blind Owl