• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

I think I sold the Wonder for more than that a decade ago.

Another argument pro-minor restoration. When I sold it, the spine split was only about 1", it's gotten progressively worse.

in the slab now, it should not get worse, but obviously, it did somewhere along the way...

same on my D all star 3...at one point, was just a little spine split, now it is 3/4 because no one sealed it :(

Still, I wonder....why does a 4" spine split give a book a qualified label? Isn't that like saying 9.0 if not for the..........or 4"spine split/otherwise 9.0. I can see it being used for a missing cf or coupon, but......

On some books like this CGC will give the submitter the option.

4.5 blue or 9 green (or whatever the case may be).

In the comiclink auction now there is a Captain America 47. I submitted that book. The centerfold is loose. CGC gave me the option of an 8.0 green or a 4.0 blue. In my opinion 4.0 has nothing whatsoever to do with the grade of that book. It is a VF with a loose centerfold, so I took the green label option. It does make sense in some cases, but with this spine split scenario I agree with you.

Still, I wonder....why does a 4" spine split give a book a qualified label? Isn't that like saying 9.0 if not for the..........or 4"spine split/otherwise 9.0. I can see it being used for a missing cf or coupon, but......

On some books like this CGC will give the submitter the option.

4.5 blue or 9 green (or whatever the case may be).

In the comiclink auction now there is a Captain America 47. I submitted that book. The centerfold is loose. CGC gave me the option of an 8.0 green or a 4.0 blue. In my opinion 4.0 has nothing whatsoever to do with the grade of that book. It is a VF with a loose centerfold, so I took the green label option. It does make sense in some cases, but with this spine split scenario I agree with you.

You... agree with....me..... Again? So, your a more experienced grader than I am, since with my eyesight everything looks like a vg+. what would you grade a book like that Wonder with the 4 inch spine split? I'd give it a 6.0.

I'd take the More Fun because it's a Mile High, has pre-Superman S&S work and it's from 1936. Issues that look that nice are rare enough from '38 or '39 but the extra couple years for a '36 is, to me, a rarity worthy of the extra money.

More Fun for me - Blue Label + Church copy.

former purple label + church :gossip:

Do you remember what the resto notes on the purple label were? (tsk)

minor color touch...it was scraped off the spine (you can see in the middle where there it is now exposed)...I believe Zaid recounted this for me, as he once owned the book, maybe (shrug)

minor color touch...it was scraped off the spine (you can see in the middle where there it is now exposed)...I believe Zaid recounted this for me, as he once owned the book, maybe (shrug)

Did Zaid own the book? If so, Did he liquidate some of his More Fun collection? Otherwise it's surprising that anyone would collect the run and get rid of the Church copy for any reason?

Which would someone choose? Boh books have some historical significance and come from top pedigrees so I guess a case could be made for either book?

Was the Church copy the first GA comic that Church ever bought?

Did Zaid own the book? If so, Did he liquidate some of his More Fun collection? Otherwise it's surprising that anyone would collect the run and get rid of the Church copy for any reason?

Which would someone choose? Boh books have some historical significance and come from top pedigrees so I guess a case could be made for either book?

Was the Church copy the first GA comic that Church ever bought?

I could be wrong about zaid owning, but I thought he had posted some before and after shots (maybe it was in the manufactured gold thread?)...

would be awesome if we could pinpoint down "the" first dc book church bought, just from a historical standpoint!

it has also been my experience that church books, even with the super minor color touch, seem to sell at the same level as if it didn't have the color touch, so I suspect in a 7.0 slight , or in a 6.5 blue, it is still a killer book :cloud9:

but wonder 1 gets :cloud9: :cloud9: from me!

would be awesome if we could pinpoint down "the" first dc book church bought, just from a historical standpoint!

it has also been my experience that church books, even with the super minor color touch, seem to sell at the same level as if it didn't have the color touch, so I suspect in a 7.0 slight , or in a 6.5 blue, it is still a killer book

but wonder 1 gets from me!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doe anyone have the link for the Church pedigree listing. Was the MF 14 the oldest book on the list?

I don't know which book I would choose. The WM 1 sold for a somewhat higher price. Neither book is particularly liquid. I always wanted a Church book and so my mission is accomplished. Did I pay too much? wouldn't be the first time nor the last. Over time (with all the sales to you ) I own the books for almost nothing. lol:baiting:

What I know, If anyone wants the Church MF 14 there aren't many places to acquire the copy. So I'm happy with it.

it has also been my experience that church books, even with the super minor color touch, seem to sell at the same level as if it didn't have the color touch, so I suspect in a 7.0 slight , or in a 6.5 blue, it is still a killer book

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doe anyone have the link for the Church pedigree listing. Was the MF 14 the oldest book on the list?

I don't know which book I would choose. The WM 1 sold for a somewhat higher price. Neither book is particularly liquid. I always wanted a Church book and so my mission is accomplished. Did I pay too much? wouldn't be the first time nor the last. Over time (with all the sales to you ) I own the books for almost nothing. lol:baiting:

What I know, If anyone wants the Church MF 14 there aren't many places to acquire the copy. So I'm happy with it.

J- are you saying you own that MF 14... cool :golfclap:

J- are you saying you own that MF 14... cool :golfclap:

Yes, but you didn't say anything about the Superman 14 I picked up from Fank (thank you) (the Hitman) in VF- ? :banana:

Edited by jkrk