• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper age Independants you may have never heard of...

540 posts in this topic

sampeng1.jpg

That's actually pretty awesome cover.

That's why at one point, there were such a demand for anthropomorphic-based books when this was announced there was heavy ordering on the 1st issue.

Like I had mentioned before, even an investment banker talked his company into purchasing a large portion of the first issue which made the news in Comic's Buyers Guide. Not sure whatever happened to that inventory or if they made money.

:blahblah: Who care what a TOOL like you has to say. (shrug):roflmao: I'M :whee: seanfingh and I like to flame posts :flamed: so that makes me a FLAMER. Hey everyone seanfingh is a freaking FLAMER :flamed: even his avitar deals with fire lol:roflmao:

LOSER WHO HAS NO LIFE BUT FIND FORUMS TO PUT OTHERS DOWN SO HE CAN BUILD UP HIS NUBERS OF POSTS. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

I don't want you to go away from this mad but just go away. lol lol lol lol lol

:o

(shrug)

I guess I have a troll. Apparently, I got the last pick in the troll lottery though. :cry:

Let's at least make this copper specific. Maybe you have a troll-lord? hm

92323.jpg.e7c5600ce8dacad15289767ed771de95.jpg

Ok, who wants me to break out the most obscure 80's garbage you'll ever see?

Fire away! Sad thing is, I probably spent money on it back then doh!

are you waiting for a petition or something?

:taptaptap:

Quiet, you!

I'm nothing if not a master procrastinator.

:zzz:

:blahblah: Who care what a TOOL like you has to say. (shrug):roflmao: I'M :whee: seanfingh and I like to flame posts :flamed: so that makes me a FLAMER. Hey everyone seanfingh is a freaking FLAMER :flamed: even his avitar deals with fire lol:roflmao:

LOSER WHO HAS NO LIFE BUT FIND FORUMS TO PUT OTHERS DOWN SO HE CAN BUILD UP HIS NUBERS OF POSTS. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

I don't want you to go away from this mad but just go away. lol lol lol lol lol

:o

(shrug)

I guess I have a troll. Apparently, I got the last pick in the troll lottery though. :cry:

Let's at least make this copper specific. Maybe you have a troll-lord? hm

I remember at the time everyone was after that book. The #1 was going for around $40.00 in my area at one time. That along with Elflord. It soon fizzled and was in the $1.00 box at the local cons. :cry:

DRX

I remember at the time everyone was after that book. The #1 was going for around $40.00 in my area at one time. That along with Elflord. It soon fizzled and was in the $1.00 box at the local cons. :cry:

DRX

And it happened rather fast.

I was stationed at Fort Stewart, GA when those books heated up, and there was a dealer outside the main gate who catered to soldiers.

One month, he had Samurai 1 and Elflord 1 on the wall for $40-$60. Three-four months later, he had them in the box for $2-$5.

I never did track down a Troll-Lord #1, though.

DRX

I was stationed at Fort Stewart, GA when those books heated up, and there was a dealer outside the main gate who catered to soldiers.

One month, he had Samurai 1 and Elflord 1 on the wall for $40-$60. Three-four months later, he had them in the box for $2-$5.

Troll-Lords was the 1st book that I ever wanted to speculate on, but failed miserably. I was 15, so i had no transport save a 10 speed. Also, I didn't understand how to pre-order books, or in fact how the distriburtion system for comics worked. So I called all the shops in town, almost none of them had ordered any, and the three or four shops that were in the middle of the Black and White Explosion boom times, laughed at me like I was Richard Pryor. :boo:

DRX

...and the three or four shops that were in the middle of the Black and White Explosion boom times, laughed at me like I was Richard Pryor. :boo:

Welllll, your avatar is on fire ... :whistle:

I recall Troll Lords #1 (as was Fish Police #1) was one of the more sought after books at the time and was commanding $60 at Hi-De-Ho.

Fish Police #1 was $45-$60 for a lot longer than many of the other B&Ws. Even after the price guides started showing a large drop in value, dealers would not acknowledge the change because demand was still there.

I still think that is one of the undervalued books from that period.

yeah, well, i bought the Fish Police reprint because i thought it would follow the first printing into the high dollar stratosphere.

i was, and will always remain, a terrible terrible comic book flipper

yeah, well, i bought the Fish Police reprint because i thought it would follow the first printing into the high dollar stratosphere.

i was, and will always remain, a terrible terrible comic book flipper

Your unflinching devotion to the Doom Patrol makes up for it.

Anybody know what the print runs of some these were?

Fish Police #1

Trollords #1

Samurai #1

Boris the Bear #1

someones trying to tell me that compared to 90`s dreck, thier print runs isn`t as high as I might have thought?

Well I'm not sure of their print runs, but I'm pretty damn certain that compared to the over-printed early 90s books (especially those from Marvel, Image and post-Unity Valiant), their print runs are practically tiny (thumbs u

For God's sake, I still remember an editorial from Triumphant Comics (publishers of Chromium Man, Doctor Chaos, Riot Gear and other "masterpieces" :sick: ) proudly exclaiming that "their books would remain collectible because they only printed up to 150K of each issue". (I'm not sure of the exact number - might've been higher and it almost certainly wasn't lower!)

We're talking thousands of trees having gone to waste in the 90s, dude. :P

I think a really hot black and white indie from the 80's would have a print run of 20-25k. Pretty high by today's standards for a goofy anthropomorphic funnybook but back then they were pretty popular and more people were buying them. I know plenty of popular indie books had print runs in the low thousands though. It's weird. I would sometimes read an editorial for some totally amateur garbage book and they would mention a print run of "only fifteen thousand." and excellent professional quality books would have print runs a fraction of that.