• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper age Independants you may have never heard of...

540 posts in this topic

Always enjoyed this run. Hope nobody posted it yet.scandalgoda10001.jpg

Image isn't coming up, but was it this book? If so, I loved the first issue. I never got a chance to read any others.

dalgoda1.jpg

:applause:

yes sir, thats the one that got me. (thumbs u

Me too!

:applause:

Can someone please tell me why SOLAR:Man Of The Atom #10 in CGC 9.8 Goes for so much money? is it just because of the black cover?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Solar-Man-Of-The-Atom-10-CGC-9-8-FREE-S-H_W0QQitemZ180434825305QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2a02c0f059

1) 50,000 print run to start with.

http://www.valiantfan.com/valiant/issue.asp?cn=623

2) Due to the pure black cover, many arrived scuffed or had stress lines to begin with.

3) Of the 284 submitted, only 32 came back 9.8 and none are higher.

I've been looking for years and now only have one (1) 9.8 out of any I have ever bought or happened across. It's a tough one!

1) 50,000 print run to start with.

http://www.valiantfan.com/valiant/issue.asp?cn=623

2) Due to the pure black cover, many arrived scuffed or had stress lines to begin with.

I've been looking for years and now only have one (1) 9.8 out of any I have ever bought or happened across. It's a tough one!

Do comic publishers ''enjoy'' makeing high grade collectors suffer?

Here's a couple I haven't seen in here yet :shy:

UncesoredMouse1.jpg

UncesoredMouse2.jpg

Are these so nasty they have to have all black covers or something? lol

lol no they are just old Mickey Mouse strips from the 30's. Not really sure what they were censoring back then (shrug)

i remember when these were released, wasent it that they have alot of racial stereotypes that were the norm back then?

That's it.

I sold my #1 and #2 last year to make room, but I remember they were fairly racy stories which is why Disney supposedly sued to block any further publication.

They were public domain reprints of very old Mickey Mouse comic strips. And yeah, there was some politically incorrect racial stuff in there. Being public domain it is legal to republish as long as you don't infringe on Disney's trademarks or potentially trick people into thinking they are buying a Disney licensed product. Which is why it was called Uncensored Mouse with all black covers, no Disney anything there.

What I read somewhere (and can't confirm) is Disney claimed they reused some of the republished old strip art for something and it wasn't in public domain. If they didn't want to get sued for violating their copyright they had to stop publishing.

Which they did.

Racist and if memory serves - more violent than the usual MM strips from the era. They were hot for about 3 months - at one point selling for $10 each.

Does anybody have the Rio Kid mini series put out by Eternity back in '91? Not the Doug Wildey character, but a private eye series from Brazil, created by Alberto Saichann. I only ever found issue #3 (though I haven't looked too hard in the internet era). great stuff, I'd love to pick up the first two issues. here is a link to an article about the series.

http://www.thrillingdetective.com/rio_kid.html

Tipper Gore blamed violence in movies and video games on the problems with children becoming violent. This title was a play on that. I believe it was issue #5 that has a Robert Williams cover. This title is probably considered a modern Underground. I believe there was supposed to be an issue #6 (per issue 5) that never came out (I think it was also supposed to have a Robert Williams cover if I recall correctly).

Oops, should be ...blamed the problems with children becoming violent on the violence in movies and video games...