• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,792 posts in this topic

Spent most of the day with at Terry's booth  during the recent con.  I browsed the rooms during the deal  as well as after it was completed.  In the small side room I found a nice dealer named James  and worked out a trade for these.  A few more nice early holes  were filled

fc 276 Uncle Wiggily.jpg

FC 118 Lone Ranger.jpg

FC 47 Gene Autry.jpg

22 hours ago, jmg3637 said:

Spent most of the day with at Terry's booth  during the recent con.  I browsed the rooms during the deal  as well as after it was completed.  In the small side room I found a nice dealer named James  and worked out a trade for these.  A few more nice early holes  were filled

FC 118 Lone Ranger.jpg

All are great, especially Lone Ranger :applause:

I got a nice late Four Color 1157 off the boards this week and an early Gold Key movie comic that would have been a Four Color if that series kept going. They are both fun books with great interior artwork. I haven't picked up books like this in awhile and they reminded me how much fun the Four Color and Gold Key series was in its day. Both are Jules Verne adaptations although one is a Disney movie and the other is not. The movies of this era were a lot of fun; I'd love to watch these.

tn_MasteroftheWorld1157.jpg.7da35ee11b22c6224c099983c78f0128.jpg

tn_InSearchofCastaways.jpg.e339fb2e23086143a01f3e9d5578a5e5.jpg

22 minutes ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I got a nice late Four Color 1157 off the boards this week and an early Gold Key movie comic that would have been a Four Color if that series kept going. They are both fun books with great interior artwork. I haven't picked up books like this in awhile and they reminded me how much fun the Four Color and Gold Key series was in its day. Both are Jules Verne adaptations although one is a Disney movie and the other is not. The movies of this era were a lot of fun; I'd love to watch these.

tn_MasteroftheWorld1157.jpg.7da35ee11b22c6224c099983c78f0128.jpg

tn_InSearchofCastaways.jpg.e339fb2e23086143a01f3e9d5578a5e5.jpg

Nice.  I guess we could supplement the Dell Missing Four Colors with Gold Key Woulda Been Four Colors.  I assume all the non-squentially-numbered early GKs would fall into that category.  My hazy recollection, though, is that GK kept publishing non-sequentially-numbered books for at least several years, so it would involve a lot of books. 

46 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Nice.  I guess we could supplement the Dell Missing Four Colors with Gold Key Woulda Been Four Colors.  I assume all the non-squentially-numbered early GKs would fall into that category.  My hazy recollection, though, is that GK kept publishing non-sequentially-numbered books for at least several years, so it would involve a lot of books. 

Yeah, the newstand section of Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics gives you an idea if you march through sequentially. 

On 2/23/2018 at 9:39 PM, Badger said:

I picked up one off of eBay. I know Duck book prices have taken a beating in the last ten years but I almost feel like I stole this one.:shy::luhv: (Please forgive the bad composite scan)

Seems like Duck prices are heading North again.

13 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

That's what I was thinking so I was surprised to find this at the price I paid.  Looking at GPA I see that prices have been all over the place since 2003.  A low of, supposedly, $1,131 in 2003 and a high of $10,755 in 2006 :whatthe:. A copy sold last year for $5,019 and I paid half of that this year.

This must be a book that is really dependent on the market where it is being sold. Oh well, I'm happy and this is going into my "Pry it from my cold dead hands" pile. :) 

This is one of the few Four Colors I actually purchased/

Long before I started with my Trading quest I was buying Andy Panda's  for my daughter  who  loved anything Panda related.  I bought almost all of the Four Colors Panda;s  for her

I also got an even earlier Andy that was a tall skinny book

fc 025 Andy Panda.jpg

On 2/27/2018 at 2:52 PM, Badger said:
On 2/27/2018 at 1:32 AM, sfcityduck said:

That's what I was thinking so I was surprised to find this at the price I paid.  Looking at GPA I see that prices have been all over the place since 2003.  A low of, supposedly, $1,131 in 2003 and a high of $10,755 in 2006 :whatthe:. A copy sold last year for $5,019 and I paid half of that this year.

This must be a book that is really dependent on the market where it is being sold. Oh well, I'm happy and this is going into my "Pry it from my cold dead hands" pile. :) 

There have been at least a couple of really active bidders on high-grade Duck books listed on Heritage's Sunday auctions.  If it's only two people, then prices may trend down once they move on.  But it's also possible that Heritage's international reach has brought a number of new collectors into the Duck market.

47 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

There have been at least a couple of really active bidders on high-grade Duck books listed on Heritage's Sunday auctions.  If it's only two people, then prices may trend down once they move on.  But it's also possible that Heritage's international reach has brought a number of new collectors into the Duck market.

The census topping FC 456 (US 2) 9.4 (white) I sold recently garnered a strong price from a domestic collector in a private sale.  The other FC 456 9.4 (white) sold around 10 years ago to a European collector in a private sale.  So foreign collectors have been around for quite a while in the Duck area, there are still active domestic Duck collectors, and both are willing to pay strong prices for "rare in grade" books in non-auction settings. 

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

The census topping FC 456 (US 2) 9.4 (white) I sold recently garnered a strong price from a domestic collector in a private sale.  The other FC 456 9.4 (white) sold around 10 years ago to a European collector in a private sale.  So foreign collectors have been around for quite a while in the Duck area, there are still active domestic Duck collectors, and both are willing to pay strong prices for "rare in grade" books in non-auction settings. 

Very true. I often wonder if the DD #26 CGC 9.2 highest graded that Metro had for a couple of years finally sold at the asking price, ~$5200, or if it went back into the original owner's collection. Extremely tough book to find in 9.0 or higher with only (5) 9.0s  and (1) 9.2.