• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,792 posts in this topic

On 3/20/2018 at 8:50 AM, Sqeggs said:

I'm not, not, not trying to do the whole run.  I'd be crazy to try, right?  Talk me out of it! :cry:

I think you know the answer to your question. Do it anyway. :baiting:

On 3/22/2018 at 7:42 PM, AJD said:

I think you know the answer to your question. Do it anyway. :baiting:

I'm sinking further into the pit!

A "File copy" that appears to be an actual, you know, file copy.  Highest graded, although I don't doubt there are better ones out there still raw.

lf_zps07hzewjw.JPG

19 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

A "File copy" that appears to be an actual, you know, file copy.  Highest graded, although I don't doubt there are better ones out there still raw.

lf_zps07hzewjw.JPG

Very nice reference Copy.  Also a nice  pickup of a full high grade Zorro Run .

I do think you have already made the decision and taken the red pill .  How many Four COlors do you have?

I now have 1100 but with grades all over the place.  Yours all seem to be high grade.

Here are the last 2 from the batch with Blissard last year.  They may be low grade,  but I am thrilled to pick up a couple of First Series books

I do have another batch coming from him soon

fc FS 13 bc.jpg

fc FS 13 Reluctant Dragon.jpg

fc FS 11 bc.jpg

fc FS 11 Smitty.jpg

You are way, way ahead of me.  I think I might have about 300 or so.  The ones I've picked up lately have mostly been 8.0 and up, but I also have some raw copies that are in the VG range. 

20 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I was in Orlando so the mood struck me :smile:

ABD9C1CB-B114-4B71-B5D0-560CAFC4E38F.thumb.jpeg.7143bbf5f77b5381a2cafbb6fe0c07c4.jpeg

Nice.  One of the many holes in my Four Color run. 

Of course, Walt Kelly did a lot of DD covers for WDC&S, but I believe that this was one of his very few DD stories.  He had another one in FC 92, but I can't think of any more off the top of my head.

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:59 PM, Sqeggs said:

lf_zps07hzewjw.JPG

You might be surprised how few copies there that are better than this around. A lot of these Zane Grey books are impossibly hard to find in high grade. Drift Fence being the most notable of the tough books.

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 3:50 PM, Sqeggs said:

I'm not, not, not trying to do the whole run.  I'd be crazy to try, right?  Talk me out of it! :cry:

lf_zpsohr5jy2m.jpg

It's a labor of love my friend...Unlike a Spider-Man or other such collection it takes more than just a wad of cash to find these books. I have actively been working on the run for 11 years now. I have bought about half raw and had them  graded. The other half just clicking the "bid" button!  You have picked up a lot of nice books!

9 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Picked up two more.  I thought the Peter Pan looks nice for the grade (at least from the front!). A bit surprised that the Flash Gordon is tied for highest graded. 

00296061675000111305921006.jpg

00322931685000110155508002.jpg

Another couple nice additions 

Time to finally begin posting the books I got from Terry himself  at the Yorba Linda show.  Might just as well start  with another nice Flash Gordon 512

FC 512 Flash Gordon.jpg

FC 512 bc.jpg

fc 523 Rin Tin Tin.jpg

fc 497 bc.jpg

fc 497 Zorro.jpg

On 2/19/2018 at 10:30 AM, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I got a nice late Four Color 1157 off the boards this week and an early Gold Key movie comic that would have been a Four Color if that series kept going. They are both fun books with great interior artwork. I haven't picked up books like this in awhile and they reminded me how much fun the Four Color and Gold Key series was in its day. Both are Jules Verne adaptations although one is a Disney movie and the other is not. The movies of this era were a lot of fun; I'd love to watch these.

tn_InSearchofCastaways.jpg.e339fb2e23086143a01f3e9d5578a5e5.jpg

Hey did anyone else catch "In Search of the Castaways" on TCM last week? It's funny how they just showed it after I just got this book and read it a few weeks back. The adaptation was actually pretty well done and closely followed the story. It made me wonder if these books came out before or after the movie was released to the theater. So I had to look; IMDB gives a Christmas release date of December 21, 1962 for the film and Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics newstand section lists December 1962 as the comic release. So they look to be concurrent.

Edited by 40YrsCollctngCmcs

Here are a few more I got from Terry.  Man did he get some nice books from my old  dealer stock

As I am getting closer to completion i am focusing my trades on higher grade books (for me that is only say 6.0)  At least for the mid to later portion of the run  500 and up.  Try to get at least a 3.0 for anything over 100, but will go for lower for first series or the first 100

FC 1261 Rawhide.jpg

fc 1261 bc.jpg

fc 1196 Pixie and Dixie.jpg

fc 1196 bc.jpg

fc 1113 Wells Fargo.jpg

fc 1113 bc.jpg

19 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Hey did anyone else catch "In Search of the Castaways" on TCM last week? It's funny how they just showed it after I just got this book and read it a few weeks back. The adaptation was actually pretty well done and closely followed the story. It made me wonder if these books came out before or after the movie was released to the theater. So I had to look; IMDB gives a Christmas release date of December 21, 1962 for the film and Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics newstand section lists December 1962 as the comic release. So they look to be concurrent.

I would guess Disney wanted the comics to appear around the release date for the movies because I assume the comics were meant, in part, to promote the movies.

14 hours ago, jmg3637 said:

Here are a few more I got from Terry.  Man did he get some nice books from my old  dealer stock

As I am getting closer to completion i am focusing my trades on higher grade books (for me that is only say 6.0)  At least for the mid to later portion of the run  500 and up.  Try to get at least a 3.0 for anything over 100, but will go for lower for first series or the first 100

FC 1261 Rawhide.jpg

fc 1196 Pixie and Dixie.jpg

As a kid, I was a big fan of Rawhide (and the great Frankie Lane theme song).  Haven't seen one in years and I have a suspicion the episodes haven't held up well.  I watched an episode of Bonanza a couple of years ago and was surprised at how obvious it was when they were shooting supposedly outdoor scenes on indoor sets.  As a kid, I never noticed it.

I remember the theme song quite well..   Head em up. Move em out RAWHIDE

The end of the Four Color Run does coincide with my childhood, so many of the covers bring back memories

Here are a few more from my recent Trade with Terry

fc 1107 Buckskin.jpg

fc 1107 bc.jpg

fc 1093 Mackenzie's Raiders.jpg

fc 1093 bc.jpg

fc 941 Pluto.jpg

fc 941 bc.jpg

fc 928 Sea Hunt.jpg

I wonder why I did not rebag  that Sea Hunt.  The wrinkles really detract from the image

I have almost all of my Four Colors ( and silver or older books) are  stored in at least mylites if not 2 mil mylar bags with acid free boards.

They look and keep so much better.

Just got in another batch from Blissard  including a few CGC books

7 hours ago, jmg3637 said:

I wonder why I did not rebag  that Sea Hunt.  The wrinkles really detract from the image

I have almost all of my Four Colors ( and silver or older books) are  stored in at least mylites if not 2 mil mylar bags with acid free boards.

They look and keep so much better.

Just got in another batch from Blissard  including a few CGC books

I can just barely remember seeing some episodes of Sea Hunt (probably in reruns) as a kid.  Given the comic roles Lloyd Bridges played in Airplane and other movies late in his career, somehow the intent stare he has on this cover seems a bit goofy to me. 

I got in the shipment from Blissard the other day.  Thrilled to be adding some more CGC books to my small group as well as several early Roy Rogers.  I think that that will bring me to 11 total CGC Four Color

while I go over those  Here are some of the mid-run issues  from my trade with Terry

fc 898 Silvertip.jpg

fc 898 bc.jpg

fc 809 Little People.jpg

fc 809 bc.jpg

fc 705 Brave Eagle.jpg

fc 705 bc.jpg

fc 640 Western Marshall.jpg

fc 640 bc.jpg