• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,792 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, John Stewart said:

In my collection for 40 years, possibly an unread copy, but pages are off white.

64997B98-CEA2-4044-9BB7-A603C72BCAFE.jpeg

Gorgeous! :applause:

And welcome to the Boards!

21 hours ago, John Stewart said:

In my collection for 40 years, possibly an unread copy, but pages are off white.

64997B98-CEA2-4044-9BB7-A603C72BCAFE.jpeg

That's as nice a copy of an early Four Color as I've ever seen.  Welcome to the boards!

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:55 AM, Sqeggs said:

Possibly a missing Four Color (1353, although @4GEMWORKS also has a 77 Sunset Strip in that slot).  In any event, it's a tough book and I ended up paying a lot more for it than I had expected.

twi6.4a.jpg

I do have this, dual slotted, I think. My best copy is a Fine. Really tough to find. Another tough one I got really luck on was Little Lulu and Tubby in Japan (around missing 1320). I got luck and ground a pretty good copy in Terry's comic catalogue. I need to post some more pictures on of t hese days of some of teh missing issues.

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:58 AM, Sqeggs said:

Also picked up this one cheap, probably because of the really bad miscut.  Kind of unusual on a Dell book, I think.

00560341570000110330651013_zps1yu8vswh.JPG

I'm glad they inserted "Duck Album" in the comments section. Otherwise i might not have known...

2 hours ago, 4GEMWORKS said:

I'm glad they inserted "Duck Album" in the comments section. Otherwise i might not have known...

Yeah, it's weird that they do that for all the Four Colors.  Why bother since you're staring at the same info in the title on the front cover of the book? (shrug)

11 minutes ago, atomised said:

random question.  Are the Dell Walt Disney's Comics and Stories considered a Four Color book?

Thanks

Nope.  The Four Color series was its own separate series.  I don't think it actually says "Four Color" anywhere in the indicia, iirc.  That name was given to the series in the early days of fandom by Don and Maggie Thompson.  I think Overstreet has a writeup on it at the beginning of his listing of them.

There were some Duck comics included in the Four Color series -- including some of Barks's best DD stories and the first three issues of Uncle Scrooge.  But WDC&S was a separate Dell series.

Edited by Sqeggs
Typo

4 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Nope.  The Four Color series was its own separate series.  I don't think it actually says "Four Color" anywhere in the indicia, iirc.  That name was given to the series in the early days of fandom by Don and Maggie Thompson.  I think Overstreet has a writeup on it at the beginning of his listing of them.

There were some Duck comics included in the Four Color series -- including some of Barks's best DD stories and the first three issues of Uncle Scrooge.  But WDC&S was a separate Dell series.

got it, thank you for clarifying.

Some of the earlier four color had it printed on the cover, They also usually had the numbering on the first page, usually in the bottom left panel OS18 in the case of the issue below which stood for One Shot 18

18.jpg.01c165fd63ded9875a420ea9905974c3.jpg

Finally got around to looking at Overstreet: "Note: Four Color only appears on issues #19-25, 1-99, 101.  Dell Publishing Co. filed these as Series I, #1-25, and Series II #1-1354."  I think in early editions, he gave credit to Don and Maggie for figuring this out, but maybe I'm misremembering.