• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,792 posts in this topic

Four Color 226 -- the cannibal cover!

What the heck is Porky Pig doing with a ham around his house?

I always knew Porky had dark secrets :devil:

:applause:

Cannibal cover (shrug)

A pig eating pork / ham / bacon ... ;)

OK, take your pot-shots at the condition, but here are four that I'm glad to have any copy of!

Four Color 19 -- one of my favorite covers of the run. A rousing adventure story with great artwork inside too!

FC19.jpg

Four Color 63 -- very early Roy Rogers

FC63.jpg

Four Color 71 -- Walt Kelly artwork and supposedly one of the toughest books in the run.

FC71.jpg

Four Color 129 -- supposed to be another tough one, but Gerber gives it SI 3. (#$%^ rust and water damage)

FC129.jpg

Jack

OK, take your pot-shots at the condition, but here are four that I'm glad to have any copy of!

Four Color 19 -- one of my favorite covers of the run. A rousing adventure story with great artwork inside too!

FC19.jpg

Jack

Nothing wrong with those books. Sometimes, it's an accomplishment just to find the early #s. Here's my #19 I found just last week:

FourColor19fc.jpg

FC19.jpg

Jack

Nothing wrong with those books. Sometimes, it's an accomplishment just to find the early #s. Here's my #19 I found just last week:

FourColor19fc.jpg

I saw yours and was jealous when you posted it (mentioning half-price box), but I didn't have long to stay jealous. I can't complain about the price I paid. (I can complain about the total amount I spent today though. Oy.)

Jack

Still from the MH batch?

Nope, local show. There may be some duplicates for you too.

Jack

OOOOhhh goody goody ... Of course, when I'll see them is anybody's guess meh:baiting:

I have a 1106 & 1161 ready to pick up at my LCS and who knows what my local show tomorrow morning will turn up :wishluck:

Four Color 71 -- Walt Kelly artwork and supposedly one of the toughest books in the run.

Four Color 129 -- supposed to be another tough one, but Gerber gives it SI 3. (#$%^ rust and water damage)

Jack

Great group of books. My observation in collecting four colors for many years is that in fact most of these are really hard to come by in nice condition but a little easier in the lower grades.

I have probably seen more Three Caballeros over the years than either the Dwarf book or the Song of the South book. I don't recall ever seeing the Dwarf book in high grade compared to Caballeros and Song of the South which I have. That would make the Dwarf book the toughest of your bunch from my view. If anyone must read the Dwarf story (and I think it is a must read for dedicated Disney collectors) it was reprinted in the Disney digest magazine in the early seventies. That was the first time I saw it and that inspired me to seek out some of the originals.

Harder books for me have been Snow White which I just got a nice copy after over thirty years of looking, Dumbo (still looking for a nice copy) and Reluctant Dragon (looking to upgrade.) Bambi and Bambi's Children seem more plentiful and always seem to be available as is Pinnochio. Of this bunch Reluctant Dragon is highly elusive but a very cool book if you can find one.

Anyway, they all have great stories and art so enjoy them. If it makes you feel any better my first copy of Song of the South was probably in the same condition as this. Luckily I found a nicer copy to upgrade many years ago at a nice price.

Still from the MH batch?

Nope, local show. There may be some duplicates for you too.

Jack

OOOOhhh goody goody ... Of course, when I'll see them is anybody's guess meh:baiting:

Tit for tat -- you can bug me about being slow about rummaging through the piles (and please keep at it), but I can trump that just by showing my Four Color 93!

I have a 1106 & 1161 ready to pick up at my LCS and who knows what my local show tomorrow morning will turn up :wishluck:

Good luck. Sellers seem generally happy to find customers for their moribund Dell stock.

Jack

Snow White and Dumbo were reprinted recently and can be picked up at your local book store.

I have a nice Song of the South but some of the other Disney books have been harder to find

and the reprint looks pretty good.

2573395494_7d44c49f07_b.jpg

2203157373_6df05d6e8e_b.jpg

but I can trump that just by showing my Four Color 93!

:tonofbricks: That's just such a low blow.

At least I can make you jealous of my Ozark Ike ... or maybe not :sorry:

Surprisingly appealing art inside, esp. the coloring that makes this book. Also, the most GGA I've ever seen in a Four Color :o

76998.jpg.760c2c9ce36a2f845a7845f5d3158dbc.jpg

but I can trump that just by showing my Four Color 93!

:tonofbricks: That's just such a low blow.

Yes, but it's all I got!

At least I can make you jealous of my Ozark Ike ... or maybe not :sorry:

76998.jpg

You succeeded! Nice one. Cotton Woods (837) should be by the same artist. You must have that one since I have your double.

Surprisingly appealing art inside, esp. the coloring that makes this book. Also, the most GGA I've ever seen in a Four Color :o

Even The Parent Trap?

Hang on, maybe I shouldn't mention Hayley that way...

43519-mills4.jpg

Jack

You succeeded!

In making you jealous? I got more books including a couple of MJ&S. I assume you have them all?

Here are some of my other pick-ups. I picked up 2 fave DD stories in the mix -

77005.jpg.e700339969fa9fe9a287334212d3f25a.jpg

77008.jpg.6c6db52eaf1703ca5beb845fc475cc07.jpg

77009.jpg.40b82a2e190d2769febdb464f11f8d85.jpg

77010.jpg.befdbb0fc8b7ff1d41e6ce2e33a09551.jpg

77011.jpg.00ac2fa52c3adc29757792cc58446dd0.jpg

You succeeded!

In making you jealous? I got more books including a couple of MJ&S. I assume you have them all?

Who does the art for MJ and S? I noticed that Hubbard did similar work on Peter Wheat. Just wondering.

bb

You succeeded!

Yes, green eyes here (mostly).

Your 205 (great cover) looks much nicer than my Fair.

No 328.

367 in in the mail.

No Mary Jane and Sniffles (*sniff* *sob*)

No 788.

Your copies all look very attractive. All from your local show? Ya done good.

Jack

You succeeded!

Who does the art for MJ and S? I noticed that Hubbard did similar work on Peter Wheat. Just wondering.

bb

Apparently the strip changed hands a lot -- Jerry Bails' Who's Who says about 13 artists (below). The strip does vary during its history, but I can't ID the artists.

I mostly associate the feature with Chase Craig and Al Hubbard -- I didn't know he started on it so late -- so your attribution may be right. I don't know the date of the MJ&S Four Colors.

Jack

ADAMS, KELLOG

DELL PUBLICATIONS

MARY JANE AND SNIFFLES (wr/ink/) c1952-c57 > 52 53 54 55 56 57

ALVARADO, PETE

DELL PUBLICATIONS

MARY JANE AND SNIFFLES (pen/) 1958 > 58

ANDERSON, HARRY

DELL PUBLICATIONS

SNIFFLES AND MARY JANE (pen/ink/) 1941-43 > 41 42 43

ARMSTRONG, ROGER

DELL PUBLICATIONS

MARY JANE AND SNIFFLES (wr/pen/ink/) 1942-44 > 42 43 44

SNIFFLES AND MARY JANE (pen/ink/) 1941-43 > 41 42 43

CHRISTENSEN, DON

DELL PUBLICATIONS

MARY JANE AND SNIFFLES (wr/) 1958-60 > 58 59 60

CRAIG, CHASE

DELL PUBLICATIONS

MARY JANE AND SNIFFLES (wr/pen/ink/) 1941 beginning in LOONEY TUNES AND MERRIE ELODIES #1 > 41

DAVID, MERA

DELL PUBLICATIONS

MARY JANE AND SNIFFLES (wr/) 1943-44 > 43 44

DELL PUBLICATIONS

Title published

MARY JANE AND SNIFFLES 4-COLOR #402,474 1952-53 > 52 53

FALLBERG, CARL

DELL PUBLICATIONS

MARY JANE AND SNIFFLES (wr/) 1955-57 > 55 56 57

GUNN, DON

DELL PUBLICATIONS

SNIFFLES AND MARY JANE (pen/ink/) 1945-49 in LOONEY TUNES #49-50,53/60/84-87/93/95 > 45 46 47 48 49

HEIMDAHL, RALPH

DELL PUBLICATIONS

MARY JANE AND SNIFFLES (pen/ink/) 1946-48 > 46 47 48

HUBBARD, AL

DELL PUBLICATIONS

MARY JANE AND SNIFFLES (pen/ink/) 1952-61 > 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61

JAEGER, MERA

DELL PUBLICATIONS

SNIFFLES AND MARY JANE (wr/) 1944 > 44

MC KIMSON, ROBERT

Animation: Harmon-Ising

Animator: [for Warner Bros] c1931-c35 Merlin the Magic Mouse; Porky Pig; Sniffles; Speedy Gonzales > 31 32 33 34 35

MOORE, BOB

DELL PUBLICATIONS

MARY JANE AND SNIFFLES (pen/ink/) c1948-c52 unconfirmed > 48 49 50 51 52

PABIAN, JIM

DELL PUBLICATIONS

SNIFFLES AND MARY JANE (wr/pen/ink/) 1949-50 in LOONEY TUNES #97-98,100,104-105 > 49 50

SHEPPARD, DON

DELL PUBLICATIONS

MARY JANE AND SNIFFLES (wr/) 1951-53 > 51 52 53

STROBL, TONY

DELL PUBLICATIONS

MARY JANE AND SNIFFLES (pen/ink/) 1949-c59 > 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59

TURNER, GIL

DELL PUBLICATIONS

SNIFFLES & MARY JANE (wr/pen/ink/let/) 1950 in LOONEY TUNES #103 > 50

WAISS, GEORGE

DELL PUBLICATIONS

SNIFFLES AND MARY JANE (pen/ink/let/) 1945 in LOONEY TUNES #47 & 48 > 45