• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,792 posts in this topic

and here are more of the recently scanned and ready hole fillers. Hope somebody else adds more, as I am running out of new material.

:applause: Thanks for posting those. As I mentioned, I have about 10+ I need to scan to fill holes, just need to find the time + I picked up 55 FCs at Chicago Con so I probably will have a couple more filling holes.

This is the result of the best $3 I've spent this year at the show :D

83674.jpg

THREE FREAKIN' DOLLARS!

If you were were a true gentleman, you would have let Sharon at the boxes first. :sumo:

It sounds like Chicago was a roaring success for Four Color hunting.

Congrats!

Jack

Nice buy. :applause:

The seller must've thought he was pricing Andy Panda #54, not Four Color 54. :whistle:

The seller mustn't have been a Charlie the Chicken fan ... and who could blame him :P

and here are more of the recently scanned and ready hole fillers. Hope somebody else adds more, as I am running out of new material.

:applause: Thanks for posting those. As I mentioned, I have about 10+ I need to scan to fill holes, just need to find the time + I picked up 55 FCs at Chicago Con so I probably will have a couple more filling holes.

Can you believe that a great book from over 60 years ago for less than the price of a new book.

The Andy Panda's were the about the only four colors that I bought. My daughter LOVES panda'a so we have been getting her panda stuff. SHe is mostly over it at 19, but still loves Andy. I must have bought her 50 Andy stuff over the years.

Great stuff Scrooge - what a wonderfully varied run this is.

Here's one that I got today (not new to the thread but I haven't seen it in the 16 months I've been around here).

This was the first Pogo and Albert outside of Animal Comics.

FC105.jpg

BTW, dunno if anyone else is surprised, but I did a real double take when I saw the very first drawings of Pogo (Animal Comics #1):

first_pogo_animal_comics_1.jpg

Has any character changed more??

Great stuff Scrooge - what a wonderfully varied run this is.

Here's one that I got today (not new to the thread but I haven't seen it in the 16 months I've been around here).

This was the first Pogo and Albert outside of Animal Comics.

FC105.jpg

WOW! I have one of those, but it's so delicate that I can't scan a page.

Yours looks very solid. What a classic!

BTW, dunno if anyone else is surprised, but I did a real double take when I saw the very first drawings of Pogo (Animal Comics #1):

first_pogo_animal_comics_1.jpg

Has any character changed more??

Captain Marvel?

Jack

Bruce Andrson must have been quite a Four Color fan -- I have several of his.

Too bad he didn't stop to buy an "e".

I got this one from you in June lol

I'm quite happy with my haul b/c I got to fill a lot of holes in the mid-300's and plenty of 400's where I was quite weak (of course I don't have many below 200 but that's to be expected).

Bruce Andrson must have been quite a Four Color fan -- I have several of his.

Too bad he didn't stop to buy an "e".

I got this one from you in June lol

Well then -- I have one fewer than I thought!

I'm quite happy with my haul b/c I got to fill a lot of holes in the mid-300's and plenty of 400's where I was quite weak (of course I don't have many below 200 but that's to be expected).

The dreaded Mile High Comics was useful for some sub-200 holes.

Jack

The dreaded Mile High Comics was useful for some sub-200 holes.

Jack

NERD ALERT

I finally found a few minutes to digitize my FC Want / Have list. :banana:

The saying goes: The first 100 and the last 100 are tough in the Four Color hunt.

I graphed my percentage completion per range of 100 and it's surprisingly very normal. It also reflects what I stated above that Chicago has been very good to me in the 300's as before the show last weekend, my % completed in that range would have been much lower.

If this is a snapshot of the FC series popularity itself, it seems that as super-heroes first (after WWII), then romance (after the glut), then horror (after the Code) fell out of favor in succession the major winner was the Dell mainstain series. The resurgence of super-heroes and other adventure series also marked the time of waning for the Four Color series.

83936.jpg.412c2d2bbf9d514d0c5f288830470d50.jpg

Have I mentioned how much I love comics-related graphs and charts. (thumbs u

Then you are going to love the few pages starting here . :whistle:

Self-promoting link alert! :baiting: .

Of course, I had already read them, Andrew. (And yeah, that kind of stuff is exactly what I'm talking about! (thumbs u )

Have you taken into account the missing issues in your 1200-1300 ranges?

I have my spreadsheet set up to automatically talley how many books I have in not only each 100 range, but in each final 2 digit range as well ( i.e. i have 11 of the 14 possible books that end in 50, but only 1 book that ends in 83)

being the actuary that I am I also let it calculate the mean and standard deviation of the totals both ways.

By the way my best section is the 1000's where I now have 74 of them

Have you taken into account the missing issues in your 1200-1300 ranges?

That's why I used percentages so the graph didn't abnormally drop off on the right (thumbs u

I lucked into the 700's because of what my LCS had on hand.

Also, I should have mentioned that the slow rise from the below 100, 100's and 200's is also related to price. Once you hit 300+, price becomes less of an issue. At this point I don't know what my strategy should be. I know I want to keep on picking them as I see them but for the early numbers I'll to be more aggressive.

I missed out on a nice Bambi a.k.a. 30 on eBay 10 minutes ago :frustrated: